U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Milwaukee
Pittsburgh 26 65.00%
Milwaukee 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM

71 posts, read 48,049 times

Advertisements

Which metro do you prefer in terms of:
Architecture:
Economy:
Colleges/Universities:
History:
People:
Natural Beauty:
Bar/Club scene:
Downtown area:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 PM

518 posts, read 404,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPU2016 View Post
Which metro do you prefer in terms of:
Architecture:
Economy:
Colleges/Universities:
History:
People:
Natural Beauty:
Bar/Club scene:
Downtown area:
Architecture: Tie
Economy: MKE
Colleges: Pitt
History: Not sure
People: Hate this question
Natural Beauty: Tie
Bars: MKE
Downtown area: Pittsburgh for now, MKE has getting a complete skyline transformation

These 2 cities are pretty equal. Do you prefer scenic mountains or a well developed lakefront? There is your answer.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
This is a great match up.
Architecture: Pittsburgh
Economy: Milwaukee
Colleges/Universities: Pittsburgh
History: Pittsburgh
People: Milwaukee
Natural Beauty: Milwaukee
Bar/Club scene: Milwaukee
Downtown area: Milwaukee

Both have improved substantially. Milwaukee feels like a larger city than it is, and Pittsburgh feels smaller than it is. Milwaukee is my favorite because of its location on the lake, night life, and active restaurant scene. Pittsburgh has the better schools for higher education, museums, and architecture. Milwaukee has above average shopping options, while Pittsburgh is noticeably lacking in the area. I would choose Milwaukee.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:36 PM

1,414 posts, read 676,319 times
Not many (at all) posters on this site from Milwaukee and/or Wisconsin, so Pittsburgh will win handily. That doesn't mean it wins in all categories, though. Pittsburgh has a better skyline, but Milwaukee's is growing as I write this. One thing about Milwaukee, is that the skyline isn't all centered downtown. Along Prospect Avenue overlooking Lake Michigan, are numerous high-rise condos that form their own skyline, separate from downtown. It's impressive to be driving along the Lake, and look up to see the tall buildings overlooking the lake.

The skyline in Pittsburgh is nice, but (to me), it doesn't win over Milwaukee's biggest asset, which is its downtown on Lake Michigan. Hard to match that, and most cities can't.

Natural beauty...depends whether you like a water element or hills. I like both, but the water is more of an asset, at least, to me.

Downtown area - Milwaukee's downtown is on Lake Michigan...that wins (my opinion).

Economy - I could look it up, but so can everyone else. Milwaukee is a much larger city (proper), but Pittsburgh has a much larger MSA population. One thing Milwaukee has, though, is continuous development all the way to Chicago...that counts for something.

Milwaukee's skyline that is along the lake, and not a part of downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...!4d-87.8805518

Last edited by Enean; 07-17-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM

102 posts, read 54,712 times
Architecture: Pittsburgh. One of the best skylines in the country.
Economy: Milwaukee. Pittsburgh in 5-10 years.
Colleges/Universities: Pittsburgh
History: Pittsburgh
People: Push
Natural Beauty: TIE depends on preference.
Bar/Club scene: Unsure. I hear great things about Milwaukee in the category. Pittsburgh has the most bars per capita I believe.
Downtown area: Pittsburgh

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 PM

7,177 posts, read 3,869,610 times
This is a good matchup. I'm a 'burgh booster, but I also think Milwaukee is grossly underrated. The two cities are comparable on a lot of levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or