U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM

52,618 posts, read 75,426,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, that was it. My dad was stationed there back in the 70s. I'm old. LOL
Did you go to RFA? He may have been there when this actor was there: Tim Russ - IMDb

Alex Haley lived there at one time as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 AM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Ck is really romanticizing Syracuse and New York winters in here lol. I love Upstate New York....but the winters are horrible...

Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 AM

4,642 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, you can be as close as Binghamton and be surprised at how much snow towns 20 mins north get.
Mmmm, Binghamton always makes me think of delicous Spiedie's. I should open a Spiedie place in Atlanta, I could make a fortune.

We actually have Salamida's sauce at Kroger's & Publix now.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Ck is really romanticizing Syracuse and New York winters in here lol. I love Upstate New York....but the winters are horrible...
Not romanticize them, but explaining how much snowfall can vary in an area and what people do during the winter. You are going to get snow for sure, but every part of an area doesn't get the same amount.

Some may not like the heat of Atlanta's late Springs/Summers, but can deal with them. No biggie.....Same with its traffic or other aspects and vice versa.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-26-2017 at 05:07 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 AM

4,642 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some may not like the heat of Atlanta's late Springs/Summers, but can deal with them. No biggie.....Same with its traffic or other aspects and vice versa.
People don't realize that it just isn't as hot here as the Coastal and many other parts of the South due to our elevation. Being 1,000+ feet above sea level makes a difference, and we get breaks in the heat and humidity often. We had our windows open and the A/C off until the middle of June this year, with the exception of a few days in late May. That's certainly not typical, but it happens.

It's been hotter in D.C. than here for the past 2 weeks as an example.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
People don't realize that it just isn't as hot here as the Coastal and many other parts of the South due to our elevation. Being 1,000+ feet above sea level makes a difference, and we get breaks in the heat and humidity often. We had our windows open and the A/C off until the middle of June this year, with the exception of a few days in late May. That's certainly not typical, but it happens.

It's been hotter in D.C. than here for the past 2 weeks as an example.
Thank you for that information, as there may be some little weather intricacies that people may or may not know about in regards to an area.

It still may be hot depending on what one is use to during those seasons, but I can understand that it isn't consistently that way.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-26-2017 at 07:37 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 12:00 PM

975 posts, read 806,925 times
Quote:
Thank you for that information, as there may be some little weather intricacies that people may or may not know about in regards to an area.

It still may be hot depending on what one is use to during those seasons, but I can understand that it isn't consistently that way.
I've lived in Atlanta for several years and grew up in Western New York (Buffalo). For me, summers in Atlanta are rough. It's just so consistently uncomfortable and muggy compared to what I'm used to. I checked stats on Accuweather's site & it looks like summers in Atlanta are comparable to D.C., but Atlanta's July/August high temps average 1 degree or so warmer than D.C.

As JMatl mentioned, we did get comfortable temps in much of June this year (a pleasant surprise after a warmer-than-average early spring) and the forecast is for high temps in the mid-80s this weekend - another unusual break from the hot weather.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I was thinking in this regard, say if someone from the Atlanta area were to move to the Syracuse area and wanted that type of area, I'd say that this school district would work: Jamesville Dewitt School District

I say that due to being a first ring suburb right next to Syracuse, its proximity to hospitals/colleges, has its share of shopping and it is a relatively diverse district that is high achieving academically. It is also where you can find quite a few people affiliated with the colleges/universities. This adjacent SD to the east is similar(not as diverse) and is one of the best(top 3 in many publications) and most affluent in Upstate NY: Fayetteville-Manlius Schools

What would be an equivalent suburban area in the Atlanta area?

These 2 would be a couple of others for similar reasons, but without the college/university aspect and both have walkable villages within them: Home Liverpool Central School District

North Syracuse Central School District
Another school district that comes to mind in the eastern suburbs as well: ESM School District

For those interested, a couple of churches in the area that would probably appeal to someone that would move from Atlanta or a similar area: Vision | Abundant Life (a diverse mega church)

https://www.facebook.com/ThePromiseLandChurch/

Some other good suburban districts: Westhill School District

West Genesee School District - Camillus, NY

Baldwinsville Central School District

There are others as well....

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-27-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 09:31 AM

27,715 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
I know what he is saying as well, but on the flipside you do see similar sized areas in the Southeast win polls when compared to similarly sized Rust Belt/Northern areas. When Syracuse(and Albany) were compared to Charleston and Columbia, the latter had more votes. When I revived the Greensboro vs. Syracuse thread, Syracuse had 5 more votes, but Greensboro ended up pulling away. I bet the same thing would occur if those areas were compared to say Springfield and Worcester in MA or if Syracuse was compared to Knoxville or Chattanooga. So, I don't know if similar mid sized/smaller metros in the South wouldn't get similar results.

Also, I think people don't realize that Syracuse is more in line with an area like Winston-Salem and the other Southern areas than Asheville. If it was the same metro as it was before the 2010 census, it would be about 75th or so in metro population, but it lost Cayuga County in 2010 and another adjacent county is in the Ithaca CSA(Cartland County).

It also isn't a college town, but a "legacy" city with a college town section/area of town.

BTW-It doesn't take long to post this.
From my perspective, since the major cities tend to take most of the shine on this forum, people like to take advantage of the opportunity to extol the virtues of smaller cities like Syracuse. I don't really see much pro-Northern/anti-Southern bias when it comes to the smaller cities myself.

And I know it didn't take long to post that; that response didn't contain lots of Streetview links.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From my perspective, since the major cities tend to take most of the shine on this forum, people like to take advantage of the opportunity to extol the virtues of smaller cities like Syracuse. I don't really see much pro-Northern/anti-Southern bias when it comes to the smaller cities myself.

And I know it didn't take long to post that; that response didn't contain lots of Streetview links.
Basically why I even go "all out" with information about the mid sized/smaller cities. Especially given how people on here will ask for places that are urban and affordable. Instead of necessarily looking at the top 25 metros, roughly metros 25-100 are going to or may be a better fit in that regard with enough to do.

Some other churches, btw: Southern Missionary Baptist Church - www.smbcsyr.org

New Hope Missionary Baptist Church

https://m.facebook.com/pages/The-Liv...11535035552980

Home - Believers' Chapel - Welcome

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Bethany...45449605490686

Welcome - People's AME Zion Church

https://www.cbcsyr.org

There are others and this doesn't include the initial groups which are here.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-27-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or