U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer
Providence 42 57.53%
Louisvllle 31 42.47%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:41 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How is this possible, a "mashup of the Northeast and Midwest" would not "resemble New Orleans".

Providence is certainly more Catholic than Louisville, at over 70% Catholic.
and in terms of Urban Core I would be surprised if the inner 20 sq miles of Louisville had more than 190k or so people.
I meant to say east, midwest, and south. It mostly looks Midwest and South.
The old city of Louisville had 260k at the last census, and 400k or so at its peak. Providence is more Catholic, but not substantially so. Alot of Louisville's identity is in what catholic school you went to, so much so that it really turned me off at first and I moved around alot before coming back here last year. How many Catholic High schools are in Providence and open today? Louisville has about 10 Catholic Highs in the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
To be honest, I don't know much at all about Providence or New England in general and have never been further North than New York, but I would pick Louisville. I prefer the Ohio River valley and Mid-South's culture, and from what I can tell, I don't think I would like New England, but who knows!

Louisville has a fantastic food scene, that many don't know about, but a lot of variety. Louisville has improved it's transportation infrastructure and navigating the city is relatively easy with improved interstates and two outer belts. In addition, there are three interstate highway bridges that cross into Indiana making car travel easy. I would venture that Providence has better bus and mass transit, as Louisville lacks in this area. Louisville airport is decent. I compare Louisville to Nashville in that it is on the cusp of major economic growth. I was at Waterfront Park last weekend and counted 10 cranes in the downtown area. It is exciting to see the growth and expansion of the city and I think it will only get better.
This...I think there are even more cranes when you count one near Audubon Park, one near UofL med campus, one on UofL undergard campus, one in Smoketoown (the only one I know of for a city works project, a water basin) a few in the suburbs, etc.

9 billion in construction in Louisville and 23 hotels under construction.

This sums it up well all the pluses (and a few challenges such as increased crime which is now about average for a large city)

https://louisvilleky.gov/news/mayor-...e-city-address

Louisville has one skyscraper going up that is substantially more alone than about all the mayor of Providence touts in his state of the city address:

http://www.gcpvd.org/2017/02/04/prov...-city-address/

I mean, how does the Providence mayor think its a big deal to invest 120 million over 5 years?? Louisville has multiple projects occuring right now over 100 million each, and several more in planing stages, some absolutely massive
Providence touts events that bring 150,000 people downtown for PVD Fest. That's great, but Louisville has ONE event that brings 750,000+ people downtown....and countless others that bring 100,000 plus downtown every single season.

The only way Louisville loses this poll is because of coastal bias and negative stereotypes of KY. If you have truly visited both cities in the last 3 years, this is a very close race.

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-29-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 10:01 PM

20,113 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Location - Providence, prefer the coastal location and its proximity to much larger cities
Food - Providence, because I really like seafood and southern european cooking, though Louisville has some highlights though I also feel that Louisville has a higher ratio of chain to non-chain restaurants
Neighborhoods - Tied/NA, can't say I've spent much time traveling around the different neighborhoods
Public Transit - Providence, good bus system with dedicated bus routes at times and a pretty straight shot via rail to other cities though no rail for either
Airports - Providence, for having international flights, though I believe Louisville does a lot of cargo transshipment
Downtowns - Tied?
Waterfronts - Providence
Economy - Providence has the larger metro GDP, though Louisville is growing faster
Future Growth - Current growth favors Louisville
Sports - NA for me
Affordability - Louisville probably, never had to actually live in either though I'm sure there are stats on this somewhere

Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Location - Providence, prefer the coastal location and its proximity to much larger cities
Food - Providence, because I really like seafood and southern european cooking, though Louisville has some highlights though I also feel that Louisville has a higher ratio of chain to non-chain restaurants
Neighborhoods - Tied/NA, can't say I've spent much time traveling around the different neighborhoods
Public Transit - Providence, good bus system with dedicated bus routes at times and a pretty straight shot via rail to other cities though no rail for either
Airports - Providence, for having international flights, though I believe Louisville does a lot of cargo transshipment
Downtowns - Tied?
Waterfronts - Providence
Economy - Providence has the larger metro GDP, though Louisville is growing faster
Future Growth - Current growth favors Louisville
Sports - NA for me
Affordability - Louisville probably, never had to actually live in either though I'm sure there are stats on this somewhere
Louisville is consistently ranked one of the top food cities in the USA. This empiric data lists it as 4th most restaurants per capita in the USA (Louisville and 9 other cities claim to have the most per capita, but this article says it is Dallas):

http://ezinearticles.com/?Which-City...pita&id=367316

Louisville is not a "fast food city." It is a very high cultured, high bar foodie city with one of the top culinary schools in the uSa

Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This...I think there are even more cranes when you count one near Audubon Park, one near UofL med campus, one on UofL undergard campus, one in Smoketoown (the only one I know of for a city works project, a water basin) a few in the suburbs, etc.

