U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC or Seattle for my place to live?
New York City 22 62.86%
Seattle 13 37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2017, 01:37 AM

5 posts, read 9,116 times

Advertisements

I got a job offer that allows me to choose between their NYC (Manhattan) location and Seattle (downtown) location. I'm really stuck, so I'd greatly appreciate the help on deciding.

They're both similar professionally, as I'd be working on equally exciting projects (tech field) in either city.

I briefly visited both cities (more like Manhattan for NYC), and I've come up with a Pros and Cons list based on my limited experiences with both cities:

NYC

Pros:
  • The energy! Maybe the noise and hustle and bustle are turnoffs for lots of people, but to me the city felt...alive.
  • The diversity. I went to school in Nashville, which, although a metropolitan city, lacks diversity. I felt awkward being a person of color sometimes. My hometown Houston felt like a melting pot, and NYC felt even moreso like one.
  • Public transportation, by far. I'd rather walk and take the subway to work than drive from a suburb. At least I can save money by not buying a car, whereas Seattle made me feel like a car might be necessary.
  • Speaking of walking, how walkable NYC is.

Cons:
  • Higher cost of living. In Manhattan, the average menu item costs $20+. Not to mention the high rent. Granted, NYC and Seattle actually have fairly similar prices, BUT Seattle's prices give more square footage AND take me downtown, whereas those same prices in NYC would force me to live in Brooklyn or Queens (which I wouldn't mind, but I'd like to stay close to the heart of a city whenever possible).
  • The abrasive attitudes. I've met the friendliest people in NYC to the rudest. There's a distinct "me first" attitude that might annoy me after several months of living.

Seattle

Pros:
  • The natural surroundings are GORGEOUS. Views of the ocean and Ranier took my breath away. Everything was lush green
  • Mild climate. As someone from Houston, the gray skies are a trivial trade-off for the cool summers
  • The sizeable youth culture (I felt the city had a very "young" vibe to it).
  • NO INCOME TAX
  • More affordable city to live in!

Cons:
  • I've heard rumors of Seattle's passive-aggression. Not a fan.
  • I've also heard of people keeping to themselves so much that it's hard to establish a group of friends.
  • Perhaps I was spoiled by Manhattan, but downtown didn't have the same bustling feeling NYC did
  • Seems a bit less diverse than NYC
  • Public transportation was lacking in comparison.

It's more about the Pros than anything. Both places have very appealing traits. If NYC had the natural surroundings of Seattle, that would be perfect.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 05:14 AM

20,108 posts, read 21,722,272 times
What's your budget and where in the cities would your office be located?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,335,427 times
GL OP. You are in an envious position.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM

20,203 posts, read 28,238,032 times
Quite frankly I would given the toss up consider geographic location. NYC is a bit over an hour by train to Philly and 4 hours to either DC or Boston, not to mention hundreds of easy couple hour flights to 2/3 of the US. Seattle is somewhat isolated in the Pacific NW with Portland and Vancouver the only major cities remotely close.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM

11,403 posts, read 13,950,805 times
That's a tough call. I would pick Seattle, for the natural beauty.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:54 PM

769 posts, read 448,156 times
Sounds like you'll be happy in either, but based on what you've written I think you'll be slightly happier in NYC. Seattle while a cultured place does not have as much energy being a much smaller city. You can only enjoy Seattle's nature on the weekends anyway since they're outside of the city but you can enjoy New York's energy, food and cultural amenities every day.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 9,116 times
Thanks everyone! mkwensky is right. I've decided to go to NYC. And if NYC somehow miraculously bores me, Boston, Philly, and DC aren't too far away.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:19 PM

10,319 posts, read 7,225,131 times
Seattle would be bit cheaper than NYC, it will be less busy and not as crazy, bigger apartments, nice scenery

Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Average menu item $20 in Manhattan? Don't go to fancy restaurants and you won't have that issue!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:18 AM

5,785 posts, read 6,335,815 times
IMO your breakdown is very accurate and your decision is sound. While I would be happy either way, I too would ultimately pick Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or