U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 AM

52,671 posts, read 75,524,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I grew up in that climate, and I do not miss it. Some people like winter with a lot of snow, but most people don't. My father consistently stretches the truth about how much snow or rain they get. Last winter, he said they got almost no snow; but when looking at the professionally, scientifically measured snowfall totals for the season, it wasn't far off of the 100 year average. When I mentioned it, he said, "gee, they must have measured every snowflake." I replied, "yeah, that's how you measure."

I think a lot of it has to do with the avoidance of depression.
I wonder if this goes back to what I mentioned about snowfall totals varying within an area. Here's a map that illustrates this: http://blogs.agu.org/magmacumlaude/f...2/12/nsAnn.png

Or this map: News 8 Weather Blog: NY STATE ANNUAL SNOWFALL MAP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 AM

3,096 posts, read 2,406,032 times
Syracuse loses relevancy every day of its continued existence. Atlanta by a mile.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,733,220 times
Totally get the points about how winter is in that part of NY. It's not the normal comparison made between the northeast and southeast, it's on a whole other level in the cities near Lake Erie. It's even jarring for people from other parts of New York.

For example, one of the main reasons that drove my parents (whom are NYC natives) to move South was one winter in Rome, NY which is not too far from Syracuse. After over 100 inches of snow they resolved to never deal with that sort of thing ever again.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 AM

5,147 posts, read 4,991,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if this goes back to what I mentioned about snowfall totals varying within an area. Here's a map that illustrates this: http://blogs.agu.org/magmacumlaude/f...2/12/nsAnn.png

Or this map: News 8 Weather Blog: NY STATE ANNUAL SNOWFALL MAP
Well, that is always a variable. However, my father is closer to the lake than Rochester, meaning he's in a higher band of snow. My mother typically denounces his weather reporting as well. But he loves living there and she hates it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Totally get the points about how winter is in that part of NY. It's not the normal comparison made between the northeast and southeast, it's on a whole other level in the cities near Lake Erie. It's even jarring for people from other parts of New York.

For example, one of the main reasons that drove my parents (whom are NYC natives) to move South was one winter in Rome, NY which is not too far from Syracuse. After over 100 inches of snow they resolved to never deal with that sort of thing ever again.
Yeah, you can be as close as Binghamton and be surprised at how much snow towns 20 mins north get. It's all about lake effect, and that part of NYS gets so much more than Lake Erie towns/cities (except Buffalo) because Lake Erie is so shallow and freezes. Ontario rarely freezes.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

What were they doing in Rome? Unless it was when the Air Force base was open. They usually get less snow due to being further east of the lake, but they can get some higher totals.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you can be as close as Binghamton and be surprised at how much snow towns 20 mins north get. It's all about lake effect, and that part of NYS gets so much more than Lake Erie towns/cities (except Buffalo) because Lake Erie is so shallow and freezes. Ontario rarely freezes.
Actually, the Southtowns of Buffalo near Lake Erie can rival the snowfall totals in Oswego County(the part of the Syracuse metro that gets hit the hardest). Last winter, in rural parts of Oswego County, they got hit with ridiculous amounts of snow when the immediate Syracuse area may get an inch.

I was stationed at Fort Drum near Watertown and would drive back and forth many times. You could literally drive from Syracuse and it is crystal clear then you get to say Pulaski or Adams and can hit a wall of snowfall. That is only a 35-40 minute drive on I-81. So, things can change that quick.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Actually, the Southtowns of Buffalo near Lake Erie can rival the snowfall totals in Oswego County(the part of the Syracuse metro that gets hit the hardest). Last winter, in rural parts of Oswego County, they got hit with ridiculous amounts of snow when the immediate Syracuse area may get an inch.

I was stationed at Fort Drum near Watertown and would drive back and forth many times. You could literally drive from Syracuse and it is crystal clear then you get to say Pulaski or Adams and can hit a wall of snowfall. That is only a 35-40 minute drive on I-81. So, things can change that quick.
I was including the Southtowns in my "Except Buffalo" statement. Buffalo and its Southtowns get hit by big storms traditionally, adding up rapid amounts of snowfall early in the season. Once Erie freezes, they get much less snow. The rest of Western NY that's closer to Ontario tend to get constant snowfall, catching up and passing most of Buffalo throughout the rest of the season. Of course, there are exceptions all over the place.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I was including the Southtowns in my "Except Buffalo" statement. Buffalo and its Southtowns get hit by big storms traditionally, adding up rapid amounts of snowfall early in the season. Once Erie freezes, they get much less snow. The rest of Western NY that's closer to Ontario tend to get constant snowfall, catching up and passing most of Buffalo throughout the rest of the season. Of course, there are exceptions all over the place.
Niagara County averages maybe 50-70 inches of snow. So, while they may get snowfall through the winter, it is much lower than areas further south. When that area got hit with that major storm a few years ago, areas to the north didn't much snow at all.

To bring in back to the thread, essentially the further away from the lake in the Syracuse metro, the lower the average annual snowfall. Snowfall Map of Greater Syracuse Area

Old 07-25-2017, 01:27 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,733,220 times
Quote:
What were they doing in Rome? Unless it was when the Air Force base was open. They usually get less snow due to being further east of the lake, but they can get some higher totals.
Yeah, that was it. My dad was stationed there back in the 70s. I'm old. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or