U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 AM
 
8,641 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Reputation: 5185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
When you tell people you're from Boston in Cleveland, I promise you nobody will say anything about 1974 bus riots.

I, however, as a Clevelander in Boston have been reminded of the Cuyahoga River fire countless times. It's like people here don't know anything about the place aside from stuff that happened 25 years before they were born (in my peer group at least).

People on the coasts, for all their outward "cosmopolitanism", in reality know very little about anywhere outside of city centers in Boston, NYC, LA, SF, DC and then some select European cities like Paris and London.
People always say Boston is a really racist place. After the Jones Incident Baltimoreans were saying how awfully racist Bostonians are using the Red Soxbing the last team to intergrate and the Bussing riots as proof, this coming from a city that had race riots last year, and also has its PD under investigation for excessive force against minorities and Boston is the city with all the racists. Reputation can stem from one or two events, and the smaller the city the more likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
989 posts, read 489,953 times
Reputation: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Stop and Frisk in NYC is literally the poster child for racist policing, meanwhile The Cleveland PD is under DOJ investigation for a pattern of excessive force used against POC and is not talked about.

Bostons image is tarnished by the Bussing Riots of 1974 although many cities have had riots since, Clevelands reputation was tarnished by a fire on a river when at the time it wasn't super uncommon, it's life.

And anyway I didn't really mean in real life I meant in context of Urbanist communities like this site.

OK tell somebody you're from NYC, nobody mentions Stop and Frisk, they talk about pizza, Times Square, the Yankees and Yankee Stadium. Tell somebody you're from Boston, nobody mentions the '74 riots or its racism, they talk about Fenway Park and the Red Sox, the skyline, clam chowder, or the Celtics. Tell somebody you're from Cleveland, the first thing they say is Mistake by the Lake. They talked about NYC's Stop and Frisk because NYPD's long history with racial profiling, it's NYC a city known for racial diversity so I think people are surprised that it's happening in such a diverse city. Cleveland is more segregated so nobody cares.

So, NYC and Boston's images aren't tarnished by those things, but Cleveland's image is still tarnished by the river fire in the '60s. If you're from the Coast the media is more on your side because a lot of those entities are on the Coast while if you're from Cleveland or The Rust Belt the media is more against those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
989 posts, read 489,953 times
Reputation: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People always say Boston is a really racist place. After the Jones Incident Baltimoreans were saying how awfully racist Bostonians are using the Red Soxbing the last team to intergrate and the Bussing riots as proof, this coming from a city that had race riots last year, and also has its PD under investigation for excessive force against minorities and Boston is the city with all the racists. Reputation can stem from one or two events, and the smaller the city the more likely.
Boston does have a history of racism. The '74 bus riots are a part of U.S. history just like the Cuyahoga River burning in Cleveland in the '60s is a part of U.S. history. Some of your African American Boston sports figures have even said they've encountered racism while playing in Boston. Robert Parrish said he ran to racism when he played for the Celtics. David Price, Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley said they've encountered racism from Red Sox fans. Even the great Bill Russell said that Celitc fans said racist things to him while he was there, and the late, great Red Auerbach told him that a lot of the fans resented drafting him.

Also, I ran across a Tweet from a Celtics fan after you guys signed Gordon Hayward over trading for Paul George saying, "I don't have root for these N-words anymore." But, guess what? Those things have not tarnished Boston's image, it's still a tourist spot, it still gets praised nationally, Boston Marathon gets a lot of hype (even before the tragic bombing) and it's had a rebirth, but the sports titles in 2000s and 2010s have helped tremendously. While cities like Cleveland and Baltimore are still defined by their pasts despite both cities winning championships in the 2010s (and the Ravens winning one in the 2000s). Cleveland is trying ot turn itself around, but a lot of the Coast still feel it's a third world country. Boston isn't still defined by the bus riots and gets a huge pass, especially from the national media. Nobody ever says to you, "I'm sorry" for living in Boston while people in Cleveland or any other Rust Belt city gets told that to them constantly when they're in the bigger cities.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 08-01-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 11:09 AM
 
1,323 posts, read 675,891 times
Reputation: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Boston does have a history of racism. The '74 bus riots are a part of U.S. history just like the Cuyahoga River burning in Cleveland in the '60s is a part of U.S. history. Some of your African American Boston sports figures have even said they've encountered racism while playing in Boston. Robert Parrish said he ran to racism when he played for the Celtics. David Price, Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley said they've encountered racism from Red Sox fans.

