U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who VA has MORE in common with?
Northern neighbors (Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania) 25 52.08%
Southern neighbors (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia) 23 47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 AM

368 posts, read 222,357 times

Advertisements

Virginia is a mid-atlantic state and tends to have aspects of both northeast and southern states. But who does Virginia have MORE in common with ???

Personally, I think VA has more in common with the northeast (especially Maryland) in urban population areas, many of its major cities resemble smaller versions of Washington DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia, they often rear towards DC when its comes to shopping, pro sports and even jobs. Many of the suburbs feel the same as DC suburbs, especially Northern Va which by now is dully northeast in every sense of the word.

But I think Virginia's rural & exurban areas can resemble that of North Carolina's. And historically, VA was a confederate/slave state, where Richmond was one of the capitals at one point. During the 1700s and early 1800s VA had one of the largest black populations, being about 40-50% black, then the Mississippi delta region got introduced and replaced it as the prime spot for slaves, then further down the line Va blacks left to northern industrial cities during Great migration. The state's culture is mid-atlantic/eastcoast but more southern leaning.

Last edited by Spreadofknowledge; 06-29-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 07:08 AM

777 posts, read 1,030,668 times
Virginia shares qualities from both but the more populated areas (Richmond, Hampton Roads, NOVA) are a little more similar to Maryland and Delaware

Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,913,351 times
VA shares characteristics with it's Northern, Southern and Western neighbors but the region where the vast majority of Virginians live is more reminiscent of it's Northern neighbors so I voted DE, MD and PA. Also, Nova which the most populated and economically important area of the state is heavily tied to DC and MD.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 AM

3,504 posts, read 2,728,798 times
Using the most generous definition, only about a third of Virginians live in NOVA. That leaves two-thirds of the state in areas that are decidedly not Northern, usually unambiguously so, so I feel Virginia has far more in common with its Southern neighbors than Northern ones (which is really just Maryland and DC; Delaware nor Pennsylvania border Virginia).

Old 06-29-2017, 08:25 AM

27,729 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Using the most generous definition, only about a third of Virginians live in NOVA. That leaves two-thirds of the state in areas that are decidedly not Northern, usually unambiguously so, so I feel Virginia has far more in common with its Southern neighbors than Northern ones (which is really just Maryland and DC; Delaware nor Pennsylvania border Virginia).
States don't have to directly border each other to be neighbors.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,913,351 times
Quote:
but neither does SC and GA?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 AM

3,504 posts, read 2,728,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
States don't have to directly border each other to be neighbors.
How so? Would you consider New York and Ohio neighbors? Washington and California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
but neither does SC and GA?
Good point.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM

27,729 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
How so? Would you consider New York and Ohio neighbors? Washington and California?
Actually, yes. I tend to consider states that share some sort of regional affiliation and are close enough to each other to be neighbors, so to me DE/VA, SC/TN, NH/CT, VT/RI, etc. are neighbors. It's really not much different than calling the person who lives two or three houses down the street your neighbor.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,998,808 times
The Southern states that the lower parts of Virginia resemble are more or less North Carolina and Tennessee. I would not compare any parts of Virginia to South Carolina and Georgia.

NOVA is a firm part of the Mid-Atlantic and almost completely connected to places north of it, yet it still carries a south-liteness about it in certain pockets.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 968,589 times
Quote:

Good point.
r

New York's neighbors are pretty much all of New England and the Mid Atlantic. From NYC, you can get to Maryland or Virginia faster than you can get to Buffalo, Rochester, or Plattsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or