U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:08 PM

720 posts, read 658,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
To throw in one of those SAT analogies:

Broken Arrow:West Des Moines :: Mission Hills:Ladue

Ladue is the toniest suburb of the city of St. Louis. I would put Kansas City and St. Louis in the same tier of metropolises now; where metro St. Louis was once twice Greater Kansas City's size, that gap has shrunk to about 600,000 and continues to close.

Edited to add in support of your observation: Oklahoma City doesn't really have a suburb along the lines of West Des Moines or Broken Arrow, at least not as far as I could tell passing through it.
I think that would be Edmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,455,138 times
As a born-and-raised (geographically) Southern Oklahoman (Norman and mostly Ardmore) and now a Native of OKC, I get a bit of satisfaction knowing that the high-toners from Tulsa can't get accepted by those in the real Midwest. Sorry Tulsans, you're too geographically far south, you have too many southern tendencies, and much to your own chagrin you're not that much different overall culturally from the Southwest/Southern Plains culture of Oklahoma City. I really think this discussion happens only on City-Data because I have never heard such things from lifelong Tulsans. Never. Ever been to Muskogee? Supulpa? Claremore? Sand Springs?...listen to the accent in many from these towns and get back to me. All towns which are mere minutes from Tulsa. It's just hard to believe that this enclave called Tulsa retained in almost 200 square miles is exceedingly different than most of the towns (not speaking of the Burbs) surrounding it. Odd.

My extended family (life-long Tulsans/Owasso) would never claim that they are that much different than the people from Oklahoma City or the rest of the people from Oklahoma, especially in terms of culture. Our speech patterns are the same. We are both highly Evangelically populated cities/areas and we cheer for the Sooners!---the only team able to represent the Southwest Region for the last decade with any sort of street cred and football reputation (sorry shorthorns)! I have family in Tulsa and see them every other month. It is nothing like Des Moines culturally or other tried and true Midwest cities no matter how hard the families of the ol' Yankee oil barons want it to be. For whatever reason (which is odd to me) there are Midwest folks wanting to claim Tulsa. Just weird to me as an Okie. I do not know of anyone wanting to disavow the association that Oklahoma/Texas have with the Plains culture, it's just a much more Southern and westernized version of it.

Are we going to question NW Arkansas' regional identity now? That's essentially what you would have to do since Tulsa/T-Town is the primary epicenter of culture, business, trade outside of Springdale and Fayettville and Fort Smith.

I wholeheartedly agree that anyone wanting to claim that Oklahoma is on par culturally with the Deep South states needs to have their head checked---I sure don't. I'm very happy and proud to be an Okie and I celebrate our brand of the Southwest---it's just a much more rowdier, louder, and grittier version than the eastern iteration of the South. (Who wants to be one of those weak and genteel Southern gentlemen when you can just be an Okie?...I'll concede that texans are all bark and no bite, all hat and no cattle.) It's SOUTHwest (a chunk of central Tejas, western Arkansas, and the vast majority of Oklahoma) not SouthWEST like New Mexico and Arizona.

I have to side with GraniteStater on this one. Folks from the tried&true Midwest know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Tulsa isn't among its fold. We're our own kinda deal here in Oklahoma...a very strongly westernized version of the South...a watered down version; and, for the vast majority of us (except a few interesting dissenting opinions on CityData notwithstanding) we're good with it.

Oklahoma is just OKLAHOMA. Sorry we can't be a part of the Midwest for all those who want to claim it.

Sincerely,

B&C & The Vast Majority of Oklahomans

By the way, for the guy that mentioned MWC "Midwest City" Oklahoma...two things:
1) Midwest City was named by the American Military (originally the Midwest Depot...just wanted an installation in the middle of the country...hence, not named by Okies)
2) this guy is the pride and born and raised joy of Midwest City, Oklahoma...does he sound like someone from the Midwest? The Mullet Rules...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FA3BcMa4rc

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

21,542 posts, read 15,822,371 times
KC itself has much more going on. It's at the confluence of regions in a way Omaha isn't. Tulsa is too small and is on a different comparison area.

Old Today, 06:13 AM

3,907 posts, read 4,348,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Okay, but you also have to remember that it's probably more like Memphis, Nashville or Atlanta, than Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis....all also in the Midwest.
Those are the 3 Midwestern cities I am most familiar with. I was born in Milwaukee and spent much time in Chicago and the Twin Cities. 10 years ago I spent a few days in Tulsa. I really liked it but it totally seemed southern to me and did not remind me of the Midwest at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or