U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 AM

632 posts, read 846,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I didn't realize that crime was so rampant in Philly. The map is really telling. I wonder if the city has any plans to reduce the crime.
Check this map for 2017, you could clearly see that the more east you go, the more homicides there are but on the west side, it is really really safe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...cal/homicides/

And this is from 2000-2011, you could see that during that 11 years span, the west side saw virtually 0 murder
Interactive map: Homicides in the District of Columbia - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 1,936,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Hey people, right now I am in Canada (yeah I know it is cold, and so far we have no summer...)
I plan on moving to the states withing 1-2 years... I can live pretty much everywhere I want since I am a trader (so trading from my home) and also have rented real estate so I can move pretty much anywhere.
I have a few cities in mind but first my criteria:
  • Safety - n.y.c.
  • Weather - l.a.
  • School (I have a kid and a wife) - boston
  • Walkable - boston
  • Friendly people - l.a.
  • Fun - n.y.c.
  • Things to do - n.y.c.
  • Kids activities - boston

Now the cities
  • Boston (been there for 10 months)
  • Washington DC (NW-SW)
  • NYC (expensive but hella safe and good schools (at least private and colleges)
  • Los Angeles (The weather)

To a lesser extend
  • San Diego
  • Portland, OR
Ps I am a black male in my mid 30s with a wife and kid

Your thoughts?
- ^my votes above.
are you west-indian ? in boston anywhere within the t would be enjoyable. but i've had african-american friends tell me they hated visiting boston.
(i think d.c. is more expensive than n.y.c. ?.; bostons def known for having better schools/colleges)

Old 07-30-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
- ^my votes above.
are you west-indian ? in boston anywhere within the t would be enjoyable. but i've had african-american friends tell me they hated visiting boston.
(i think d.c. is more expensive than n.y.c. ?.; bostons def known for having better schools/colleges)
I am not but my wife is haitian. We spent 10 months in Brockton 5 years ago.
One of the only reason i put Boston in that list is for the schools (Umass, MIT, Harvard and overall great school system in MA.)
But I will not go back to Brockton, but Boston (exept Mattapan, Roxburry and Dorchester) why not, so I could have my kids going to great school without leaving us too soon so we could house them for free to help them save money.
But after digging, my list have shortened, gone is Miami and the south, California (from my infos, Cali is best suited for people from Europe.)
So L.A, S.F, Boston, NYC or DC (we are not interested in the rest of the country... Well, maybe Portland Or).
I have visited Boston a lot when I was in Brockton, went to NYC and DC, need now to check California).
Ps; My main issue with Boston is the houses... Apart of downtown Boston which is lovely and beautiful, the houses are ugly to a whole new level...
  1. University => No match in north america, only London and Tokyo can rival
  2. Schools => Great
  3. Public transit => very good
  4. Safety => Never felt unsafe in Boston
  5. Weather => Well, When I was there, the winter was not so bad, only snow for 3 days and the lowest temperature we had was 15.8F (-9C), so I did not even bought a winter jacket... Compared with Montreal 15.8F from December to March (and january and april are -13F(-25C) and 32F(0C) in November and April. Add to that the windchill which brings the felt temperature 50F lower than the real temperature.
  6. houses => Ugly as hell, condos are nice but the houses... somebody needs to slap the architects, better yet, put them in a cage with Jon Jones.
  7. Tight gun control=> I love it, Ma. is the state with the lowest gun ownership (12%)...
  8. The houses => My gosh I can not stress it enough

Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 AM

i would think that montreal and boston (and miami) have larger haitian-american populations than african-american populations (though the total black populations in these cities are kinda' small) so things like haitian markets/restaurants/radio stations/... will be more accessable.

there are several caribbean festivals/parades/concerts/... throughout the summer so your kids would have the culture.

i would just choose boston due to familiarity and schools but l.a, s.f, boston, n.y.c. or d.c. are probably the best choices in the country.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-30-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i would think that montreal and boston (and miami) have larger haitian-american populations than african-american populations (though the total black populations in these cities are kinda' small) so things like haitian markets/restaurants/radio stations/... will be more accessable.

there are several caribbean festivals/parades/concerts/... throughout the summer so your kids would have the culture.

i would just choose boston due to familiarity and schools but l.a, s.f, boston, n.y.c. or d.c. are probably the best choices in the country.

What attract me to California is the weather, I hate the winter and Montreal winter is no joke, I do not know if anyone of you experienced it but imagine taping your window with plastic film to block the cold and not opening them for 5 months... 60cm of snow on the sidewalk making it exhausting to walk just 100 yards. 1 inch of thick ice on the sidewalk, so few sun (winter blues)... Everytime winter is less than 2 months away I am pissed as hell

Boston and Miami black population is huge, 24.7% in Boston (about 3-6% of whom are haitian) and in 2010, 19.2% in Miami.

Montreal on the other hand is like 9% black (which is huge in Canadian standard) and almost 8 out of 10 of them are from Haiti... but I do not like Montreal... Nice to visit, to study but not to live in my opinion

Old 07-30-2017, 05:58 PM

1,709 posts, read 690,375 times
If you can afford it, as in really afford it and not just get by, then I'd say one of the nicer parts of NYC or LA should give you anything you want.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
If you can afford it, as in really afford it and not just get by, then I'd say one of the nicer parts of NYC or LA should give you anything you want.
those two are my main desire. I can afford up to $4000 for rent, I do not want to go any higher because I want to invest in a multi family home, ideally, 2500 to 3000 for rent will be great so I would have more to invest, so in NYC it would be queens (long island city) or in L.A not hard to find a rent for that amount on the west side

Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 AM

you can probably afford to live anywhere; just move to l.a. and enjoy the beach.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM

933 posts, read 2,230,556 times
r u definitely trying to live in the city or is the entire metro an option? Just wondering if you were open to Maryland and VA(the entire dmv) and also Jersey and Connecticut.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
r u definitely trying to live in the city or is the entire metro an option? Just wondering if you were open to Maryland and VA(the entire dmv) and also Jersey and Connecticut.
City, I am a city guy, me and my wife just love the city, all the activities, the festivities, the actions... We are not the suburb type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or