U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mt. Rainier vs. Mt. Shasta
Mt. Rainier 39 68.42%
Mt. Shasta 16 28.07%
Tie 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times

Advertisements

Mt. Hood is perhaps a more beautiful mountain with its tall pointed peak, but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and that is the case here.

Mt. Hood is also more visable coming westbound on I-84 than Rainier is on I-90.

The highways that are open during the summer provide spectacular views of Rainier around the mountain, and it is a National Park for a reason. With Mt. Hood, it is also nice to look at up close, but Rainier wins in this category, IMO.

In general, IMO, Rainier is the greater mountain from a visual sense and pure size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,807,569 times
I've seen both mountains and Mt Rainier is more impressive, for one Mt Rainier can be seen from sea level, as oppose to Shasta which sits on a Plateau, so it doesn't look as tall/large. Also Mt Rainier has way more glaciers, and in summer Shasta is basically a big brown mound with a few skinny glaciers. Rainier is glistening white all year round. Also Rainier > Hood, I'm not a huge fan of how pointy it is, it's beautiful, but it doesn't look as large, it's got less volume.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM

559 posts, read 510,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Perhaps the better question would be Mt Rainier vs Mt Hood?
Mount Rainier vs. Mount Hood

Old 07-14-2017, 11:18 AM

3,504 posts, read 2,727,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
And Mt Rainier won that poll almost unanimously. Still perhaps a better suggestion then Mt Shasta, since Mt Hood is in a metropolitan area, like Mt Rainier is. I was thinking more along the lines of which mountain provides the better views from the city/suburbs, Mt Rainier (Seattle) or Mt Hood (Portland)? Not which mountain is better, when it's obvious which is the larger, more prominent mountain.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 570,114 times
Quote:
And Mt Rainier won that poll almost unanimously. Still perhaps a better suggestion then Mt Shasta, since Mt Hood is in a metropolitan area, like Mt Rainier is. I was thinking more along the lines of which mountain provides the better views from the city/suburbs, Mt Rainier (Seattle) or Mt Hood (Portland)? Not which mountain is better, when it's obvious which is the larger, more prominent mountain.
You can see Rainier from all over the place out here. If I go outside my apartment right now (provided it's not cloudy) I can see Rainier. Forgive the quality but these are just random photos I took all within ~5 minutes of where I live to show you what I mean. It's really something you have to see in person to get a feel for how massive it is. Pictures don't do it justice. I'm in Olympia which is about ~65 miles or so from MRNP btw.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM

3,568 posts, read 2,014,636 times
Quote:
Mt. Rainier is 50 miles from Seattle but probably 30 from Tacoma. From Seattle it's big on the skyline, but from Tacoma...wow. Mt. Hood is shorter and probably closer to 40 miles. Therefore from Seattle it's probably debatable (Mt. Rainier still wins) but from Tacoma it's no contest.

The contest is probably a bit slanted because Rainier is more well known, and more people visit Seattle than Portland. But Rainier should win regardless.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:35 PM

Being a National Park is a big advantage for Rainier. It gets federal funds for upkeep, but beyond that it offers more opportunities for the average tourist. You can basically get up close and personal with the mountain (mainly from the south and east), and spend as much time as you want. A few photo ops, or a few hikes. Just be aware that Rainier can be wintry most of the year, and expect clouds and even snowfall from October to June. Yes, June.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:43 PM

BTW, Chinook Pass (State 410) is closed during the winter. Also no access to Longmire/Pinnacle to the Mt. Rainier lodge in winter. (definitions: winter is based on conditions, but expect winter conditions from October to June, at worst, some years will be open earlier)

Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Being a National Park is a big advantage for Rainier. It gets federal funds for upkeep, but beyond that it offers more opportunities for the average tourist. You can basically get up close and personal with the mountain (mainly from the south and east), and spend as much time as you want. A few photo ops, or a few hikes. Just be aware that Rainier can be wintry most of the year, and expect clouds and even snowfall from October to June. Yes, June.
What does it offer that Mt. Shasta doesn't? Seems like Mt Shasta would have more to do because it has a ski resort on it.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM

990 posts, read 925,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What does it offer that Mt. Shasta doesn't? Seems like Mt Shasta would have more to do because it has a ski resort on it.
You keep bringing up the skiing, but Shasta Ski Park is a relatively small deal, and even though they apparently do mountain biking in the summer, it's hardly a full service kind of resort. And again, there's a much more comprehensive ski area- Crystal Mountain, the largest in WA- directly across from Rainier with a big gondola, year-round services, hotels, etc. Hard to give the advantage to Shasta there.

But the main advantage for Rainier is that it's a national park, with much more of an infrastructure for recreation on the mountain- trails, roads, campgrounds, visitor centers, several "villages" high on the mountain that include several vista/trailhead areas, as well as grand old historic lodges: Sunrise Day Lodge and Paradise Inn, an overnight destination and basecamp area for summiting. For the average Joe wanting to do some sightseeing or go for a walk in a scenic area, Rainier has a lot more to offer. Just about everyone who's lived in the Puget Sound Region has some memory of taking trips up to Paradise or Sunrise and walking out onto the snow and/or checking out wildflowers.

Shasta is impressive, mind you, but fairly remote and more often viewed from a distance. Rainier is a big tourist draw, visible from the sea but actually accessible by millions. Plus, Rainier is much more integrated and iconic to the entire NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or