U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer
Providence 42 57.53%
Louisvllle 31 42.47%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:59 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,341,107 times

Advertisements

Providence by Drone:

Providence Waterfire

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:17 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,153,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I don't think Louisville it totally "known" yet.
Outside of some lists I'd agree with this. Louisville is always going to be a hard sell no matter how great due to it being in Kentucky.

For a while I kept coming back to it due to milder winters and low cost of living, but in the end it just wasn't a fit.

In theory Providence has a built environment that's more charming with all that brick and social components too (art+intellectual+weird+hip, etc.), but it's drawbacks kept outweighing the positives when I tallied them up. And since it's New England it's resistant to change so what you see is pretty much what you get.

Although when you look at Louisville it's a hard sell if you compare it to cities that have some of the same sort of elements (especially if it becomes well known and COL climbs) like Kansas City and Columbus. But Louisville looks like it has room to keep improving so who knows what the future will bring.

Could go either way unless money/work isn't an issue then I'd go with Providence all day long.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 AM

355 posts, read 213,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Outside of some lists I'd agree with this. Louisville is always going to be a hard sell no matter how great due to it being in Kentucky.

For a while I kept coming back to it due to milder winters and low cost of living, but in the end it just wasn't a fit.

In theory Providence has a built environment that's more charming with all that brick and social components too (art+intellectual+weird+hip, etc.), but it's drawbacks kept outweighing the positives when I tallied them up. And since it's New England it's resistant to change so what you see is pretty much what you get.

Although when you look at Louisville it's a hard sell if you compare it to cities that have some of the same sort of elements (especially if it becomes well known and COL climbs) like Kansas City and Columbus. But Louisville looks like it has room to keep improving so who knows what the future will bring.

Could go either way unless money/work isn't an issue then I'd go with Providence all day long.
I am curious why Louisville would be a hard sell due to being in Kentucky?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,296,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I am curious why Louisville would be a hard sell due to being in Kentucky?
I agree with that as well. If you haven't noticed, Louisville is WAAAAY different than the overall state of KY. A lot of people think of the state of KY as "redneck no teeth, tobacco loving farmers", which is indeed accurate in certain areas. Unfortunately, they associate this as the whole state, without realizing that Louisville is quite the opposite and the vibe is nowhere near the same

Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,407,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
One thing I like about Providence is they kept most of their midrises and 3-8 story buildings. Louisville tore them down in "urban renewal" and that is why a lot of casual observers of Louisville aren't as impressed as they should be. Luckily, I can thing of at least 10 of these surface lots which were once historic rowhouses and midrises which are now getting nice new developments.
My understanding is that Providence was undergoing a significant amount of economic difficulty at the time that the urban-renewal craze was sweeping the country. That's why its downtown is so well preserved -- it simply didn't have the money to demolish it. This is, of course, a positive today.

Last edited by JMT; 07-03-2017 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Pittsburgh is not part of this thread.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 PM

355 posts, read 213,479 times
Lousiville should not take be considered less of city due to the State it is in, just like Providence shouldn't be considered less of a city due to the State of RI it is in. Too many stereotypes and double standards.

Last edited by JMT; 07-03-2017 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderator actions is against the TOS.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Louisville should not take be considered less of city due to the State it is in, just like Providence shouldn't be considered less of a city due to the State of RI it is in. Too many stereotypes and double standards.
It appears perception is greater than reality these days. I like Louisville as well, however the negative stereotype of the state has hurt its reputation, like some other cities. Kentucky as a whole is not a progressive state. The state has dragged its feet on helping Louisville reach its full potential.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:00 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It appears perception is greater than reality these days. I like Louisville as well, however the negative stereotype of the state has hurt its reputation, like some other cities. Kentucky as a whole is not a progressive state. The state has dragged its feet on helping Louisville reach its full potential.
Totally agree. Louisville itself is very progressive.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 PM

15,676 posts, read 3,108,907 times
Louisville.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 AM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,292,138 times
Providence because of location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or