9 billion in construction in Louisville and 23 hotels under construction.

This sums it up well all the pluses (and a few challenges such as increased crime which is now about average for a large city)

https://louisvilleky.gov/news/mayor-...e-city-address

Louisville has one skyscraper going up that is substantially more alone than about all the mayor of Providence touts in his state of the city address:

Providence 2017 State of the City Address | Greater City Providence

I mean, how does the Providence mayor think its a big deal to invest 120 million over 5 years?? Louisville has multiple projects occuring right now over 100 million each, and several more in planing stages, some absolutely massive
Providence touts events that bring 150,000 people downtown for PVD Fest. That's great, but Louisville has ONE event that brings 750,000+ people downtown....and countless others that bring 100,000 plus downtown every single season.

The only way Louisville loses this poll is because of coastal bias and negative stereotypes of KY. If you have truly visited both cities in the last 3 years, this is a very close race.
You understand the mayor of Providence is talking about an 120 million additional public municipal spending in the city by the city over 5 years, right? That's not including private investment which is much higher than that.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is consistently ranked one of the top food cities in the USA. This empiric data lists it as 4th most restaurants per capita in the USA (Louisville and 9 other cities claim to have the most per capita, but this article says it is Dallas):

http://ezinearticles.com/?Which-City...pita&id=367316

Louisville is not a "fast food city." It is a very high cultured, high bar foodie city with one of the top culinary schools in the uSa
I know that, but that doesn't change that I like southern European food with a large seafood component. It also doesn't change what I felt was a larger presence of chains in Louisville than in Providence--that's not saying that Louisville didn't have plenty of non-chain restaurants only that I noticed that chain restaurants were more prevalent there than in Providence. On the other hand, the number of Dunkin Donuts in Providence seemed ridiculous but that goes for a lot of parts of New England.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:15 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,297,894 times
I'm noticing people are basing Louisville on the same scale as the entire state of Kentucky, and they're total opposites.

Peter1948 said it perfectly. The amount of current growth & construction in Louisville (especially downtown) is an amazing thing, beats Providence easily.

I'll give Providence the location advantage. Louisville being landlocked does suck.

Everything else though, super close battle

Food, I love Louisville's Southern inspired delicious "home cookin" food, and can't forget the bourbon

Future growth favors Louisville, no contest

Louisville airport has international flights, and is never super busy, that's a plus in my books

Louisville is VERY affordable, and a lot of people move here to retire because of this.

Sports is going to favor the hometown fans, each town will vote for their team, so really no progress there

One last thing, someone mentioned crime. If you look into the legitimate crime statistics of Louisville, nearly ALL the crime takes place in one major area, and that's the West End. Stay away from there, and you're good to go

Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 PM

I don't believe Louisville currently has any international flights, though I wouldn't be surprised if the airport started adding them as the city grows.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I know that, but that doesn't change that I like southern European food with a large seafood component. It also doesn't change what I felt was a larger presence of chains in Louisville than in Providence--that's not saying that Louisville didn't have plenty of non-chain restaurants only that I noticed that chain restaurants were more prevalent there than in Providence. On the other hand, the number of Dunkin Donuts in Providence seemed ridiculous but that goes for a lot of parts of New England.
I think your perception is a bit off. You are correct, Louisville does have lots of fast food....but it has WAY more independent eateries and prides itself on that. As I told you by citing factual anaylytical data, it has way more restaurants per capita than Providence which doesn't crack the top. This and as you noted, Louisivlle's "city" population was falsely inflated by merger.

I must admit, I have only spent one weekend in Providence. It sounds like you didn't spend much time in Louisville. I found Providence very charming, like a very small town Boston.

If Louisville could pick a sister in the northeast, Providence would be it. They are more alike than you think.

In 2010, the urban areas were close:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

I think most people would agree Louisville and certainly Nashville are much hotter than Providence and the trend won't stop any time soon.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I don't believe Louisville currently has any international flights, though I wouldn't be surprised if the airport started adding them as the city grows.
This is apples and oranges....Providence is in the NE megalopolis and very close to Europe. Even still, before Norwegian announced their plans, they had what, 2-3 international flights and they were very sporadic. Has that changed?

On an international level, SDF is vastly more important as the world air hub of UPS and truly international to the entire world as a top 10 international cargo hub. As a passenger hub, its your average midsized aiprort (although it did just finish a very classy renovation and added lots more retail and restaurants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or