U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 AM

8,195 posts, read 4,398,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The northeast can be sweaty, as can the midwest. When the conditions are right, just about any place can be sweaty. I remember taking a July trip to Montreal some years back to escape a Houston summer only to find I dragged the hot and humid weather with me across the border.

While cities such as DC and Chicago experience sweaty days, of course, the gulf coast cities are in a class by themselves because of the duration and intensity of oppresive heat and humidity. Houston, for example, reached its first 90 degree day this year in April and its last 90+ degree on October 18 last year. Gulf coast cities also do not get the relief that comes in the evenings elsewhere. While examining the high temperatures, it is revealing to look at the lows. In Houston, for example, the lows have not fallen below 79 degrees the last three evenings.

While heat waves come and go even in Montreal, the heat begins arriving in April along the gulf coast, and stays well into October, bringing not only uncomfortable days but also uncomfortable evenings. Check these comparisons if you have any doubts.

Houston v DC: https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9
Hmmm, the lows for Philly haven't fallen below 80F over the last 3 nights either. And night temps like that have happened before in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 10:48 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The northeast can be sweaty, as can the midwest. When the conditions are right, just about any place can be sweaty. I remember taking a July trip to Montreal some years back to escape a Houston summer only to find I dragged the hot and humid weather with me across the border.

While cities such as DC and Chicago experience sweaty days, of course, the gulf coast cities are in a class by themselves because of the duration and intensity of oppresive heat and humidity. Houston, for example, reached its first 90 degree day this year in April and its last 90+ degree on October 18 last year. Gulf coast cities also do not get the relief that comes in the evenings elsewhere. While examining the high temperatures, it is revealing to look at the lows. In Houston, for example, the lows have not fallen below 79 degrees the last three evenings.

While heat waves come and go even in Montreal, the heat begins arriving in April along the gulf coast, and stays well into October, bringing not only uncomfortable days but also uncomfortable evenings. Check these comparisons if you have any doubts.

Houston v DC: https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9
Yes Houston is in a class by itself here. However, DC is in a class different from Chicago too. Chicago summers are more comfortable and tolerable than DC. DC definitely is one of the sweat cities in this country. I think DC can get its first 90 temps as early as May. Sometimes it has occurred as early as March though it's rare. I think it late happened in 2010. It can last well into September too.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM

2,459 posts, read 1,042,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Tell us more.

Oh and that storm, sure, it'll blow out the humidity for a few minutes. Then when the sun comes back out, it'll start evaporating all the water and it'll feel like hell. Go a few miles inland, you know, where most people live, and you won't get much of a breeze at all.

You don't even live here. Please stop posting.
1.) NWS > Accuweather

2.) It won't be completely sunny after such storms; there still will be remnant cloud cover in the sky to ease the effects.

3.) The winds don't just come from the sea-breeze (which penetrates well inland, anyways, if you've ever looked at a radar); the storms themselves, with their outflow boundaries, give the good gusts of cool air to relieve from summer's heat, no matter how inland you are.

Been all over the coastal South, from Houston to NOLA to Miami. Currently, I'm doing a tour through Southern China, which takes me to areas from Shanghai to Guangzhou. Guess what? All these areas see the same type of hot, humid, storm-producing regime during summer that also occurs in Tampa. Not to mention the amount of sources/data I have at my disposal; I know what I'm talking about with this.

How about you log off? Use the time to do some research, or maybe find ways to stop crying over 1st world problems; either way, you learn something.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:19 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,064,623 times
These --- straw man arguments are getting ridicules ... including the tree one. Trees and clouds do little to ease the sweat index of a 90F day with 80-90% HUMIDITY day. The sweat is just not going to evaporate to gain enough cooling effect.

The premise of the marketers of Honeywell fans? Tells us which cities are the SWEATIEST? Is ridicules too. Next list by a air-conditioner company.

Stats showing cities with most 85+ days and 80%+ humidity per year ...... should be sufficient to be termed the SWEATIEST. Humidity index IS THE MAIN CULPRET in slowing to near 0 ..... sweat evaporation.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 PM

686 posts, read 344,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
1.) NWS > Accuweather

2.) It won't be completely sunny after such storms; there still will be remnant cloud cover in the sky to ease the effects.

3.) The winds don't just come from the sea-breeze (which penetrates well inland, anyways, if you've ever looked at a radar); the storms themselves, with their outflow boundaries, give the good gusts of cool air to relieve from summer's heat, no matter how inland you are.
It's funny how you're on the other side of the planet and you try to tell someone in Tampa how it feels in Tampa. Get real.

And no, inland it is not breezy. At all. If you disagree, you are wrong. Know how I know? I'm actually here. Thanks and good day.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:53 PM

6,554 posts, read 7,302,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes Houston is in a class by itself here. However, DC is in a class different from Chicago too. Chicago summers are more comfortable and tolerable than DC. DC definitely is one of the sweat cities in this country. I think DC can get its first 90 temps as early as May. Sometimes it has occurred as early as March though it's rare. I think it late happened in 2010. It can last well into September too.
Yea, I know DC occupies a different "sweat tier" than Chicago. The graphs I posted show that in spite of this, a northeast city such as DC are nevertheless markedly cooler and less humid on average than a selected gulf city.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM

6,554 posts, read 7,302,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm, the lows for Philly haven't fallen below 80F over the last 3 nights either. And night temps like that have happened before in Philly.
Yes. As you're well aware, I live in Philly. While such waves come and go in Philly and the northeast, these patterns are more the norm around the gulf coast. The projected lows for Houston over the next 15 days never fall below 79, while in Philly, they range between 66 and 72 during the same period. Houston averages 74 days above 90 each year compared with 21 in Philly: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ies-summer.php

Old 07-22-2017, 01:38 PM

5,329 posts, read 7,374,100 times
The Deep South states are #1. I used to live in Florida and would walk outside after taking my shower just to be drenched in sweat from humidity.

OK City, Tulsa, Fort Worth, and Dallas are nice runner-ups though.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:05 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,042,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
It's funny how you're on the other side of the planet and you try to tell someone in Tampa how it feels in Tampa. Get real.

And no, inland it is not breezy. At all. If you disagree, you are wrong. Know how I know? I'm actually here. Thanks and good day.
Funny how you conveniently ignored that part where I told you that I've been all over locations that feature the same summer weather patterns as Tampa.

Didn't say that breezes come every second of the time, but the fact is that breezes come in from the outflows that come from the frequent summer storms over inland Florida. Stop whining over trivialities, and you will see how much of a cakewalk the summers are in Tampa and the coastal South.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:15 PM

686 posts, read 344,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Funny how you conveniently ignored that part where I told you that I've been all over locations that feature the same summer weather patterns as Tampa.
Then how are you so wrong about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City