U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
But, in the end Boston gets more of a pass in spite of the racism than Cleveland or any other Rust Belt/Legacy city. The national media still hound us and clown us for crap that happened over 50 years ago. The media focuses a lot more on Boston's positives more than its negatives. Trust me.
I don't really think that's true. I mean we're discussing it right now on this forum. On this forum I think Boston = racist gets brought up all the time. Boston 1970's busing riots gets brought up more than Cinci 2001 riots or LA 1992 Rodney King Riots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I kinda think it does. Its an easy story to write. I don't think Boston is anymore racist than any other city, but I'm white and I haven't had the same experiences as a Black, Latino, or Asian person. The Adam Jones story is terrible but I would be shocked if Boston was the first place he heard an N-Bomb thrown his way. I feel like Boston racism = national news.

I think it was on deadspin when the Bruins lost in the playoffs that a writer twitter searched Boston and N***** because the guy who scored the winning goal was black. But twitter is a dumpster for the most part.
It's obvious that the population in attendance at Red Sox games don't live anywhere near Boston, if you've ever observed behavior at Kenmore station taking the T before or after games (clearly people have no idea what is going on). It's hard for me to consider them with the city.

I think we live in a time where everyone is racist for every reason according to someone or other and honestly it is very tiresome. Let's say there was a racist guy at Fenway shouting at Adam Jones. I would be extremely confident in saying that this dude lives outside 95, even probably 495.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's obvious that the population in attendance at Red Sox games don't live anywhere near Boston, if you've ever observed behavior at Kenmore station taking the T before or after games (clearly people have no idea what is going on). It's hard for me to consider them with the city.

I think we live in a time where everyone is racist for every reason according to someone or other and honestly it is very tiresome. Let's say there was a racist guy at Fenway shouting at Adam Jones. I would be extremely confident in saying that this dude lives outside 95, even probably 495.
Why? I mean I was arguing the other way before, but are there no racist people in Boston? You can live in Boston, Brookline, Wayland and still be a racist. I don't know why people further from the city are more likely to be racist.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

987 posts, read 489,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I don't really think that's true. I mean we're discussing it right now on this forum. On this forum I think Boston = racist gets brought up all the time. Boston 1970's busing riots gets brought up more than Cinci 2001 riots or LA 1992 Rodney King Riots
People still bring up the 1992 L.A. Riots, in fact networks such as ABC, ShowTime and A&E just did documentaries a few months on the L.A. Riots to commemorate the 25th Anniversary. I think they bring up the '74 Riots because busing was a historic event across the country, and almost every city started busing except for Boston. Also, a lot of the white residents harmed people and caused lots of violence. I don't know why the 2001 Cinci Riots aren't talked about more. But, they don't define Boston by '74, but they still define Cleveland by the '69 Cuyahoga River fire.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:40 AM

3,626 posts, read 4,346,455 times
Quote:
Some legacy cities more than others seem to get a ridiculous pass as being greater than they actually are...

I think Detroit is an example of a legacy city that gets derided far more than it should. For as hard as it fell, it's still a Top 15 city, and exceeds or is equal to cities in the Top 13-20 range in most categories. It's density is now below 5000 I believe, but Detroit is a city's city and deserves far more respect than it receives....

St. Louis is an example of a city that gets due respect, however, is perilously in danger of falling behind it's "new" peer cities in Charlotte and Portland, and maybe others. So for St. Louis especially, it has a very strong urban fabric but in all other measures of city comparison, Charlotte and Portland have largely caught up to it...

