U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:24 PM

3,469 posts, read 657,491 times

Advertisements

OP, if you have any asthma issues, avoid Salt Lake City!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:25 PM

5,468 posts, read 5,771,813 times
I am a gay male and left KC for Seattle. I actually miss living in KC quite a bit. If I were partnered like you I'd have never left. It's not a great "gay single" city.

There are a ton of ex-Texans in KC and I 100% guarantee you would not feel out of place. I met more than a few people from Texas there and you see Texas plates more than almost anywhere else outside of Kansas and Missouri, besides Illinois and California. It's an easy city to get around in traffic wise. The freeway system is actually quite phenomenal. Culturally it's Midwestern with just a touch of Southern and Western.

The Ozarks are fun for weekends. The city has an excellent food scene. I think you would like it.

Look into these neighborhoods: Brookside, Waldo, The Plaza, Westport, The Crossroads, and The River Market.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
The good news is Kansas Citians are generally a very friendly bunch of folks. The thing I most appreciate about having grown up there is how I was instilled with the signature neighborly demeanor of a Kansas Citian. It's not unlike the welcoming personalities that are associated with many smaller communities in Texas.

The not so great news is Kansas City has a relatively low transplant population (aside from those coming from small towns nearby), so it has some of the same unflattering social characteristics that are tied to many other places with few transplants. People will welcome you, but they may not be interested in actually knowing you. Most everyone has a family and close social network that they've been plugged into for decades, and frankly you'll be excluded from that.

I don't want to discourage you, I'm just being realistic. You'll get to know some people, but gaining significant friendships will potentially take quite a bit of time.
I would say overall that KC is more reserved than outwardly friendly, but it depends what part of the metro at times. I think with time KC will start trending more like St. Louis and Cincinnati metro areas in terms of social culture. Expect lower job growth, slower population growth, a more insular/cliquish social culture, and a relative brain drain overall.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM
sub

500 posts, read 260,892 times
I have little worry about KC trending like St. Louis.

I picked Kansas City for this comparison because it sorta has a cool factor.
Fayetteville is a much smaller outlier. Itself a college town and the rest of NWA is generic, sporadic, sprawl with little in the way of culture and architecture, not to mention really bad inconsistant Arkansas infrustructure.
There are a LOT of Texas plates around there, so it must be popular with them.
Salt Lake would be a consideration for its drier weather. Again, I've never been there, but it is the only one of the three that possibly would have an inviting climate for spending the most time outdoors.
Having spent much of my life near/in the other two, uh, weather is most definately not their strong suit.

Last edited by sub; 07-03-2017 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 02:30 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I have little worry about KC trending like St. Louis.

I picked Kansas City for this comparison because it sorta has a cool factor.
Fayetteville is a much smaller outlier. Itself a college town and the rest of NWA is generic, sporadic, sprawl with little in the way of culture and architecture, not to mention really bad inconsistant Arkansas infrustructure.
There are a LOT of Texas plates around there, so it must be popular with them.
Salt Lake would be a consideration for its drier weather. Again, I've never been there, but it is the only one of the three that possibly would have an inviting climate for spending the most time outdoors.
Having spent much of my life near/in the other two, uh, weather is most definately not their strong suit.
KC is certainly trending more like STL in terms of lower than average rates of job growth.. They both share similar traits of having more insular populations and a resistance to change when it comes to certain factors.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 PM

43 posts, read 25,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotpudding View Post
we'd also like to live somewhere that actually has 4 seasons.
I moved to Kansas City from SoCal 2 years ago and I really love it. There are definitely 4 distinct seasons here and even the colors of nature change. The summers are hot and muggy but there is some respite from the rain from time to time. The winters can have some extreme cold spurts with some ice/freezing rain but hardly any snow. The winters are comparatively mild to the rest of the midwest.

Quote:
We're also really tired of Austin traffic and want to live somewhere that actually has decent roads and not terrible traffic and commute times. Also, we'd ideally like to live somewhere that has a lower cost of living than Austin. We're both homebodies so nightlife is not a big deal for us, but we do like to go out to eat so having a variety of good restaurants is definitely a big plus.
I'm amazed at how easy the drive and commutes are here. For a metro of 2 million you won't even notice traffic, or at least if you're used to SoCal traffic you won't notice. I like the restaurant scene here but it is definitely a meat and potatoes town. I miss fresh seafood options and if you want ceviche - forget about it.

Quote:
I would also like to live somewhere that has nice coffee shops as well. A dog friendly city would be nice too since we will probably get a dog sometime in the future. Also, a good airport would be ideal so we can easily take trips back home to Austin and San Antonio.
Lots of good coffee shops, a rather impressive coffee scene here. I've only used the airport twice.
I've driven to TX twice and it's about 8 hrs to Dallas.

Quote:
Housing/rent wise- we don't have tons of money so I think we'll probably try to save up within the next few years but generally speaking, I think we'd be interested in finding a two bedroom house or apartment to rent for $1500 or less.
Cost of living here is so low, you'll find tons of impressive and unique options for that amount and can live in any urban KC neighborhood, even a new downtown high-rise for $1500.

I also really like SLC, a very clean and lively downtown. They have a beautiful setting and an impressive transit system. There seems to be a growing homeless population that seemed out of place. Kind of a mystery to me.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:54 PM

43 posts, read 25,729 times
Here's some up to date info on KC's growing economy.

This claims KCMO tech jobs have grown 157% over a year, ranking 5th in % growth.
http://time.com/money/4812479/top-20-cities-tech-jobs

Forbes - Kansas City is a top 5 metro for high-wage jobs.
http://www.startlandnews.com/2017/06...high-wage-jobs

PC World's 14 High Tech Cities to Call Home. KC #9.
http://www.pcmag.com/feature/323932/...to-call-home/9

Transportation, warehousing, there's a pretty diverse job market here.
There are also a ton of Govt jobs and non-profits, the federal Govt has about 20,000 jobs in KC.
Not sure if that helps.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM

185 posts, read 148,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
I moved to Kansas City from SoCal 2 years ago and I really love it. There are definitely 4 distinct seasons here and even the colors of nature change. The summers are hot and muggy but there is some respite from the rain from time to time. The winters can have some extreme cold spurts with some ice/freezing rain but hardly any snow. The winters are comparatively mild to the rest of the midwest.

I'm amazed at how easy the drive and commutes are here. For a metro of 2 million you won't even notice traffic, or at least if you're used to SoCal traffic you won't notice. I like the restaurant scene here but it is definitely a meat and potatoes town. I miss fresh seafood options and if you want ceviche - forget about it.

Lots of good coffee shops, a rather impressive coffee scene here. I've only used the airport twice.
I've driven to TX twice and it's about 8 hrs to Dallas.

Cost of living here is so low, you'll find tons of impressive and unique options for that amount and can live in any urban KC neighborhood, even a new downtown high-rise for $1500.

I also really like SLC, a very clean and lively downtown. They have a beautiful setting and an impressive transit system. There seems to be a growing homeless population that seemed out of place. Kind of a mystery to me.

may not be the exact taste from what you get at home, but I would recommend El Pueblito on Southwest BOULEVARD for a clean, crisp shrimp or fish ceviche...

Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
I miss fresh seafood options and if you want ceviche - forget about it.
You're doing it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or