U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:30 AM

52,631 posts, read 75,477,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Syracuse I think gets more snow than just about any decently sized (above 200K) metro area in the US.

On the plus side, it did pretty well in it's early days, and is a university town. Thus, my venture is that it would be significantly more walkable/bikeable, and have better amenities for fans of sports and arts/culture than most similarly sized (700K) person metro areas.

It also has a pretty decent park system and scenery around it from what I understand, and it's location isn't half bad (in regard to nature: Around an hour to Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes/Gorges of Ithaca, 3-4 hrs. from the Adirondack High Peaks and the Atlantic Coast, and in regard to cities: Within 5 hrs. of New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and a handful of other cities).

It's one of the cheapest places to live in the US, yet still has a number of very safe suburbs with good school systems.

I'm not sure I'd pick it over Atlanta either, but you could certainly do worse.
Basically and for a top 100 metro, it is actually one of the safest in terms of crime. It is a very culturally diverse city proper as well(some in select suburban areas), with a decent and growing food scene.

As a city, it was a top 50 city in population for about the first 60 years of the 20th century and hasn't annexed any land since 1936(only 25 square miles and why it's population density is actually higher than Atlanta's).

Even the snow comes from parts of the metro north of the city near Lake Ontario and the average snowfall decreases further south.

I agree, it isn't winning this, but it isn't the worst area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Syracuse I think gets more snow than just about any decently sized (above 200K) metro area in the US.

On the plus side, it did pretty well in it's early days, and is a university town. Thus, my venture is that it would be significantly more walkable/bikeable, and have better amenities for fans of sports and arts/culture than most similarly sized (700K) person metro areas.

It also has a pretty decent park system and scenery around it from what I understand, and it's location isn't half bad (in regard to nature: Around an hour to Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes/Gorges of Ithaca, 3-4 hrs. from the Adirondack High Peaks and the Atlantic Coast, and in regard to cities: Within 5 hrs. of New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and a handful of other cities).

It's one of the cheapest places to live in the US, yet still has a number of very safe suburbs with good school systems.

I'm not sure I'd pick it over Atlanta either, but you could certainly do worse.
I was thinking in this regard, say if someone from the Atlanta area were to move to the Syracuse area and wanted that type of area, I'd say that this school district would work: Jamesville Dewitt School District

I say that due to being a first ring suburb right next to Syracuse, its proximity to hospitals/colleges, has its share of shopping and it is a relatively diverse district that is high achieving academically. It is also where you can find quite a few people affiliated with the colleges/universities. This adjacent SD to the east is similar(not as diverse) and is one of the best(top 3 in many publications) and most affluent in Upstate NY: Fayetteville-Manlius Schools

What would be an equivalent suburban area in the Atlanta area?

These 2 would be a couple of others for similar reasons, but without the college/university aspect and both have walkable villages within them: Home Liverpool Central School District

North Syracuse Central School District

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking in this regard, say if someone from the Atlanta area were to move to the Syracuse area and wanted that type of area, I'd say that this school district would work: Jamesville Dewitt School District

I say that due to being a first ring suburb right next to Syracuse, its proximity to hospitals/colleges, has its share of shopping and it is a relatively diverse district that is high achieving academically. It is also where you can find quite a few people affiliated with the colleges/universities. This adjacent SD to the east is similar(not as diverse) and is one of the best(top 3 in many publications) and most affluent in Upstate NY: Fayetteville-Manlius Schools

These 2 would be a couple of others for similar reasons, but without the college/university aspect and both have walkable villages within them: Home Liverpool Central School District

Decatur

Old 07-23-2017, 03:15 PM

2,276 posts, read 925,357 times
As others have pointed out, the two cities are not really in the same size class.

Personally, it is Syracuse hands down for me. You get all four seasons living there, the traffic is reasonable, and there are many good school districts in the area. There are activities around the area and it's not far from other attractions.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Decatur
Thanks....What is interesting is that both have roughly the same median household income($77,202 for Decatur and $77,430 for J-D according to 2010-2014 census info.), but Decatur's median home price is almost double for that same period. It was $350,400 for Decatur City SD and $188,600 for Jamesville-DeWitt.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-23-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks....What is interesting is that both have roughly the same median household income($77,202 for Decatur and $77,430 for J-D according to 2010-2014 census info.), but Decatur's median home price is almost double for that same period. It was $350,400 for Decatur City SD and $188,600 for Jamesville-DeWitt.
Another thing I noticed is that the black median household income in Decatur is lower that I expected($16,045 for the same period). Is that true? I only ask given other parts of DeKalb County and that all other groups appear to be at least middle class.

For Jamesville-DeWitt, all groups would be well within the range of middle class(including a $71,276 black median household income).

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Wow......Anyway, this may be another suburban/rural SD that comes to mind: Onondaga Central School District

Some alumni: Latavius Murray, RB for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com

David Muir - ABC News

Indiana Hoosiers - 2017 Football Coaching Staff

Some alumni from North Syracuse: Patrick Corbin Stats, Fantasy & News | MLB.com

Tyvon Branch, DB for the Arizona Cardinals at NFL.com

Breanna Stewart - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Beth Mowins - ESPN MediaZone

Richard Gere - IMDb

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Curtis Johnson

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-24-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM

11,258 posts, read 5,755,032 times
Even ignoring the other factors, I think that Syracuse's awful climate is enough to disqualify it against Atlanta

Last edited by JMT; 07-24-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Even ignoring the other factors, I think that Syracuse's awful climate is enough to disqualify it against Atlanta
It may come down to if a person likes 4 seasons and particularly Fall and Winter. So, that may be subjective for some.

Last edited by JMT; 07-24-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 AM

11,258 posts, read 5,755,032 times
Quote:
It may come down to if a person likes 4 seasons and particularly Fall and Winter. So, that may be subjective for some.
Atlanta gets cold enough in the winter for me. It's not a perfect climate, but a massive improvement over Syracuse. I never want to experience Upstate New York from November to April ever again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or