U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 PM

3,626 posts, read 8,409,760 times

Advertisements

I think it was a conclusion you could have came up with on your own instead of a groupthink......The demographics of this website isnt able to answer your question as accurately as you would like. Do you think most people here live in the "hood"? I think those are the people qualified to answer the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,868,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I think it was a conclusion you could have came up with on your own instead of a groupthink......The demographics of this website isnt able to answer your question as accurately as you would like. Do you think most people here live in the "hood"? I think those are the people qualified to answer the question.
So you have to currently live in the "hood" to be able to answer or even know about it?

So people on here couldn't possibly be familiar with my question because they....

- Once lived there, but made it out
- have relatives or friends there
- experienced being around people from different backgrounds at college or choosing to "party" at various locations over the years
- have lived near a hood

I guarantee at least one of those describes most of the people who already replied so far.

A better question would be, why are you so uncomfortable with it? You think it "doesn't belong" because it supposedly doesn't align with the "demographics of this website"

"Dont ask that, it doesnt fit in around here!" What?

If you're a fellow black person, just wow . If you didnt like the thread or feel "ashamed" to discuss certain things in front of "others" you werent force to participate. You can always reply in a thread that "fits in" because it warrants the approval of the "demographics of the website"

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-13-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 PM

I'm uncomfortable with it because it's another thread that is directed at a specific group but doesn't offer any solutions, I could care less about your petty side comments.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,868,116 times
In other words, you're" uncomfortable" talking about things the "demographics of the website" may not understand or approve of? You're looking for "approval?" Wow

Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 AM

Indeed good luck "soul brotha"

Old 07-14-2017, 12:53 AM

13,983 posts, read 18,773,435 times
I pretty much agree with everyone else.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 3,486 times
I agree that you're more likely to have more of a diverse black population in big cities, but the ghettos in those cities are so enormous in comparison to smaller cities and usually much worse than any bad neighborhood those towns have.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM

21,110 posts, read 15,420,994 times
Taking the race component out of it, a lot of this simply boils back down to education level and affluence.

I live in a small town in east TN, about 90% white. It's not an affluent area. Many of the clubs around here cater to the biker and redneck crowd. Many of these clubs are known for frequently having trouble.

I used to live in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis. There weren't true clubs there, but plenty of upscale cocktail lounges and jazz clubs. There was never a problem. Go to downtown Indy, and places that are more upscale tend to have fewer problems, regardless of race, than places that attract a downmarket demographic.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:35 PM

13,983 posts, read 18,773,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Taking the race component out of it, a lot of this simply boils back down to education level and affluence.

I live in a small town in east TN, about 90% white. It's not an affluent area. Many of the clubs around here cater to the biker and redneck crowd. Many of these clubs are known for frequently having trouble.

I used to live in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis. There weren't true clubs there, but plenty of upscale cocktail lounges and jazz clubs. There was never a problem. Go to downtown Indy, and places that are more upscale tend to have fewer problems, regardless of race, than places that attract a downmarket demographic.
You put race back into it literally in the next sentence lol.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:02 PM

482 posts, read 218,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I recently spoke to a 21 year old black female from Metro Atlanta. She originally went away to college at the HBCU of Savannah State University in Savannah, GA. She said she transferred back to Clark-Atlanta University because "they live a completely different lifestyle down there." By "they," she meant the black community there compared to the black community in Metro Atlanta. She talked about how her car was broken into multiple times, and how too many of the people she ran into were (or pretended to be) "hood." She said she wasnt used to it being that bad in Atlanta.

As a Maconite, our convo made me think of something I've been wondering. Would you say the "street" or "thug" culture is actually worse in mid-sized and smaller cities than major/larger cities? With cities like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. of course you have plenty of that same element, but you also have a sizable portion of the black community that isnt into that kind of lifestyle.

In smaller metros like where I'm from (Macon, GA) or Albany, GA, I've noticed things like how hard it is to keep a lounge or establishment open that caters to a black crowd that prefers a dress code, neo-soul, laid back, etc. because it hardly draws a crowd but the "hood" clubs are booming because that's what it seems like everyone is into. It gets even worse in rural towns.
This is a good post and a good question Southern Soul Bro,

I do believe it's gotten to the point where, in some ways, street/thug culture gets progressively worse the smaller the city gets. The intriguing things about it is the generational reversal. Back in the 70s and 80s, when northern blacks first started returning to the South in large numbers, one of the reasons they did so was because of the declining urban neighborhoods in big northern cities. People used to move to the country to get away from thug culture. Now they move to the city to get away from it.

But the other interesting thing is thug culture is just as prevalent in big cities as it has always been. Major cities have not eliminated black people with a street mentality; they've just added a decent proportion of black people with more "sophisticated" interests. So the black community in places like Atlanta, for example, can have a large street culture population -- much larger than in the small towns -- but without necessarily being defined or restricted by it.

Whereas the small town (A) may have 10,000 young blacks going out at night with almost all 10,000 looking for a street environment, the major city (B) will have 100,000 young blacks going out with maybe 70,000 looking for a street environment. The total 70,000 street soldiers in B dwarf the 10,000 in A, but B is still the preferable environment for blacks who aren't into street culture (*raising my hand) because it has 30,000 people available to patronize other entertainment options as well.

Nightlife for me is not a hip hop club, but an intimate jazz club or wine bar. Places like Macon, Albany and Savannah are much less likely to have critical masses of the type of patrons who help sustain these places over the long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or