U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,143 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

This is my first post to city-data so bear with me. I have this once in a lifetime opportunity to move to any city in the United States. I am currently working a good job from home and my fiance, a recent US immigrant, will be looking for mechanical engineering jobs.

I have been debating between cities to move to in the next year. Atlanta and Austin seem to be most appropriate because of it's value and proximity to manufacturing companies. I'd love to hear your take on which city is better or if you think there are other cities which could be better.

Important things:

We are looking for some international /diversity presence. My fiance is a brown muslim/atheist guy with a strong accent and I'm a multiracial woman with an afro so we are looking towards living in a place where we don't get too many stares

We also would like a place with fairly good public transportation, good walkability, good nightlife and a fairly low cost of living.

Engineering opportunity

Not so important things:

Weather. (I'm from Minnesota and can easily adapt)
City size/population density.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
Hi, welcome to the States and city-data. I think both cities are fine, but Atlanta is much larger, so keep that in mind. And I think it has a much stronger AA culture.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:04 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Atlanta, there is no comparison.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM

1,865 posts, read 997,841 times
I'd also add in Houston and Dallas if you're considering Texas and for the following reasons:

*Relatively low COL -- depending where you're moving from.
*Abundant job opportunities. Dallas is the logistics hub of the South Central region of the country and has one of the most diversified economies in the country. Houston is a bit more tied to oil & gas, but would definitely be a great place for a mechanical engineer.
*Diverse population -- Houston is one of the most diverse and international cities in the country, with Dallas not that far behind. Large AA population and with all different types of religious groups. Austin's AA population is miniscule to that of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.
*Good Nightlife -- you're far more likely to find a diverse bar and club (or ones that are predominately AA) in Houston/Dallas/Atlanta over Austin. Austin caters more to "whites" -- hipsters, techies, and college students. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think you will feel a little out of place there. Houston & Dallas offer a lot more for what you're looking for.

Cons of Houston, Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, {insert newer sunbelt city here}
*Generally un-walkable outside of their immediate Downtown areas. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have more walkable nodes throughout their city than Austin does, but again, none of them are like Chicago or NYC.
*Good public transit -- Again, not very adequate and you would have to make sure your house and job location is near a rail line or bus stop. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Austin in that order from best to worst. Dallas's DART is most extensive (mileage-wise), while Houston has a much better bus system. Atlanta's MARTA is better for inner city than Dallas's DART. They all have their strengths/weaknesses.

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-29-2017 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or