U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you live in permanently?
Northeastern 32 21.05%
Midwest 25 16.45%
West 51 33.55%
South 44 28.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM

1,191 posts, read 543,431 times

Advertisements

My personal preference is definitely the South as I prefer warmer weather and green landscapes, plus a predominance of newer infrastructure. But I enjoy visiting all the other regions and recognize they can be better suited for many people.

I agree with the posts that Maryland and Delaware are better aligned with the Northeast. Otherwise I think the regional boundaries are reasonable. It's difficult to define regional boundaries perfectly when there are significant transition zones that include parts of multiple states. I don't think Weirton, WV is more Southern than Cairo, IL, but splitting up states would result in a very complex map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:58 PM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,294,611 times
Definitly the South due to diversity, weather, and location

Old 07-01-2017, 09:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,088,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
My personal preference is definitely the South as I prefer warmer weather and green landscapes, plus a predominance of newer infrastructure. But I enjoy visiting all the other regions and recognize they can be better suited for many people.

I agree with the posts that Maryland and Delaware are better aligned with the Northeast. Otherwise I think the regional boundaries are reasonable. It's difficult to define regional boundaries perfectly when there are significant transition zones that include parts of multiple states. I don't think Weirton, WV is more Southern than Cairo, IL, but splitting up states would result in a very complex map.
I know people will hate me for saying it but I think that might be a much better way to do this.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:10 PM

1,760 posts, read 581,887 times
South. NE and MW have seen better days and a large portion of the west is just simply not affordable, not practical places to live. The south today reminds me of the MW and NE during their hay day in the 50s-60s, affordable, friendly people, fast growth, more optimism, more family oriented places to live.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
The west because you can get everything. No other section of the US has Plains, mountains, rain forests, tropics, desert, urban cities, etc. I mean, you can argue that the South does, but it's not in the same quantity imo.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:02 PM

5,789 posts, read 6,342,595 times
South or West. South has so many decent options and the fact that DC, Baltimore and even Wilmington are included helps mitigate the Northeast's power cities. Plus I am partial to FL.

OTOH it is hard to pick against a region that offers LA, SF, Seattle and Vegas. I could find pretty much anything I want among those, only drawback is the high cost.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 PM

403 posts, read 157,471 times
The listed land area for the northeast is basically all drivable distance except maybe for northern Maine. No other region can give you urban cities (including one of the worlds greatest in NYC) mountains, beaches, quaint towns, rugged coast, best schools in world, best hospitals in world, and amazing history all in drivable distances. The only reason to pick the south or west is for weather or if that's the vibe youre looking for which are subjective preferences and that's fine. The northeast should take this by most objective criteria.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:14 PM

**and my statement above is even more true if the northeast takes Washington DC (2.5 hours from NYC) which has way more in common with Boston than Houston.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:08 AM

Alaskansalmon couldn't agree more. You don't live somewhere permanently because of what you can do 15 hours away. This thread should have much smaller regions, northwest, southwest etc etc

Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM

5,789 posts, read 6,342,595 times
I'm not the OP so can't say what they were thinking, but for me I took it as a fun, perhaps silly, thought experiment...if I could only live "permanently" in one region, which would I choose. So I would plan to be able to move from city to city over the course of my lifetime and still travel out of the region for vacations, etc, but could only set up home base in a city in that region for the next (if I'm lucky) 6 decades or so. And yes I'm stuck trying to decide between the South and West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or