U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:47 PM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,294,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
So can you provide a pic of healthy big phoenix palms in FL?
It is a known fact that Phoenix palm hate humidity.
Same could be said for the Royal Palms in Cali...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 01:45 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,015,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
So can you provide a pic of healthy big phoenix palms in FL?
It is a known fact that Phoenix palm hate humidity.
No, they don't hate humidity. They thrive as far North as Coastal Georgia, which was proven in LovinDecatur's post #15. That link clearly shows 3 healthy Phoenix palms, not 1 as you claimed.

Due to the humidity of this region many of these palms have massive ferns growing out of the top of their trunks, right below the fronds. That's something I have never seen in California.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 PM

20,901 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, they don't hate humidity. They thrive as far North as Coastal Georgia, which was proven in LovinDecatur's post #15. That link clearly shows 3 healthy Phoenix palms, not 1 as you claimed.

Due to the humidity of this region many of these palms have massive ferns growing out of the top of their trunks, right below the fronds. That's something I have never seen in California.
These palms have been thriving all over the Golden Isles of Georgia for 100 years. I see them daily down there; my cousin has several on her property on Sea Island.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 16 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,849,291 times
Instead of focusing on "winners" how about focus on personal preference? Because otherwise, if you're going to say that "Florida beats California in palms" then obviously Florida plus the REST of the coastal south, would demolish California. Only way to make it fair would be to take Florida out of the equation and compare California to the rest of the coastal South besides Florida.

I personally prefer Southeastern palms, though. Even without counting Florida, I love the look of the sabal palmetto which is abundant in the coastal Southeast. California has the more desert variety, which are cool but I prefer the sub-tropical and tropical ones. The California palms have a leg up for height but southeastern palms have more diversity.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 16 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,849,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Nobody gets everything. We should all appreciate what we have.
True. Also if "everywhere had everything" it takes the fun outta travelling. Florida's flatness makes me appreciate the mountains and hills of other states more. I will say I think North Carolina has it all for those who want geographic variety but more lushness than California.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 AM

9 posts, read 4,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

ive seen date palms thriving as far north as extreme southern NC.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,400,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto1861 View Post
Maybe in Oak Island (across the state line from Myrtle Beach SC), CIDP are a Zone 9a plant

Old 07-11-2017, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 4,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe in Oak Island (across the state line from Myrtle Beach SC), CIDP are a Zone 9a plant

yeah but they are marginal in zone 8b and are fairly common around the southern NC and myrtle beach cottages.

heres a big one in southport NC a little south of wilmington

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9601...2!8i6656?hl=en

some washingtonia robusta palms

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9873...2!8i6656?hl=en

some smaller more southern CIDP
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8944...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8958...2!8i6656?hl=en

even california fan palms! aka washingtonia filfera

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1894...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8936...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 07-12-2017, 02:14 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,609,502 times
I could post tons of dead or severely damaged palm trees from the coastal south after 2014 and 2015 which I took myself on visits there. The South is a failed subtropical climate imo. Winters are all over the place with 20F one day and 70F a few days later. Palms and other subtropical plants are severely stressed by that. And just look at the record low temps there. Savannah GA 3F lol.

Not a single palm other than sabal palmetto would survive those kinds of temps, and not a question of if they return but when. The climate of the South has always done this. It is why citrus miserably failed in the colonial period in Charleston and Savannah. True subtropical climates like Spain, Italy, S. Calif, Australia, etc blow the South out of the water in this regard. Barcelona has parrots flying around and mangoes, bird of paradise, banana, papaya plants everywhere, at the same latitude as NYC.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,609,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto1861 View Post

They are not long term hardy there, and will be taken out sooner rather than later. A cidp cannot take constant 8b winters as it takes two summers to grow back a full crown. Two bad winters in a row or even every other winter for a few years and they will slowly die and succumb. Not long for this world there and why you don't see any more than a few feet tall. One 80's decade and they are history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City