Also, I ran across a Tweet from a Celtics fan after you guys signed Gordon Hayward over trading for Paul George saying, "I don't have root for these N-words anymore." But, guess what? Those things have not tarnished Boston's image, it's still a tourist spot, it still gets praised nationally, Boston Marathon gets a lot of hype (even before the tragic bombing) and it's had a rebirth, but the sports titles in 2000s and 2010s have helped tremendously. While cities like Cleveland and Baltimore are still defined by their pasts despite both cities winning championships in the 2010s (and the Ravens winning one in the 2000s). Cleveland is trying ot turn itself around, but a lot of the Coast still feel it's a third world country. Boston isn't still defined by the bus riots and gets a huge pass, especially from the national media.
Last Page

Every city has racists and every city has a racist history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
989 posts, read 489,953 times
Reputation: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Last Page

Every city has racists and every city has a racist history.
That's true, but Boston does a history of racism that has been put on the map. I think racism in Boston is put out there more because it's on the East Coast, and the East Coast to the majority of the U.S. is seen as liberal, hip and diverse. While more assume that the Rust Belt may have more history of racism because it's more ethnic and segregated than the Coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM
 
1,323 posts, read 675,891 times
Reputation: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's true, but Boston does a history of racism that has been put on the map. I think racism in Boston is put out there more because it's on the East Coast, and the East Coast to the majority of the U.S. is seen as liberal, hip and diverse. While more assume that the Rust Belt may have more history of racism because it's more ethnic and segregated than the Coasts.
I'm from the Boston area so I'm obviously bias, but I think the Boston racist thing get way overblown. Like its an easy article to write. Maybe I'm way wrong and a black person from Boston will tell me no its really really racist here. There have been more recent race based riots in other cities (LA, Cinci) but it doesn't stick to the reputation like Boston. Didn't somebody just racially vandalize Lebron's house in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
989 posts, read 489,953 times
Reputation: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I'm from the Boston area so I'm obviously bias, but I think the Boston racist thing get way overblown. Like its an easy article to write. Maybe I'm way wrong and a black person from Boston will tell me no its really really racist here. There have been more recent race based riots in other cities (LA, Cinci) but it doesn't stick to the reputation like Boston. Didn't somebody just racially vandalize Lebron's house in LA?
I think the media doesn't emphasize the racism in Boston, they tend to look at the positives and the sports titles more than the racism. If you were out of town and told someone you're from Boston you would get more admiration. If I'm out of town and I tell somebody I'm from Cleveland; I would get more crazy looks and snarky comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 PM
 
1,323 posts, read 675,891 times
Reputation: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216;49039747[B
]I think the media doesn't emphasize the racism in Boston[/b], they tend to look at the positives and the sports titles more than the racism. If you were out of town and told someone you're from Boston you would get more admiration. If I'm out of town and I tell somebody I'm from Cleveland; I would get more crazy looks and snarky comments.
I kinda think it does. Its an easy story to write. I don't think Boston is anymore racist than any other city, but I'm white and I haven't had the same experiences as a Black, Latino, or Asian person. The Adam Jones story is terrible but I would be shocked if Boston was the first place he heard an N-Bomb thrown his way. I feel like Boston racism = national news.

I think it was on deadspin when the Bruins lost in the playoffs that a writer twitter searched Boston and N***** because the guy who scored the winning goal was black. But twitter is a dumpster for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
989 posts, read 489,953 times
Reputation: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I kinda think it does. Its an easy story to write. I don't think Boston is anymore racist than any other city, but I'm white and I haven't had the same experiences as a Black, Latino, or Asian person. The Adam Jones story is terrible but I would be shocked if Boston was the first place he heard an N-Bomb thrown his way. I feel like Boston racism = national news.

I think it was on deadspin when the Bruins lost in the playoffs that a writer twitter searched Boston and N***** because the guy who scored the winning goal was black. But twitter is a dumpster for the most part.
But, in the end Boston gets more of a pass in spite of the racism than Cleveland or any other Rust Belt/Legacy city. The national media still hound us and clown us for crap that happened over 50 years ago. The media focuses a lot more on Boston's positives more than its negatives. Trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
11,902 posts, read 10,990,024 times
Reputation: 9802
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
But, in the end Boston gets more of a pass in spite of the racism than Cleveland or any other Rust Belt/Legacy city. The national media still hound us and clown us for crap that happened over 50 years ago. The media focuses a lot more on Boston's positives more than its negatives. Trust me.
That might have something to do with the fact that the majority of the descendants of those racist white Boston residents 50+ years ago live in suburbs like Braintree now. The white population is predominantly transplant - and to a large degree transient college and graduate students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top