U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More classically urban, walkable downtown?
Nashville 54 46.96%
Kansas City 61 53.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:51 PM

296 posts, read 512,323 times

Advertisements

Nashville, Visited there last summer, got there around noon, went down the main drag street ( broadway I think) , First thing I saw was a honky tonk full of people dancing and getting completely wasted and barely even noon yet. You won't find that kind of Culture in KC. Nashville FTW!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 03:40 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
Nashville, Visited there last summer, got there around noon, went down the main drag street ( broadway I think) , First thing I saw was a honky tonk full of people dancing and getting completely wasted and barely even noon yet. You won't find that kind of Culture in KC. Nashville FTW!!
Are you saying this is a positive thing for Nashville?

And what the hell is a honky tonk?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:33 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,464,733 times
Quote:
Good grief. This post (and that scene) makes me feel bad for Nashville. Well, that and the Predators, too.

Downtown KC is much better than Nashville, IMO. The fountains, surrounding hills, and a blend of old and new school architecture gets KC the win here.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 PM

2,305 posts, read 700,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Good grief. This post (and that scene) makes me feel bad for Nashville. Well, that and the Predators, too.

Downtown KC is much better than Nashville, IMO. The fountains, surrounding hills, and a blend of old and new school architecture gets KC the win here.
Agree about the fountains and old architecture but the hills?? Felt flat to me while I was there, not Dallas flat but still flat.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 PM

296 posts, read 512,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Are you saying this is a positive thing for Nashville?

And what the hell is a honky tonk?

A honk Tonk is basically a country bar, and yea, Id say positive, I wouldn't say negative that's for sure!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM

43 posts, read 25,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Commuter Rail to Lebanon with several stops in between since 2006.
Middle Tennessee RTA Home Page - quick links, featured news, news releases, contact information
A multimodal light rail and mass transit system in the planning stages.
The Plan
So they have a commuter line from a suburb to downtown.
Why even mention that?
That does nothing for people downtown, which is what this thread is about.
KC's downtown streetcar has over 2 million riders the first year of operation.

Quote:
Nashville downtown farmer's market
Nashville Farmers' Market
KC clear edge - not even close.

Quote:
Whole Foods coming soon
So Nashville has no full service grocer downtown - clear edge to KC, again.
You keep mentioning possible amenities that are planned - that isn't what you claimed.
You claimed Nashville had better amenities right now.

Quote:
Whole Foods headed to new downtown Nashville tower
Caviar and Bananas now open in midtown
Caviar & Bananas
Kroger now open in midtown
Publix in the planning stages 3 miles south of downtown
Publix grocery store planned for Nashville's Melrose area
What part of "downtown" do you need clarification on?
Sorry, it's really hard to have a serious discussion when you won't stay on topic and relevance.

Quote:
The Turnip Truck

Sprouts coming soon to East Nashville
Wow, you're like the energizer bunny.
This discussion is immediate to each city's current downtown.
Not about what is planned or in another part of Nashville - just downtown.
You claimed downtown Nashville has better amenities than downtown KC?

Please google "art gallery."
They are not "bars," "museums" or "halls of fame."

Quote:
Fifth and Broadway
https://www.fifthandb.com/
That's a mixed-use development dedicated to honky-tonks that's not even built yet?
It is not an aquarium or like Crown Center, which has a LegoLand, a family oriented mall and live theater and restaurants.
Not an amenity - not built yet.

Quote:
A larger tourism and convention center
Nashville has more tourism. But downtown KC has 3 times more residents living downtown.
Every thing you mentioned were hotels under construction - not even current amenities.
KC has 9 new hotels being added including a new 800 room CC Loews.
Each city has hotels and new hotels on the way, you didn't respond with a single amenity that Nashville currently has that KC does not have. Meanwhile downtown KC has many amenities that Nashville does not have. I'm not going to respond to any post directed my way as it seems unfruitful to try to discuss this with you. Perhaps someone else knows of amenities Nashville has that KC does not?

Last edited by eugeniomerill; 07-20-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 08:13 PM

43 posts, read 25,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Agree about the fountains and old architecture but the hills?? Felt flat to me while I was there, not Dallas flat but still flat.
You must have been in the Kansas suburbs, which are flat.
The urban city side in Missouri has steep hills and bluffs.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Yea, I thought the convention centers were about the same size of actual exhibit space. Nashville's used to be much smaller than KC's. It looks like Nashville includes their arena in some of their numbers too which KC does not since KC's arena is a few blocks away.

And downtown Nashville is flat compared to downtown KCMO.

The streetcar is also huge. That is transit that everybody that lives, works and plays in downtown KC can use all day and night long. A few rush hour commuter trains that moves a few hundred a day to and from suburban parking lots is not the same thing.

Nashville does have a pro sports team based downtown. Two if you count the Titans. KC does not.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
A honk Tonk is basically a country bar, and yea, Id say positive, I wouldn't say negative that's for sure!
Yea, that would be just annoying to me. A big negative! Does that mean there are also lifted diesel pick up trucks spewing black smoke all over the place like I have seen in OKC? If so, another negative .

Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 AM

93 posts, read 67,611 times
To be honest , Nashville is about to transform itself. Nashville yards, 5th and Broadway, Whole Foods in the endeavor tower. Just give it less than 5 years it's coming all right. Check back in a couple of years Nashville is going through one of the biggest transformations in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or