U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM
 
8,641 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Reputation: 5185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Here's some free education for the many posters that are in need of it:


https://goo.gl/duqP1Z
"May" is the key word there, it depends on the species. I can tell you right now any place east of about 85 W is very lush.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
6,521 posts, read 3,795,248 times
Reputation: 4787
Oops, forgot about Washington, DC and Philly.....humid and sweaty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Tampa
686 posts, read 344,986 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Remind why those aspects matter if the resulting heat index is within reasonable tolerance threshold.
Because we're talking about the sweatiest cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 04:01 AM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,567 posts, read 1,307,902 times
Reputation: 1087
Gulf coast area cities hands down. End of discussion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 06:13 AM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,459 posts, read 1,043,086 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Let's see....

TIER 1
Houston
New Orleans

Tier 2
Dallas
Orlando
Miami
Tempa

Tier 3
Jacksonville, FL
Mobile
Shreveport
Jackson

Tier 4
Little Rock
Memphis
Tulsa

Tier 5
Savannah
Charleston, SC
Atlanta

Honorable mention.....NYC
Hmmm, you just tossed in a bunch of cities into a bunch of categories, no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
"May" is the key word there, it depends on the species. I can tell you right now any place east of about 85 W is very lush.
Sure, just not as lush/robust as the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Because we're talking about the sweatiest cities.
And heat feeling contrubutes to that. A place with lower heat indices isn't going to feel as sweaty/uncomfortable as a place with higher heat indices, regardless of the dew point values.

For example, Tampa is clearly a more comfortable summer climate than Phoenix, regardless of how high the dew points can get: because the heat indices are lower than in Phoenix.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 06:41 AM
 
7,177 posts, read 3,872,706 times
Reputation: 7537
NYC definitely deserves the number one spot. The gulf coast may be hotter and more humid, but they don't have to interact with the heat the way New Yorkers do...walking, standing on sweltering subway platforms, no central air, walk-up apartments. And frankly, you'd be surprised at how many New Yorkers don't have window units. Historically, it's been hard for people to transport air conditioning units, and no one wants to haul one up four flights of stairs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Tampa
686 posts, read 344,986 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
For example, Tampa is clearly a more comfortable summer climate than Phoenix, regardless of how high the dew points can get: because the heat indices are lower than in Phoenix.
You conveniently dismiss the effects of humidity and unbearable dew points to fit your argument, which means you basically don't understand the point of this thread. Know what happens when the dew point is in the 70s and above? Your body can't evaporate sweat on its own. Hence, sweaty. Hence, the point of this thread. There is no comparison to Phoenix because the climate is so dry that your sweat evaporates before you even know it's there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 07:18 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,051 posts, read 1,294,611 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC definitely deserves the number one spot. The gulf coast may be hotter and more humid, but they don't have to interact with the heat the way New Yorkers do...walking, standing on sweltering subway platforms, no central air, walk-up apartments. And frankly, you'd be surprised at how many New Yorkers don't have window units. Historically, it's been hard for people to transport air conditioning units, and no one wants to haul one up four flights of stairs.
lol stop it, NYC is tolerable. In the Southeast, I walk out the house in a t-shirt and shorts and instantly feel like I'm in hell, and that's from just checking my mail. You talk about subways, but cars are worse, especially when they sit in the sun; hot steering wheel, hot seat, the smothering heat when you close the car door, and honestly I don't think people in NYC have to go through the pain of getting burnt by the metal part of the seatbelt every now and then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 07:28 AM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,459 posts, read 1,043,086 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
You conveniently dismiss the effects of humidity and unbearable dew points to fit your argument, which means you basically don't understand the point of this thread. Know what happens when the dew point is in the 70s and above? Your body can't evaporate sweat on its own. Hence, sweaty. Hence, the point of this thread. There is no comparison to Phoenix because the climate is so dry that your sweat evaporates before you even know it's there.
I accounted for those factors, and then showed that they don't matter if the heat indices (real feel calculated by combing temps and dewpoints) still aren't that high.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 AM
 
8,641 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Hmmm, you just tossed in a bunch of cities into a bunch of categories, no rhyme or reason whatsoever.



Sure, just not as lush/robust as the South.



And heat feeling contrubutes to that. A place with lower heat indices isn't going to feel as sweaty/uncomfortable as a place with higher heat indices, regardless of the dew point values.

For example, Tampa is clearly a more comfortable summer climate than Phoenix, regardless of how high the dew points can get: because the heat indices are lower than in Phoenix.
The densest forests in the country are in the Casacdes and the Adirondacks through Longfellow Mountains.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=o1l...1qCJ9drH9MIxM:
The relative lack of Lushness in Northeastern cities is due to Density not nature. (Say Boston vs Atlanta or Raleigh vs Providence)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top