U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: More classically urban, walkable downtown?
Nashville 54 46.96%
Kansas City 61 53.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2017, 04:20 PM
 
93 posts, read 67,724 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I guess we all have different ideas of what a big city is and how it functions or should function.

To stay on subject, KC offers better urban living options then Nashville.
Elaborate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
5,525 posts, read 1,659,914 times
Reputation: 4739
For those unfamiliar with downtown Kansas City, here's a video I made of it last year. Be sure to have speakers on for music.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 PM
 
1,307 posts, read 2,066,090 times
Reputation: 2726
Kansas City is significantly more urban by every possible metric and definition than Nashville. It has a much larger downtown residential population, and much more extensive built urban environment. In many key ways, downtown Nashville in 2017 is an entertainment district, similar to downtown Austin twenty years ago. KC has a variety of urban districts. There is nothing like the Country Club plaza or KC Power and Light in Nashville.The area around lower Broadway in Nashville has livelier nightlife than anywhere in KC, but for urban living KC by a LONG country mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Reputation: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
I'm surprised Kansas City is winning - what do you think makes it more classically urban and walkable?
I am not surprised. The caviots of walkable and classically urban tip the scales in its favor. But in the heading it says live and better which are more subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Reputation: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
For those unfamiliar with downtown Kansas City, here's a video I made of it last year. Be sure to have speakers on for music.

I turned it on mute after the first few seconds. To be such an urban city, all of the streets were empty. Is it normally empty or was it the time of day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 AM
 
Location: California x North Carolina (soon)...
3,321 posts, read 2,243,861 times
Reputation: 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I turned it on mute after the first few seconds. To be such an urban city, all of the streets were empty. Is it normally empty or was it the time of day?
Lol I did too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Reputation: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am not surprised. The caviots of walkable and classically urban tip the scales in its favor. But in the heading it says live and better which are more subjective.
caveats*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,224 posts, read 5,577,354 times
Reputation: 3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
Elaborate
Nashville has no usable rail system that serves DT residents.

Nashville has no full service grocery store for DT residents.

KC has the Plaza near DT that serves the DT population very well.

There is more diverse things to do in and around DT KC for its residents.

These points have been written about many times during the course of this thread.

2 million people isn't pushing Nashville into a nother tier above KC. Nor is Nashville "punching" above it weight in the category of urban living options.

Nashville has a tourist based entertainment district that gives people who don't know city living a sense of something that isn't there.

Sheeeze.... anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 04:54 PM
 
93 posts, read 67,724 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Nashville has no usable rail system that serves DT residents.

Nashville has no full service grocery store for DT residents.

KC has the Plaza near DT that serves the DT population very well.

There is more diverse things to do in and around DT KC for its residents.

These points have been written about many times during the course of this thread.

2 million people isn't pushing Nashville into a nother tier above KC. Nor is Nashville "punching" above it weight in the category of urban living options.

Nashville has a tourist based entertainment district that gives people who don't know city living a sense of something that isn't there.

Sheeeze.... anything else?
1. Not at the moment

2. There is HG Hill already which claims to be full service. Whole Foods is coming anyway.

2. Don't see how the plaza is any different than what's going to be constructed by 2019 in Nashville (5th and Broad)

3. Nashville yards, 5&B, Capital View will change that


Like I said wait a couple of years the downtown fabric is about to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM
 
Location: KCMO
633 posts, read 437,941 times
Reputation: 528
KC is already a 2 million+ population metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top