U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Road Rage more common in Arizona, Texas, or are both equal?
Arizona 13 40.63%
Texas 14 43.75%
Both are Equal 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM

27 posts, read 19,009 times

Advertisements

I recently found out that Arizona has some road rage, but I actually wonder if it's like Texas road rage or worse. I wonder if Phoenix and Tucson road rage is as bad as Houston and Dallas road rage and road rage in Texas in general. What do you all think? Does Arizona have as much road rage as Texas, the other way around, or are both equal?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 02:22 PM

817 posts, read 488,122 times
A number of years ago, I moved to the Phoenix area from South Florida, which, in my experience, has the some of worst road rage of any metropolitan area in the entire country due to:

1) Lots and lots of transplants from Boston, New York and Philadelphia (three metropolitan areas that feature very aggressive driving habits)
2) Tons of immigrants from Third World countries with very unsafe driving habits by North American standards
3) A limited presence of highway patrolmen, who are usually devoting their attention and efforts to combating drug smuggling, apprehending unlicensed drivers, reporting to scenes of crash-and-burn accidents (of which there are many in Florida), etc. instead of pulling over drivers who are speeding or improperly merging
4) Surface streets that are mostly very wide, well-signaled arterial thoroughfares with posted speed limits of 45 MPH, but can easily accommodate 60-70 MPH
5) A generally hostile, combative population to begin with (thank all of the New Yorkers and Latin Americans for that)

After dealing with all of the speeding, tailgating, horn-honking, merging without turn signals, running stoplights and so forth on South Florida roads, I thought I died and went to Heaven when I moved to Arizona and experienced almost none of that.

I drove regularly to Prescott in the north and Tucson in the south for work-related reasons, and I found the drivers in those areas to be even slower and more cautious than those in the Phoenix area, which makes sense since those are less populated cities.

When I first moved to Phoenix, I commented to either a colleague or neighbor about the relatively slow, cautious drivers in the metro area relative to other large cities. He told me that people in Arizona are generally pretty laid-back and not really in a rush to get anywhere, but also that, several years earlier, the City of Phoenix and a few neighboring suburbs had implemented a very aggressive stoplight traffic camera system to combat speeding on surface streets, which, like those in South Florida, are wide enough to accommodate much higher speeds than their posted speed limits.

Finally, Arizona is home to the highest percentage of residents who conceal-carry weapons, and guns are a major part of the culture of Arizona. A lot of people in Phoenix are probably fearful of cutting someone off and then flipping them the bird out of fear of the other driver retaliating with deadly force (it's happened many times before).

I've never driven on Texas roads, but to my understanding, people drive faster and more aggressively there than in Arizona, especially in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Arizona's population is mostly derived from California, the Pacific Northwest and the Upper Midwest -- areas that feature relatively safe, sensible drivers by national standards.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 07-15-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 984,028 times
Road rage is a problem in Texas in terms of drivers being aggressive, but I don't find the driver's to be rude or angry. For better or worse, people around here see aggressive driving as the norm and so while they may be unhappy about being cut off, they don't get angry about it. I've yet to see people get out of their cars and fight or yell at each other over driving.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 PM

Wow, so that explains all the aggressive driving in Arizona. I live in Tucson, and for a small city, I've found the drivers to be very inpatient, rude, angry, and they love honking horns here. I've been honked at for not making a left turn when there are tons of cars and people putting their hands out their window and everything. In Phoenix though, if you don't make that turn, when it's clear, the person behind you takes their turn and your stuck waiting. It's been really bothering me lately. I came from El Paso, and I thought drivers there were aggressive and rude. Only key difference is that they are more courteous when you want to switch lanes, but that's about it. Still same driving habits such as not signaling, cutting you off, and overall bad driving.

I once did experience road rage in Dallas when this guy rolled his window down and hit my car with his hand and then cut me off in a heavy traffic jam. I was in Houston recently and noticed the bad aggressive driving there too. Only reason I asked about road rage was because I never thought I'd ever see it in Arizona.

Now if you really want aggressive driving and rude driving, San Diego and Los Angeles are the places to go for that. Fast, tailgating drivers who pass you illegally.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,335,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_202 View Post
Wow, so that explains all the aggressive driving in Arizona. I live in Tucson, and for a small city, I've found the drivers to be very inpatient, rude, angry, and they love honking horns here. I've been honked at for not making a left turn when there are tons of cars and people putting their hands out their window and everything. In Phoenix though, if you don't make that turn, when it's clear, the person behind you takes their turn and your stuck waiting. It's been really bothering me lately. I came from El Paso, and I thought drivers there were aggressive and rude. Only key difference is that they are more courteous when you want to switch lanes, but that's about it. Still same driving habits such as not signaling, cutting you off, and overall bad driving.

I once did experience road rage in Dallas when this guy rolled his window down and hit my car with his hand and then cut me off in a heavy traffic jam. I was in Houston recently and noticed the bad aggressive driving there too. Only reason I asked about road rage was because I never thought I'd ever see it in Arizona.

Now if you really want aggressive driving and rude driving, San Diego and Los Angeles are the places to go for that. Fast, tailgating drivers who pass you illegally.
fast, slow, aggressive, you get everything you want in DC. Selfish drivers.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:11 PM

442 posts, read 346,168 times
I seen alot more road rage when i lived in New Mexico. I rarely ever see road rage here in Texas, the roads in Austin are so congested that it makes it hard to have road rage when you move bumper to bumper for miles and in San Antonio the drivers drive slow and it seems no one cares. And on the interstates in between thw driver's are actually somewhat considerate and patient, more patient than me anyways.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times
My visits to both show AZ more raging than Texas. In fact, despite its reputation, I found Texas drivers to be mostly polite, but still aggressive with speed. I think that is a nice combination. Arizona seems more combative and many seem to be angry. Just IMO.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:02 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,896,576 times
I was shocked at the very high amount of road rage I witnessed when I spent 5 months living in the San Diego area. It was enough to ruin my image of San Diego otherwise as being this hippy-dippy, live-your-life-and-be-happy city that it loves to project to the world as being.

I know that the raw number of road rage incidents is higher here in L.A. because of sheer population, but I can go months and months without seeing a single road rage incident. Now, people do love to blow their horns here, especially people such as stressed out Baby Boomers in their expensive BMWs and spoiled Latina princesses in their Audis who thrive on the concocted, in-their-mind drama of the moment.

As for Arizona vs. Texas, I can't comment on Arizona, but I've witnessed road rage in Dallas (Dallatude, anyone?) and heard some bad things about driving in Houston and San Antonio. Then again, people's experiences lead to different perceptions of a place and what it's like to be there anyway.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 AM

I'm looking at the polls, and I'm so shocked to see Arizona has more road rage than Texas! Damn, and I thought it was the other way around. California for sure hands down would win this vote if I put it as an option. Road rage there is probably the worst in the US. People in San Diego actually do honk at you for no reason. California drivers in general come off as angry and frustrated. But still, I'm shocked to see AZ has more road rage than TX. I've always thought Dallas and Houston drivers were worse than Phoenix drivers.

New Mexico? Road Rage? Lol, people there drive like snowbirds. Very slow, 10-15 under the speed limit. I never thought there would be road rage there.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
I think a Texas road rager would likely win, they are younger, have bigger guns, bigger cars and are better overall drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City