Cleveland and Buffalo, twin cities of different size if there ever were, get WAAAYYY too much credit on here for what they actually are...
Going by the 2010 census it's still above 5,000. But YES this is the point I try to hit home all the time. Detroit has had more issues facing it the last half century and so far this century then any other city. How on earth is Detroit still a top 15 city (really top 11-13 on average)? Now that's what you call a great city imo. The quality of life in Metro Detroit is one of the best when adjusted for COL, there are alot of people without college degrees that are basically living the American dream. Home owner, car owner, take vacations, and able to support 2 or 3 kids and still have alot more money left over to enjoy the big city amenities that you have in other cities. And if you have a college degree in Metro Detroit you can almost guarantee a great QOL, early retirement, great school district, and just about all the toys and amenities near you that you want. It's way too underrated imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm not sure about a pass per se but I personally prefer very urban high density environments but when considering a relocation, I would still prefer Atlanta/Charlotte vs. Cleveland/Detroit. Just because a place has the infrastructure that gives off a more urban feel, without the density it would still "feel" empty. At least with the Atlanta & Charlotte's, there's a sense/feeling of continuous growth and development.
Actually I think Detroit and Cleveland is more densely populated then Atlanta and Charlotte.

Quote:
I swear I don't get the whole " It's gonna suck" if such & such team's in the playoffs aren't in A, B, or C city." Or D, E, & F city need to make a run at such & such a player because he's wasting his talent playing in the town he's in now." Even though that team's playing with a winning record compared to the losing squad they'd like to see him on."

I've called radio stations and complained about that when I'd hear the host say something like., "OKC & Cleveland" is gonna be a ratings nightmare."

It's about the best teams being able to put the best product on the field/court/rink/etc;....It's NOT only about LA, Miami, New York, Boston, Philly, Detroit, etc; being the only markets worthy of the playoffs and the other 30 teams are just a pro version of the New Jersey Generals.
Quote:
I totally agree that are certain people in the media that feel that sports such as the NBA is only great when cities like New York, L.A., Chicago and Miami are good. Or, the MLB, especially around playoff time, the media feels that it should only the Yankees and Red Sox in the ALCS every year. Last year, the national media was rooting hard for a Cubs-Red Sox World Sox or Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. They feel that teams in those cities outside of the mentioned cities are bad for the sports. I never felt that way, a great team is a great team no matter what city they're in. The Spurs have won 5 NBA titles in an 18-year period while playing in San Antonio, which is a very small market. If the Cavs and Thunder would've faced off in The Finals two years ago, I think it would've had some pretty good ratings because of the matchups: LeBron vs. KD, Kyrie vs. Westbrook.

Also, a certain group of the media feels that Cleveland doesn't deserve a player like LeBron for various reasons. They feel that he's too big for Cleveland, he brought them a title now he should move on, he's wasting his talents in Cleveland, Cleveland isn't glamorous as NY, L.A., Chicago, etc., or they want to be in L.A. or Miami all the time. Most of the national media are people from the coastal cities or Chicago and are only bias for their cities. A lot of them didn't want him to go back to Cleveland. They were hoping he stayed in Miami. They feel only star players should play in big cities. I say a star player should be able shine based on his talent, not the city they play in.
Do you remember how excited the national media was when Lebron took his talents to South Beach? And how they made fun of Cleveland saying Lebron just wanted to be in a city that doesn't suck and blah blah blah. Even comedians making fun of Cleveland, especially about how people in Cleveland must not have anything better to do then burn Lebron's jersey, ect.

And I've told people time and time again, Lebron did not go to Miami because he hates Cleveland and wanted to hang out on South Beach, he travels 41 out of 82 games a year and he has the whole off season to hang out in Miami, that makes no since. Lebron just wanted to play with his buddy's and win rings and D Wade was already in Miami.

But when Lebron left and went back to Cleveland... I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid the media must feel. "Oh no... why would Lebron leave heaven on earth in Miami to go back to Cleveland? our agenda is compromised." Where was all the Miami bashing when Lebron left? where was all the Miami bashing when they were burning Lebron's jersey? The media sure didn't give Cleveland a break for burning his jersey. Oh I forgot, Miami is off limits. The media will just sweep everything under the rug when it comes to Miami lol. And now the main place the media is hyping up for Lebron to go is LA lol.

