U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 7 cities would you most want to live in?
Seattle 56 31.46%
Chicago 32 17.98%
Minneapolis 14 7.87%
Pittsburgh 19 10.67%
Philadelphia 31 17.42%
Cincinnati 16 8.99%
Milwaukee 10 5.62%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 AM

1,419 posts, read 680,899 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Chicago and Milwaukee and loved them both. My vote went to Milwaukee, and I have to say, I'm surprised it has that many votes, considering there seems to be no one on this forum living in Milwaukee. Minneapolis and Seattle are too isolated, for me. Cincinnati isn't on a Great Lake, and (for me) living next to Lake Michigan, is a huge bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,548,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
Seattle is overrated for many reasons. The traffic is really bad and is getting worse. The weather from October through April is not very good. It's getting really crowded. Seattle has become very expensive. Seattle is still a great city overall but in my opinion Seattle was a much better city during the 1980's and 1990's. If you were not around Seattle during the 80's and 90's, then you can't understand what I'm talking about. If you are someone who has only been to Seattle during the last 15 or so years, then you might think Seattle is the greatest city on the planet but for those of us who were around Seattle many years ago, we know that Seattle used to be much better and we miss the Seattle of old so it's hard for us to love the current Seattle as much as we loved the old Seattle.

Seattle used to be a sneaky city that flew under the radar. People just thought of Seattle as being this city in the far corner of the country near Alaska where it rained all of the time. Those days are lone gone. Seattle is now the most popular city in the country and people are flocking to Seattle left and right from all over the country. Liberals love Seattle and Millennials really love Seattle. Seattle has become this hip and trendy city even though in my opinion it will never be cooler than New York City.

Seattle has also become a corporate city that is all about work and money. Seattle has become a yuppie city. Seattle used to be more of a blue-collar city that had a cool artsy vibe. The late 80's and early 90's was cool with the grunge music explosion. These days Seattle is all about tech companies and all about Amazon. Seattle has also become too Liberal in my opinion.

I really miss the good old days when I would go to watch the Seattle Supersonics basketball team play at the old Seattle Center Coliseum. Those days were so awesome. These days we no longer have the Sonics. They moved to Oklahoma City. Instead, we now have the Sounders. I personally don't care for soccer.

Seattle is still a good city but I just prefer the Seattle from my childhood. We never used to have hardly any traffic. Seattle used to be a much more friendly city. Seattle over the recent years has become a much less friendly city, much more rude, and much more arrogant. Seattle used to have a cool small town vibe. Seattle has now become a city with a big city vibe with lots of smug arrogant know-it-all people which is really annoying compared to the Seattle of old which was much more humble, genuine, and down-to-earth. Seattle has become much more fake and phony and much more obsessed with material things and being cool. You also see lots of fomo these days. People have a hard time just staying at home and relaxing. They have to attend every event or music festival. It's pretty crazy these days compared to the old days when things were more chill. It's a lot more go go fast pace these days compared to the old days.

I personally get annoyed because people make Seattle out to be this perfect city that is by far the best city in the country. Don't get me wrong, Seattle is a pretty good place overall. Seattle is better than most cities but it's far from being perfect. If Seattle was so perfect and amazing, my parents would not have left Seattle and lived down in Palm Desert, California during the months of November, December, January, February, March, and April when the weather in Seattle was crappy. My parents are smart and lucky because Summer is the only full season that they spend in Seattle. They get a little taste of Fall in October and then they get the hell out of here. They then return in the end of April to get a nice taste of Spring before Summer arrives. Even the most smug and arrogant Seattle person would have to admit that the weather sucked ass this past October through April. I have lived in Seattle most of my life and this past winter and spring was the worst stretch of weather I have ever experienced in my life. It was just plain horrible. It made me miss living in Alameda, California where the weather seemed to be between 65 and 72 degrees and sunny almost everyday which was boring but was also very comfortable year-round weather. Instead of having to wear a damn rain jacket everyday I would just throw on a t-shirt, grab my sunglasses, slip on my flip-flops, and I was out the door to cruise around in my convertible while listening to that rad 80's song "We Built this City" by Starship, some Greenday, some Huey Lewis, or some other rad Bay Area music.

I think I have said plenty about how I personally feel about Seattle and why I personally feel that Seattle is an overrated city in my opinion as someone who grew up in Seattle during the 1980's. I can see why Seattle is popular but I still feel that it's overrated and overhyped. It's just my opinion so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. You and everyone else can feel free to form your own opinion and think that Seattle is by far the greatest city in the country. We are all free to have our own opinion. It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's simply a matter of opinion, not fact.

I understand what you mean. Especially about the Sonics, hopefully we get they back soon. All cities right now are losing their cultures. Too much gentrification, not enough restoration.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM

32 posts, read 28,272 times
Chicago.

Great city. Huge. World class.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:19 AM

802 posts, read 458,760 times
Been to all of these cities except Cincy and Minneapolis (though I was there as a kid, I guess)

Seattle is a very cool place, but I would not choose to live there due to the 7-8 months of gloomy weather and the cost. I have mild seasonal-affective-disorder and would probably get really depressed by day after day of dark skies. Itís also unaffordable to me. While I didnít experience the Seattle Freeze when I visited, the countless accounts of this is also a major turnoff.

Milwaukee is underrated and has a nice urban feel for a smaller city. Being from Chicago, however, it would feel like an underwhelming little brother if I moved there.

Pittsburgh is also underrated. Beautiful setting, good urbanity, nice colleges in town. Full sports except the NBA, which I donít care much about. Really enjoyed it. My beef with Pittsburgh would be location. Itís not near any really impressive city Ė not by the coast. Subpar weather.

I describe Philly as a nice city that does nothing to wow you. Itís just fine, not exciting. And for those thinking the weather there is good, think again. Have several friends from there that complained about the 90 degree 90% humidity summers. Iíve had meetings there in the summer and the heat/humidity combo was worse than about anywhere Iíd ever been.

Chicago is my home city, and while not perfect, Iíd prefer to stay here compared to these other places.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:29 PM

3,581 posts, read 2,024,452 times
Seattle has gotten massively better year-by-year, in an urban sense.

Our overall density within city limits went from 5,800/sm to 8,300 or so in the latest estimates over a 30-year period. This has mostly been infill in the 15% of the city that allows density. The result is what's becoming a critical mass of density in more and more areas.

We finally have some rail transit, and the bus service is among the best and most heavily used in the US outside of the top few cities.

The city is much more international in its population, attitude, visitors, and airline connections.

That said, as a homeowner who doesn't drive, I'm insulated against the two largest complaints.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:51 PM

408 posts, read 840,146 times
I'd say out of this list, even though I live in the Seattle area and don't have any plans to leave I have spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh for work and it really grew on me. Just about the right size - great scenery, city scape, diversifying economy, and what they considered bad traffic felt just fine compared to what I'm used to. Quick flights to major cities on the eastern seaboard and Great Lakes cities. The only thing I didn't care for was how dead/brown it was in winter - Seattle is nice and green year round. That being said, spring/summer in Pitt was very green and lush, and fall colors were amazing. I think it has a lot going for it.

Other than that, Chicago's downtown, Lincoln Park, Evanston areas....I could see myself there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or