U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More classically urban, walkable downtown?
Nashville 54 46.96%
Kansas City 61 53.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I never said more amenities. I said better amenities. Nashville has better hotels, music venues, and is adding more retail, restaurants, and grocery stores downtown. I love both cities, but Kansas City appeared to be more laid back, not as snooty as Nashville (that is a good thing). It would be interesting to see the amount of tourist dollars spent in each city, number of hotel rooms, and attractions etc. Something like Country Club Plaza district is sorely needed in or near downtown Nashville.
Okay. I was thinking metro area amenities. The entire package, not just downtowns.

To keep this thread on track . Yea, I would agree that Downtown Nashville has better hotels now. Although it sort of depends on what you call downtown KC. Most would consider Crown Center part of Downtown KC and if that's the case, Nashville is not too far ahead but still ahead.

However, It looks like Downtown KC is about to add several high profile hotels downtown, so the downtowns will probably be pretty comparable in a few year unless Nashville keeps building large hotels.

Downtown KC has one of the nicest full service urban grocers anywhere. You can't ignore how much the streetcar makes downtown KC more livable too. The performing arts center, sprint center, midland theater, municipal auditorium, city market. A very nice convention center. I mean Downtown KC is not a touristy part of the city, but you would be surprised how many amenities it does have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:16 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,577,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Downtown KC has one of the nicest full service urban grocers anywhere. You can't ignore how much the streetcar makes downtown KC more livable too. The performing arts center, sprint center, midland theater, municipal auditorium, city market. A very nice convention center. I mean Downtown KC is not a touristy part of the city, but you would be surprised how many amenities it does have.
Isn't it Cosentinos? I think?

The street car is nice. Many cities are adding hotel rooms over the next 24 months. The convention business is getting very competitive with many newcomers being able to compete for the larger conventions. Nashville and KC included.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Isn't it Cosentinos? I think?

The street car is nice. Many cities are adding hotel rooms over the next 24 months. The convention business is getting very competitive with many newcomers being able to compete for the larger conventions. Nashville and KC included.
yep, Cosentinos.

While downtown KC is adding a Lowes Convention hotel and several others, KC will still have one of the smallest amounts of downtown hotel rooms compared to almost any mid to large sized city. I think one problem is KC has a lot of hotel rooms in the Plaza area which are not walkable to downtown. So KC might have the most opportunity to build more hotels over the next several years simply because downtown is so under built compared to its peers. But with so few corporations based in downtown KC, I don't see KC closing the gap much. The vast majority of metro KC's 35,000 hotel rooms are in the burbs.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM

43 posts, read 25,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
Nashville is a superior city IMO for urban neighborhoods and amenities, but KC's core is definitely more urban and walkable.
I'm somewhat confused by your statement, but that's OK.
I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something.

KC has the River Market, Power & Light District, Garment District, Union Hill, Crossroads Art District, Union Station, Liberty Memorial and Crown Center all immediately downtown and connected by the new streetcar.

I know about "The District," the new amphitheater on the river and the Capital building in downtown Nashville.
Are there any other significant attractions, neighborhoods or districts immediately inside of downtown Nashville?

Last edited by eugeniomerill; 07-12-2017 at 09:30 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 10:53 PM

161 posts, read 70,017 times
Quote:
Nashville is trendier, faster paced, and has better amenities, but to say it has superior urban neighborhoods is false. Kansas City's urban neighborhoods are seamless and offer better amenities as of this point. I love how well defined each neighborhood is, the sidewalks, and how clean they are kept. Some of Nashville's urban neighborhoods are filthy, lack retail, restaurants, sidewalks, and are not pedestrian friendly. It also doesn't help that they are sliced up by interstates and highways. Kansas City is more urban.
I concede. I should have said better amenities and more of a tourist destination and left it at that.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Quote:
I concede. I should have said better amenities and more of a tourist destination and left it at that.
That we can both agree with.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That we can both agree with.
Nashville having more tourists makes sense. But why you would think it has better amenities? Nashville's downtown population is around 10,000 while Kansas City's downtown population is approaching 30,000.

Nashville has more and maybe better hotel rooms? OK, but what does that do for someone living there?
Off the top of my head I can think of a few KC amenities that Nashville doesn't have;

Free Streetcar
City Market - one of the oldest and largest farmer's markets
Cosentino's - full service upscale grocer/market
Crossroads Art District - 70+ art galleries
Sea Life Aquarium
Crown Center

I'm curious, what amenities does immediate downtown Nashville have that downtown KC doesn't?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:48 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,577,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
Nashville having more tourists makes sense. But why you would think it has better amenities? Nashville's downtown population is around 10,000 while Kansas City's downtown population is approaching 30,000.

Nashville has more and maybe better hotel rooms? OK, but what does that do for someone living there?
Off the top of my head I can think of a few KC amenities that Nashville doesn't have;

Free Streetcar
Sea Life Aquarium
Crown Center

I'm curious, what amenities does immediate downtown Nashville have that downtown KC doesn't?
I've noticed many people would look at 5 blocks of Broadway in DT Nashville and would think that is exciting. Not looking into how cities function in terms of livability of its neighborhoods. Nashville doesn't yet offer the urban lifestyle options of KC. (Check back in 5 yrs)

Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 AM

Some of downtown KC's neighborhoods

Crossroads Art District (brick warehouses in the foreground)
http://kccrossroads.org/wp-content/u...bb-900x425.jpg

Quality Hill
http://www.skylinescenes.com/image?f...h=800&height=0

River Market
http://c7.alamy.com/comp/CTMKY4/hist...ver-CTMKY4.jpg

Garment District
https://flic.kr/p/8NUGZW

Union Hill
http://www.skylinescenes.com/image?f...h=800&height=0

Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
Quote:

Free Streetcar
Commuter Rail to Lebanon with several stops in between since 2006.

Middle Tennessee RTA Home Page - quick links, featured news, news releases, contact information

A multimodal light rail and mass transit system in the planning stages.

The Plan

Quote:
Nashville downtown farmer's market

Nashville Farmers' Market

Quote:
Whole Foods coming soon

Whole Foods headed to new downtown Nashville tower

Caviar and Bananas now open in midtown

Caviar & Bananas

Kroger now open in midtown

Publix in the planning stages 3 miles south of downtown

Publix grocery store planned for Nashville's Melrose area

The Turnip Truck

The Turnip Truck Stores

Sprouts coming soon to East Nashville

Sprouts Farmers Market targets East Nashville for next location

https://www.musicianshalloffame.com/

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nash...way-bars-rated

Sea Life Aquarium
Crown Center

Fifth and Broadway

https://www.fifthandb.com/

Nashville Yards

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/aeg...s-development/

River North

River North Nashville

One City Nashville

ONEC1TY | Home

A larger tourism and convention center

Front | nashvillemusiccitycenter.com

W Hotel in the planning stages

W hotel eyed for Gulch site in Nashville

Omni Hotel

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/nashville

JW Marriott under construction

JW Marriott Nashville: Nashville Luxury Hotels

National Museum of African American Music under construction

https://nmaam.org/

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...e/crane-watch/[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or