Last edited by MS313; 08-02-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM

8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Going by the 2010 census it's still above 5,000. But YES this is the point I try to hit home all the time. Detroit has had more issues facing it the last half century and so far this century then any other city. How on earth is Detroit still a top 15 city (really top 11-13 on average)? Now that's what you call a great city imo. The quality of life in Metro Detroit is one of the best when adjusted for COL, there are alot of people without college degrees that are basically living the American dream. Home owner, car owner, take vacations, and able to support 2 or 3 kids and still have alot more money left over to enjoy the big city amenities that you have in other cities. And if you have a college degree in Metro Detroit you can almost guarantee a great QOL, early retirement, great school district, and just about all the toys and amenities near you that you want. It's way too underrated imo.

Actually I think Detroit and Cleveland is more densely populated then Atlanta and Charlotte.

Do you remember how excited the national media was when Lebron took his talents to South Beach? And how they made fun of Cleveland saying Lebron just wanted to be in a city that doesn't suck and blah blah blah. Even comedians making fun of Cleveland, especially about how people in Cleveland must not have anything better to do then burn Lebron's jersey, ect.

And I've told people time and time again, Lebron did not go to Miami because he hates Cleveland and wanted to hang out on South Beach, he travels 41 out of 82 games a year and he has the whole off season to hang out in Miami, that makes no since. Lebron just wanted to play with his buddy's and win rings and D Wade was already in Miami.

But when Lebron left and went back to Cleveland... I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid the media must feel. "Oh no... why would Lebron leave heaven on earth in Miami to go back to Cleveland? our agenda is compromised." Where was all the Miami bashing when Lebron left? where was all the Miami bashing when they were burning Lebron's jersey? The media sure didn't give Cleveland a break for burning his jersey. Oh I forgot, Miami is off limits. The media will just sweep everything under the rug when it comes to Miami lol.
The difference in Density of Cleveland and Atlanta is not that huge as of 2016 4,965 vs 3,553. Atlanta also has a similar transit ride share as Cleveland, with Atlanta being slightly higher. Detroit has a Density almost equal to Cleveland and has a transit rideshare much smaller than that of Atlanta's.

And if I recall During that whole Lebron thing, Lebron's image took a hit moreso than Cleveland, people hated him for abandoning a place to go ring chasing. But that isn't what this thread is about, its about Rust Belt Cities being perceived as more dense and urban than they really are.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:10 PM

987 posts, read 489,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

But when Lebron left and went back to Cleveland... I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid the media must feel. "Oh no... why would Lebron leave heaven on earth in Miami to go back to Cleveland? our agenda is compromised." Where was all the Miami bashing when Lebron left? where was all the Miami bashing when they were burning Lebron's jersey? The media sure didn't give Cleveland a break for burning his jersey. Oh I forgot, Miami is off limits. The media will just sweep everything under the rug when it comes to Miami lol.

Oh, I definitely remembered how excited the national media was when LBJ went to Miami. They were happier than a fat cake getting a piece of cake. A lot of media members want to project that own biases on to players, so they were happy that they were going to be in South Beach instead of Cleveland, and that they were gonna hang out in Miami. I also remember how they went after Cleveland when he burned his jersey (which I didn't condone); they made it as if the whole city burned his jersey. Still remember a lot of the jokes that the comedians made at the time too: D.L. Hughley, Rob Riggle, Gary Owen, who's from Cincinnati, ("I've been to Cleveland and I've been to Miami, not a tough decision. That's like asking who'd you rather f*#k Beyonce or Precious?").

A lot of people fail to realize that he travels 41 times out of 82 games plus playoffs. So, he couldn't hang out in South Beach that much, and in the offseason LeBron still went back to Ohio. When his free agency came up, the media was hoping that he would either re-sign with the Heat or go to a big market; most of them didn't even mention Cleveland. According to them, you don't leave Miami to go back to Cleveland for any reason that's a step down, they're really saying I don't wanna have to go cover him in Cleveland again especially during The Finals in June.

