U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 PM

38 posts, read 31,414 times

Advertisements

Pretty self-explanatory. Which system do you think is overall better when considering expansiveness, timeliness, reliability, cleanliness, etc?

I've been a New Yorker for most of my life, and of course one thing that a lot of people often bring up about the city is our transit system. It's definitely the most well-known in the nation, but I think that gives people the wrong idea that it's the "best." Honestly, the only thing about the NYC transit system that I think it has going for it is simply its size. There is hardly a place within the 5 boroughs that can't be reached (or nearly reached) with a subway and/or bus ride.

However, delays of some sort are a daily problem on many routes, the subway is pretty filthy when compared to any other system I've been in (domestic or abroad), and in general the infrastructure and design is outdated, not to mention that the fares are going up while the service is worse than I can ever recall.

About a month ago, I visited some friends in L.A, and since they didn't have a car, we used the subway, light rail, and buses to get everywhere, and in general I was fairly impressed. In addition to being cheaper, the subway was much cleaner, we didn't experience a single delay on any ride, and the available routes actually served us quite well. The only aspect of it that I found a bit odd was the way the buses are identified, since they not only have a number but belong to different "branches" of the metro system, so some buses with different routes can have the same number but use differently marked buses. At least, that's the impression I got.

However, I will concede that I was only there for 4 days, so I'd be interested to hear about people with long-standing experience with both systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:47 AM

2,201 posts, read 4,001,025 times
NYC by a million.

LA's mass transit has improved light years from what it used to be, but it's nowhere near comparable to NYC's. At all.

The Metro Subway in LA IS actually pretty clean and runs relatively smoothly, but it doesn't have the hours of NYC and it's also far less extensive. I have to walk 30 min from my apartment (and I live in an extremely desirable area) to get to the nearest subway stop.

LA does have a very good bus system though, and it covers most major streets. The only challenge is how the city is naturally decentralized and spread out - so unless you live relatively close to where you work or within a straight line of a major street, you'd have to make at least one big transfer.

LA is not as much of a public transportation city as NYC.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:51 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,066,098 times
In terms of the subway:
The smaller a subway system is, the easier it is to manage. When your subway system is that small, the very least you can expect is decent service.

When this is the whole subway system:
https://media.metro.net/riding_metro...images/802.pdf

Compared to this:
http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

There's no reason for LA subway to have all the bull****ery that happens to the NYC subway. Train traffic should not be a thing at all, and delays + switch problems should be extremely rare. That's the very least to expect.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times
NYC by far, and yet only by default.

L.A. is rapidly improving, but has literally another 3-4 decades before it can be on the same level as NYC's system. Yet, I say by default for not only the reason that NYC's system is expansive, but also for the reason that NYC's system is horribly filthy, rat-ladened, and not what I'd call a showpiece public transport system for the world to see.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM

11,411 posts, read 13,955,986 times
NYC, by far. No question. LA is improving, though, but a "car centric" mentality pervades the city.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 AM

600 posts, read 529,508 times
OP made some decent points in the post, NYC does have a lot of ways it can improve. But I'm still giving this to NYC.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 AM

149 posts, read 53,665 times
Nyc subway system is probably the best in the world far as 24/7 access and how large it is.

I think Los Angeles is better with light rail & bus transit

Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM

38 posts, read 31,414 times
As if on que, this morning a subway car derailed in NYC.

I definitely understand why people still say that L.A's is behind New York's, but the fact that this sort of thing barely qualifies as news anymore is a big part of why I have lost a lot of respect for the New York metro system.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM

15,682 posts, read 3,112,310 times
Nyc

Old 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
This is an idiotic thread.

NYC has like 10 million daily heavy rail passengers. LA has like 150k daily heavy rail passengers.

Yeah, you read about more "incidents" in NYC, because there's like 70x the ridership. It's the same reason there are more subway "incidents" in LA than in Bakersfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or