U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM

2,810 posts, read 2,805,108 times

Advertisements

I was visiting in Norfolk, Va. (had not been there in some years), and I felt like I was downtown in Charleston, Sc!

Similar seaports, but what are the glaring differences. Both, are closely boarded by beaches, and the coast. Both have Universities in the cities. Both have plenty of seafood restaurants. Both have history.
I like both cities, but what are the differences?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:19 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Wait...downtown Norfolk feels like downtown Charleston to you???? That's a first.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:26 PM

Yes Sir, it did. Streets, lighting, design. Same set up. Older buildings. The Custom House. Restaurants. The Harbor. Waterside. I'm not one that cares much about charm. It appeared similar.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Yes Sir, it did. Streets, lighting, design. Same set up. Older buildings. The Custom House. Restaurants. The Harbor. Waterside. I'm not one that cares much about charm. It appeared similar.
Downtown Norfolk is a business center with office highrises, a mall, and light rail. Downtown Charleston has none of those things and has a ton more preserved historic buildings, street-level retail, and tourists. I'm not saying they are complete opposites--after all, they are both historic Southern port cities--but they certainly do not feel alike to me. Now had you said Olde Towne Portsmouth, I could see that somewhat.

Other differences are Norfolk is obviously bigger, being part of a larger metropolitan area and its economy is more military-driven. Charleston is growing a lot faster, both in terms of population and the economy. It has a much more notable profile when it comes to cuisine and the arts. Those are just a couple off the top of my head.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:45 AM

Thanks Mutiny. It appears Norfolk is years ahead of Charleston in development......A light rail?! Charleston can't even get a good bus system working....

Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mutiny. It appears Norfolk is years ahead of Charleston in development......A light rail?! Charleston can't even get a good bus system working....
Norfolk's metropolitan area consists of six other cities and is twice the size of Charleston's, so they have the population to support light rail. Other than that, I wouldn't say that Norfolk is years ahead of Charleston in development as Charleston is growing a lot faster than Norfolk with lots of projects to show for it, both in downtown and in the surrounding area. Obviously Norfolk is bigger, but Charleston has significantly more momentum right now on almost all fronts.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 AM

3,320 posts, read 2,241,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Norfolk's metropolitan area consists of six other cities and is twice the size of Charleston's, so they have the population to support light rail. Other than that, I wouldn't say that Norfolk is years ahead of Charleston in development as Charleston is growing a lot faster than Norfolk with lots of projects to show for it, both in downtown and in the surrounding area. Obviously Norfolk is bigger, but Charleston has significantly more momentum right now on almost all fronts.
I'd agree with this. I will say there is a surprising amount of construction here for a city that really isn't growing fast at all. Downtown has opened some big construction projects the last few months (still haven't made it to The Main yet!), Ocean View, Military Circle/Janaf...there really is a surprising amount of construction, and yet compared to most places, nobody is moving here...

I currently reside exactly 0.5 miles from the Newtown Tide station. I can tell you it isn't the other cities that are supporting light rail here. You may have a few straphangers driving in from Virginia Beach, and maybe Chesapeake at parts, but The Tide is probably 95% driven by citizens and workers of Norfolk City. The park and ride lots here are only half as full as the park and rides you see at Lynx stations in South Charlotte. There is weekly chatter, it seems, of Tide extensions but who knows when, if ever, those extensions become reality. I think extending the Tide is necessary but you also have to find a way to entice more people to use it. I haven't seen a full train yet, though I'll allow I haven't been here long enough or ridden on event nights...

When people say "Norfolk" or "Virginia Beach", what they really mean is the Southside, population approximately 1.194 million. The Peninsula is it's own world. Yes, the region as a whole contains regional similarities and there is plenty of cross flow between the two, but they largely function separately rather than jointly, and just grew together over time for natural reasons. I have to be in Hampton this afternoon, not looking forward to it lol...

Anyway, while Norfolk is larger than Charleston, it isn't so much as large as it's MSA suggests....

What neighborhoods does Charleston have comparable to Ghent, Park Place, Riverview, Bay View, Ocean View, Larchmont, ODU?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 AM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times
Quote:
The CARTA actually isn't that bad, especially the express buses that had comfortable seats.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 AM

76 posts, read 42,389 times
Quote:
I was visiting in Norfolk, Va. (had not been there in some years), and I felt like I was downtown in Charleston, Sc!

Similar seaports, but what are the glaring differences. Both, are closely boarded by beaches, and the coast. Both have Universities in the cities. Both have plenty of seafood restaurants. Both have history.
I like both cities, but what are the differences?
Are you sure you weren't lost? Those "downtowns" look and feel pretty different. Like someone else said Portsmouth is probably more like Charleston. Norfolk downtown is mostly glass office buildings and bland corporate buildings. Charleston downtown peninsula is peppered with church steeples and Old South houses and buildings that feel similar to New Orleans.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'd agree with this. I will say there is a surprising amount of construction here for a city that really isn't growing fast at all. Downtown has opened some big construction projects the last few months (still haven't made it to The Main yet!), Ocean View, Military Circle/Janaf...there really is a surprising amount of construction, and yet compared to most places, nobody is moving here...

I currently reside exactly 0.5 miles from the Newtown Tide station. I can tell you it isn't the other cities that are supporting light rail here. You may have a few straphangers driving in from Virginia Beach, and maybe Chesapeake at parts, but The Tide is probably 95% driven by citizens and workers of Norfolk City. The park and ride lots here are only half as full as the park and rides you see at Lynx stations in South Charlotte. There is weekly chatter, it seems, of Tide extensions but who knows when, if ever, those extensions become reality. I think extending the Tide is necessary but you also have to find a way to entice more people to use it. I haven't seen a full train yet, though I'll allow I haven't been here long enough or ridden on event nights...

When people say "Norfolk" or "Virginia Beach", what they really mean is the Southside, population approximately 1.194 million. The Peninsula is it's own world. Yes, the region as a whole contains regional similarities and there is plenty of cross flow between the two, but they largely function separately rather than jointly, and just grew together over time for natural reasons. I have to be in Hampton this afternoon, not looking forward to it lol...

Anyway, while Norfolk is larger than Charleston, it isn't so much as large as it's MSA suggests....

What neighborhoods does Charleston have comparable to Ghent, Park Place, Riverview, Bay View, Ocean View, Larchmont, ODU?

Several neighborhoods downtown Charleston are comparable near the Battery. Very expensive homes downtown, very nice, on the Harbor.

Just like Norfolk, there are places under the Bridge on East Bay and nearby areas that are unsafe, and not fit for walking around at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or