U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Louisville 13 10.57%
Richmond 25 20.33%
New Orleans 13 10.57%
Hartford 5 4.07%
Salt Lake 30 24.39%
Birmingham 7 5.69%
Buffalo 11 8.94%
Rochester 5 4.07%
Grand Rapids 6 4.88%
Tucson 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 AM
 
998 posts, read 804,904 times
Reputation: 1060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
As far as big companies go, the number of big companies speak to the size of an economy perhaps, but do they necessarily add credence to the health of it?
Yes they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2017, 07:47 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,558 posts, read 17,956,388 times
Reputation: 10709
I was thinking that SLC doesn't really belong on this list for the same reason that the OP gave for excluding Raleigh, other than the reality that Raleigh's MSA exceeds 1.3M. SLC anchors the "Wasatch Front" CSA with over 2.5 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 09:23 AM
 
52,827 posts, read 75,853,032 times
Reputation: 11645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I was thinking that SLC doesn't really belong on this list for the same reason that the OP gave for excluding Raleigh, other than the reality that Raleigh's MSA exceeds 1.3M. SLC anchors the "Wasatch Front" CSA with over 2.5 million people.
There may be others excluded if we regionalize the areas. For instance, Buffalo and Rochester are viewed as being in the Western NY region in some cases: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM
 
27,862 posts, read 24,930,002 times
Reputation: 16558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There may be others excluded if we regionalize the areas. For instance, Buffalo and Rochester are viewed as being in the Western NY region in some cases: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York
But the difference is that there are oddities of geography that make the Raleigh and SLC MSAs smaller than they could be said to actually be. In their cases, it could be argued that the CSAs are more reflective of their actual sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Westside Grand Rapids
3,573 posts, read 3,060,732 times
Reputation: 5502
Ranked by CSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 11:06 AM
 
8,671 posts, read 8,828,199 times
Reputation: 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But the difference is that there are oddities of geography that make the Raleigh and SLC MSAs smaller than they could be said to actually be. In their cases, it could be argued that the CSAs are more reflective of their actual sizes.
Same with Buffalo, Fort Erie is a town of 31,000 that borders the City of Buffalo and is not counted in its CSA or MSA because its in Canada, but is in reality economically tied to Buffalo. Same with Niagara Falls, ON, St Catherine's etc. Most of the Niagara Region would be in the Buffalo CSA if it were in America. Buffalo's real size is between 1.5-1.6 million, not 1.1-1.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 11:28 AM
 
27,862 posts, read 24,930,002 times
Reputation: 16558
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Same with Buffalo, Fort Erie is a town of 31,000 that borders the City of Buffalo and is not counted in its CSA or MSA because its in Canada, but is in reality economically tied to Buffalo. Same with Niagara Falls, ON, St Catherine's etc. Most of the Niagara Region would be in the Buffalo CSA if it were in America. Buffalo's real size is between 1.5-1.6 million, not 1.1-1.2.
Point taken, but that's still in the same general ballpark as metros around 1.3 million. When you're talking about CSAs that are over or nearly twice the size of their MSAs and well over 2 million in population like Raleigh and SLC, that's a much more significant difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 PM
 
52,827 posts, read 75,853,032 times
Reputation: 11645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Point taken, but that's still in the same general ballpark as metros around 1.3 million. When you're talking about CSAs that are over or nearly twice the size of their MSAs and well over 2 million in population like Raleigh and SLC, that's a much more significant difference.
What is interesting about the Buffalo area is that it is only a 2 county metro, with 3 other adjacent areas being just micropolitan areas.

As mentioned before, it does touch the Rochester metro/CSA(Genesee County is actually in Rochester's CSA). So, unless it can add Chautauqua County(Cattaraugus County is in the Buffalo CSA), that is pretty much it for the Buffalo area.

Western NY is similar to say the Triangle or the Triad, but it isn't viewed as a CSA. It is only viewed in terms of a region(with about 2.3-2.7 million people).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-11-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM
 
8,671 posts, read 8,828,199 times
Reputation: 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is interesting about the Buffalo area is that it is only a 2 county metro, with 3 other adjacent areas being just micro pilot an areas.

As mentioned before, it does touch the Rochester metro/CSA(Genesee County is actually in Rochester's CSA). So, unless it can add Chautauqua County(Cattaraugus County is in the Buffalo CSA), that is pretty much it for the Buffalo area.

Western NY is similar to say the Triangle or the Triad, but it isn't viewed as a CSA. It is only viewed in terms of a region(with about 2.5-2.7 million people).
I would hesitate to throw Buffalo and Rochester in the same boat. I think you can say Roc has a metro of about 1.1 million and Buffalo is around 1.4 in reality but I would not put them in the same category of the Triangle, because other than Darien Lake and the Sabres/Bills they really don't share much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM
 
52,827 posts, read 75,853,032 times
Reputation: 11645
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would hesitate to throw Buffalo and Rochester in the same boat. I think you can say Roc has a metro of about 1.1 million and Buffalo is around 1.4 in reality but I would not put them in the same category of the Triangle, because other than Darien Lake and the Sabres/Bills they really don't share much.
Yes and no.....They share some things like regionals in HS sports are viewed as the Western NY regionals(between champs of Sections 5 and 6) or Batavia Notre Dame HS, which is in Genesee County(in Rochester's CSA and plays Rochester area/Section 5 schools) is a part of the Diocese of Buffalo. Some Orleans County(Rochester metro) schools(Medina, Albion, etc.) actually play Buffalo area(Section 6) schools. You may have some media coverage crossover as well. Rochester's AHL team has long been the farm team of the Sabres. So, those are some examples of some metro/CSA crossover between the 2 areas.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/amp/wivb.com/...-football/amp/ (WIVB is Buffalo's CBS affiliate)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-11-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top