Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better to live in?
Connecticut 16 29.63%
Maine 38 70.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well today I deeply searched the entire state of Maine for jobs that would be suitable for me and that I'm qualified for and found absolutely nothing. Connecticut was like scraping the bucket for jobs, but at least I found a couple here and there. Even New Hampshire and Vermont had some jobs for me to apply to, but not Maine. Bummer
Dude, it sounds like you're looking for jobs in all the wrong places.

Outside of Greater Boston, you're not going to find much work in accounting and finance elsewhere in the New England region. Simply stated, most of the region, especially in the rural more northerly states, is just not a hot-bed for jobs and economic output.

Additionally, there are probably quite a few local candidates in both New Hampshire and Vermont who, like you, are well-educated and qualified and have been out of work for a while. Accordingly, these candidates are all vying for the small handful of open positions in-state and are more than likely given preferential treatment by employers because they're already living in the local area.

And since New Hampshire and Vermont in particular tend to be popular relocation spots, you're likely competing for jobs with folks from Massachusetts, New York, etc. who also want to move up there.

Honestly, you'd probably have better luck searching for a new career in Maryland or New Jersey. At this point, that's where I would concentrate my search, if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:07 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Well today I deeply searched the entire state of Maine for jobs that would be suitable for me and that I'm qualified for and found absolutely nothing.
Maine is a place where you might have to make your own job, my great uncles were fishermen and I used to help one of them with wrinkling and tub trawling. A lot of people dig clams and things like that. But then my section of the state is downeast which differs greatly from the Portland area or the touristy areas.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
And if you find a job in NH or Maine, but lose this one, too, replacing it will be brutal in these de-populated , no or low growth, states.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
And if you find a job in NH or Maine, but lose this one, too, replacing it will be brutal in these de-populated , no or low growth, states.
That is true. But if I got a good job offer in NH or ME, should I decline it because of that?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
That is true. But if I got a good job offer in NH or ME, should I decline it because of that?
No, but immediately reconcile yourself to move again the minute it ends. A good friend worked near Saco, Me and when job ended she ended up commuting 3 hours, 20 minutes a day to new job near Boston.

PS: Winters are brutal there.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No, but immediately reconcile yourself to move again the minute it ends. A good friend worked near Saco, Me and when job ended she ended up commuting 3 hours, 20 minutes a day to new job near Boston.

PS: Winters are brutal there.
Well, I haven't applied to anything in ME because there's practically nothing there for me. But there were a few in NH.

My brother relocated to tiny Sheboygan, WI three years ago for a job and fortunately he's still there. But if he got laid off, he'd be screwed.

As for winters, I don't care. I'm sure it's not that much worse than CT in southern NH. No biggie.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Well, I haven't applied to anything in ME because there's practically nothing there for me. But there were a few in NH.

My brother relocated to tiny Sheboygan, WI three years ago for a job and fortunately he's still there. But if he got laid off, he'd be screwed.

As for winters, I don't care. I'm sure it's not that much worse than CT in southern NH. No biggie.
We just vacationed in Southern Maine. The professional types we met either worked from home, or commuted to various parts of New Hampshire. And winter up there is on a totally different level than CT.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Well, I also applied to numerous jobs in Massachusetts...there are TONS there.

Of course I can handle bookkeeping. It's easy. But it would only hold me over for so long. My parents will probably retire in 6-8 years. Then what?? Who will continue to pay me? I don't have much confidence that their business will be a going concern after they retire. And what employer would want to hire me by then? We all know that working for parents is not "real" work. At least not the work that they would be giving me. It's stupid stuff like recording rent payments, paying bills, reading through mail, etc. Not a real career builder.
It's your only thing that's a firm offer at this point.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:45 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,299 times
How can you even compare this? They are two totally different states..

CT is very suburban and part of both NYC and Boston metro areas.

CT is INSANELY expensive in comparison.

CT is pretentious with high end vehicles, ME is pick up trucks.

CT is way more liberal.

There is literally no comparison...

Old 12-18-2017, 05:32 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
Quote:
Which state is an overall better place to live? The reason I am asking is because I am currently unemployed in CT and looking for a job, but am also in a position in which I am able to move at anytime I want. I don't know anyone in Maine except for several Facebook friends.

Talk about things like:

Lifestyle
People
Climate/Weather
Traffic
Housing Selection
Politics
Atmosphere/Vibe
Things to Do
Scenery
Cost of Living

Do NOT talk about job opportunities, employment, etc. Assume that I have secured employment already, so it's a non-issue.
Lifestyle: Maine.
People: Maine.
Climate/Weather: Tie. Both are horrible.
Traffic: Maine.
Housing: Connecticut.
Politics: Maine.
Atmosphere: Maine.
Things to Do: Maine.
Scenery: Maine.
COL: Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City