Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place seems to match my criteria most?
Boston 2 9.09%
Philadelphia 7 31.82%
Washington DC 1 4.55%
Asheville 2 9.09%
Seattle 9 40.91%
Portland 5 22.73%
California (please specify city) 4 18.18%
Other 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,315 times

Advertisements

I have a remote job that allows me to work from almost wherever I want, and I am ready to make a change. I'd like some input from locals or folks who know these places or who might have other recommendations for me. So far I've lived in Cleveland, Columbus OH, Louisville KY, Charlotte NC, Columbia SC, Wilmington NC, Atlanta, Japan, and South Korea.

My criteria: I know this sounds really picky, but I'm outlining an ideal place here--which I understand does not exist! So please don't hate on me for that. If I can find a comfortable place with several of these, I can certainly be happy.
-I have Celiac and also love healthy food and eating out. I was not impressed by Charlotte or Louisville in this sense. I know I can cook my own gluten-free food, but I like to go out and also work from cafes sometimes, so I'd love a city with a lot of gluten-free menu options.
-International community: I am bicultural/bilingual Japanese, so I'd love to find a place with a reasonably-sized Japanese community. Other international communities would be great as well. I like diversity
-Safety. Probably goes without saying, but I would like a safe place. Not into "urban homesteading."
-Fairly low rent prices. I will be renting a house or apartment. I'm not bottom-of-the-barrel budget-wise, but am not looking to spend a ton.
-Fairly close to mountains and/or hiking areas. I love the outdoors and like to be able to escape to the mountains if possible. Doesn't have to be right in the mountains, though. I'm also into yoga and running.
-I don't need to live right in a city center; I can live on the outskirts or suburbs.
-Culture, such as orchestras, opera, art museums, historical places... I know, very vague. I just like interesting things that don't revolve around breweries (see: Charlotte)
-Decent-sized liberal population. Not against conservatives, but I'm liberal myself and would like to find a community of like-minded folks. It doesn't have to be a hippie haven, just Democrat- and LGBT-friendly.

Cities I'm eyeing:
-Philadelphia
-Boston
-Portland
-Washington D.C.
-Asheville NC
-California (open to suggestions as far as cities--I like SF but rent prices.. ouch)
-Seattle

Please don't bash me too hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:37 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times
Asheville or far East Bay NoCal would be my choices for you from the options.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
Old City Philly. Hits all the points except I don't know what "fairly low rent" means exactly.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Asheville or far East Bay NoCal would be my choices for you from the options.
Thank you! I'll do some research on East Bay NoCal. Thinking of flying to the west coast soon to visit and see how I like it.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Old City Philly. Hits all the points except I don't know what "fairly low rent" means exactly.
Thanks! Time to research
Fairly low rent = less than $1000 per month for a place for myself. Doesn't need to be fancy. Just room for me and a pet and space to work out. Possibly a partner in the future if things go well, haha.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
If you don't mind a small city/area, Ithaca NY would work politically, culturally, in terms of food and outdoor options. If you look further away from the city, the rents will be lower.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you don't mind a small city/area, Ithaca NY would work politically, culturally, in terms of food and outdoor options. If you look further away from the city, the rents will be lower.
Just curious but what's the deal with Ithaca NY? I see it mentioned all the time on here but from the outside it just seems like a tiny rural semi hick town.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM

538 posts, read 658,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Just curious but what's the deal with Ithaca NY? I see it mentioned all the time on here but from the outside it just seems like a tiny rural semi hick town.
It has 2 elite colleges, one of which is arguably top 10 in the world, incredible scenery, a cute artsy and walk-able downtown, and ample recreation opportunities nearby. I spent a month there for work in 2015 and the hype is deserved IMO.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellex View Post
Thanks! Time to research
Fairly low rent = less than $1000 per month for a place for myself. Doesn't need to be fancy. Just room for me and a pet and space to work out. Possibly a partner in the future if things go well, haha.
Queen Village, Bella Vista, Northern part of pennsport are my first suggestions then. Old City is too expensive, but I am sure you would enjoy the proximity to chinatown. Philly's chinatown is heavily panasian in culture. However the neighborhoods south of there have more of what you are looking for and just putting in some parameters on trulia or zillow brings up a good amount of apartments at that range. I would focus on places that were north of washington ave. so you could walk to the ever expanding amount of gluten free restaurants

Old 06-13-2017, 04:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellex View Post
I have a remote job that allows me to work from almost wherever I want, and I am ready to make a change. I'd like some input from locals or folks who know these places or who might have other recommendations for me. So far I've lived in Cleveland, Columbus OH, Louisville KY, Charlotte NC, Columbia SC, Wilmington NC, Atlanta, Japan, and South Korea.

My criteria: I know this sounds really picky, but I'm outlining an ideal place here--which I understand does not exist! So please don't hate on me for that. If I can find a comfortable place with several of these, I can certainly be happy.
-I have Celiac and also love healthy food and eating out. I was not impressed by Charlotte or Louisville in this sense. I know I can cook my own gluten-free food, but I like to go out and also work from cafes sometimes, so I'd love a city with a lot of gluten-free menu options.
-International community: I am bicultural/bilingual Japanese, so I'd love to find a place with a reasonably-sized Japanese community. Other international communities would be great as well. I like diversity
-Safety. Probably goes without saying, but I would like a safe place. Not into "urban homesteading."
-Fairly low rent prices. I will be renting a house or apartment. I'm not bottom-of-the-barrel budget-wise, but am not looking to spend a ton.
-Fairly close to mountains and/or hiking areas. I love the outdoors and like to be able to escape to the mountains if possible. Doesn't have to be right in the mountains, though. I'm also into yoga and running.
-I don't need to live right in a city center; I can live on the outskirts or suburbs.
-Culture, such as orchestras, opera, art museums, historical places... I know, very vague. I just like interesting things that don't revolve around breweries (see: Charlotte)
-Decent-sized liberal population. Not against conservatives, but I'm liberal myself and would like to find a community of like-minded folks. It doesn't have to be a hippie haven, just Democrat- and LGBT-friendly.

Cities I'm eyeing:
-Philadelphia
-Boston
-Portland
-Washington D.C.
-Asheville NC
-California (open to suggestions as far as cities--I like SF but rent prices.. ouch)
-Seattle

Please don't bash me too hard!
Yikes.. Talk about an open question and other than working remotely give ZERO Work products you do?

Maybe you can provide pertinent information and just maybe point you in the right direction of avenues to take advantage of area's lacking or seeking folks to fill whatever talents you possess ?? It' comes across you don't want to comment nor appreciate whatever benefits where you live now??

Guess, I just have more questions than answers right now IF you have an underlying pre-existing condition and Health Insurance cost could become an issue.. Just maybe figure out which States have Medicaid and supportive fundings. The way things are being painted by the Governing Feds.. I wouldn't necessarily count on getting help for such support.

Hey, why not head to Mass. They basically have Medicare for all.. or Single Payer?? Me thinks you need some guarantees.. even unknowing just what it is you do???

ETA~~ I happen to understand just what Celiac Disease entails.. So certainly understand why you want to maintain "Remote" working environment!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City