Then when he went back they said he'll never win one title in Cleveland. Now, that he has won a title in Cleveland, now they're saying he should move on to L.A. so the league will be revived again with the Lakers being good. They weren't saying that he should go back to Cleveland after winning his 1st title in Miami. Miami gets a pass because not only it's a Sunbelt city, but it's a Sunbelt city with glamour, beaches, nightlife and celebs even though they have high poverty. Cleveland is looked at as rusty, broke and maligned constantly by the media and comics. They feel Miami and cities like it deserves nice things while Cleveland and Legacy cities doesn't deserve nice things.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM

3,626 posts, read 4,346,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Oh, I definitely remembered how excited the national media was when LBJ went to Miami. They were happier than a fat cake getting a piece of cake. A lot of media members want to project that own biases on to players, so they were happy that they were going to be in South Beach instead of Cleveland, and that they were gonna hang out in Miami. I also remember how they went after Cleveland when he burned his jersey (which I didn't condone); they made it as if the whole city burned his jersey. Still remember a lot of the jokes that the comedians made at the time too: D.L. Hughley, Rob Riggle, Gary Owen, who's from Cincinnati, ("I've been to Cleveland and I've been to Miami, not a tough decision. That's like asking who'd you rather f*#k Beyonce or Precious?").

A lot of people fail to realize that he travels 41 times out of 82 games plus playoffs. So, he couldn't hang out in South Beach that much, and in the offseason LeBron still went back to Ohio. When his free agency came up, the media was hoping that he would either re-sign with the Heat or go to a big market; most of them didn't even mention Cleveland. According to them, you don't leave Miami to go back to Cleveland for any reason that's a step down, they're really saying I don't wanna have to go cover him in Cleveland again especially during The Finals in June.

Then when he went back they said he'll never win one title in Cleveland. Now, that he has won a title in Cleveland, now they're saying he should move on to L.A. so the league will be revived again with the Lakers being good. They weren't saying that he should go back to Cleveland after winning his 1st title in Miami. Miami gets a pass because not only it's a Sunbelt city, but it's a Sunbelt city with glamour, beaches, nightlife and celebs even though they have high poverty. Cleveland is looked at as rusty, broke and maligned constantly by the media and comics. They feel Miami and cities like it deserves nice things while Cleveland and Legacy cities doesn't deserve nice things.
Yea I definitely remember that. This was back when the media was still obsessed with trying to humiliate Detroit every chance it got. And for a while it got so bad to the point where people from Detroit had to be prepared to argue with people in other states everytime they mentioned Detroit. I started to feel sorry for Cleveland because of the disrespect it was getting, until Cleveland said "at least were not Detroit" lol. But fr, I had no idea Cleveland was supposed to be such a bad place to live until then. But you gave them more of the benefit of the doubt then I did. I just chalked it up as the media being typical coast huggers and midwest haters. As for the comedians, isn't it a pretty dumb idea to trash a city that has been paying you a great deal of money to see your perform for years?

And yea of course now the Lebron's contract will be up, the main city they have been talking about was LA. They swear up and down he wants to leave Cleveland, they're almost begging him to leave or acting like the decision is already made. I mean damn, let Lebron live his life, Obviously he doesn't think Cleveland is that horrible of a city.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:29 PM

52,619 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The difference in Density of Cleveland and Atlanta is not that huge as of 2016 4,965 vs 3,553. Atlanta also has a similar transit ride share as Cleveland, with Atlanta being slightly higher. Detroit has a Density almost equal to Cleveland and has a transit rideshare much smaller than that of Atlanta's.

And if I recall During that whole Lebron thing, Lebron's image took a hit moreso than Cleveland, people hated him for abandoning a place to go ring chasing. But that isn't what this thread is about, its about Rust Belt Cities being perceived as more dense and urban than they really are.
Is the transit ride share for the cities or metro areas?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:35 PM

8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is the transit ride share for the cities or metro areas?
Metro Atlanta is 174,000,000/year on Marta in a metro of 5.8 million and Cleveland is 47 million on the RTA for a metro of 2 million. Unless I'm missing a major secondary agency Atlanta has more transit usage per capita than Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or