U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you live in permanently?
Northeastern 32 21.05%
Midwest 25 16.45%
West 51 33.55%
South 44 28.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 13 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,845,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGray View Post
The Midwest or South... If you can find a decent paying job you can live like a king. The west is mostly really flat, brown, and boring. The parts that arn't boring are quite crowded and expensive.
I prefer the Midwest myself but ummm the flattest states are in the South (Florida) and Midwest (Illinois, Kansas) The West is the opposite of flat. Umm, ever heard of the Rockies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The west because you can get everything. No other section of the US has Plains, mountains, rain forests, tropics, desert, urban cities, etc. I mean, you can argue that the South does, but it's not in the same quantity imo.
Only if you include Hawaii.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:33 PM

262 posts, read 198,078 times
All those attributes such as transportation , affordability , scenery , ect . are important but I haven't seen anyone mention family and friends which in my opinion would be at the top of the priorities . I have a physician friend who has a practice in D.C. and we were discussing the millennial's . In his experience with millennial's he found a very high amount of hypochondria and mild depression .Our thoughts and collective conclusion were that most of those patient's were from other areas of the country were separated from their family and friends thus have a feeling of alienation . There are negative psychological consequence's when people are separated from family and friends .

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 07-30-2017 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 PM

Midwest. Move up there this week, have no desire to move out. Its a lot more diverse in its topography than people give it credit for. You want beaches? Head to Michigan in the summer. You want mountains? The Ozarks in Missouri. Cities? Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Saint Paul.. etc. etc. Country side? Oohh you betcha. Forests? Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan got you covered.

There's some negatives like, areas with high concentration of crime (East St. Louis, looking at you) cities that have been devastated by deindustrialisation but honestly, no region is without similar or unique issues. Midwest has stuff I like with prices I like. Northeast is nice too but too expensive and crowded. Also not as friendly. The South to me is a better place to be from than to live in. West, aside from vacations, does not interest me. I love the ocean but can do without it. Lakes are nice and underrated.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
All those attributes such as transportation , affordability , scenery , ect . are important but I haven't seen anyone mention family and friends which in my opinion would be at the top of the priorities . I have a physician friend who has a practice in D.C. and we were discussing the millennial's . In his experience with millennial's he found a very high amount of hypochondria and mild depression .Our thoughts and collective conclusion were that most of those patient's were from other areas of the country were separated from their family and friends thus have a feeling of alienation . There are negative psychological consequence's when people are separated from family and friends .
I love my family but I could never move back to my hometown, ever.. ever ever ever ever. If I was forced to, I wouldn't even be able to afford to live on my own because of how expensive it is, and I would be a lot more miserable than if I lived elsewhere, cuz I hated living there. I visit my family once or twice a year, and that's good enough for me. And they can always visit me. Same thing with friends, I plan to drive down to Texas plenty of times, and you can always make new friends wherever you live.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 PM

2,657 posts, read 3,198,670 times
I love visiting every part of the country, especially the West, but I'm always happy to come home to the South. I've been to every state except Hawaii, and no place I've been could lure me away from the Shire that is North Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or