U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,592,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Chicagoans don't actively discuss Philly in their day to day lives nor hold a unanimous opinion about Philly. I personally think it's my favorite Eastern city. Most other people I know here have little to no knowledge of it. If it ain't New York they don't care sadly. But there certainly isn't some widely held belief about Philly. It's like asking Jews what they think about Jesus.
Umm, who said Chicagoans actively discuss Philly in their day to day lives or hold a unanimous opinion about Philly? Oh, wait, you made the conclusion.

I lived in Chicago; moving to Philly. Person said Philly is the Detroit of the east coast. For some reason you need to make bizarre conclusions about all Chicagoans. Whatever.

Last edited by mjlo; 07-25-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM

12,290 posts, read 10,245,407 times
Though attacked on this thread for my posts, I have gotten a huge amount of rep points. Seems many out there agree with me about this city.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It has more white people.

I heard thru a friend that a visitor from Seattle remarked that he felt like he landed in Nigeria walking around Center City Philly. Philly is a little unique in that the very poor urban hoods are right smack against downtown Philly while in a place like Chicago and now even DC they are further removed.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM

266 posts, read 221,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I heard thru a friend that a visitor from Seattle remarked that he felt like he landed in Nigeria walking around Center City Philly. Philly is a little unique in that the very poor urban hoods are right smack against downtown Philly while in a place like Chicago and now even DC they are further removed.
I see that the old south has raised it's ugly head .

Old 07-25-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
I see that the old south has raised it's ugly head .

Ask the guy from Seattle. I see the pc police are out in force already.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,813,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Just because you don't like an observation, especially one that's true, doesn't mean you can use the ''bait card''!

So, someone says Philly is a larger Newark. Urban blight, crime, and poverty. You don't have to mention ''black people'' when the comparison between Philly and Newark is made, it's there. This is America after all.

How often is the term ''racist'' thrown around when no one mentions race? All the time...so deal with this point. When someone is showing you around esp the post-industrial legacy cities...''this area used to be really nice''...think Austin, South Shore, Roseland, or Lawndale in Chicago for example; or in Philly, ''the homes and architecture in Germantown, this used to be so nice here''....NOBODY MENTIONED RACE either.

I wonder where in Philly these supposed ''west coast clients'' are going that they make the Newark comparison? Let's see, what areas are full of blight, crime, and poverty?

I didn't like the comment/comparison, deal with it.

Also, the ''Philly is the Detroit of the east coast'' (but according to you Philly's not really on the east coast) is true; I was relocating to Philly from Chicago when this comment was made. I also heard someone that visited Philly to relocate say that it was ''too black'' for him so he opted for Pittsburgh. I also heard a black woman on a CTA bus say she doesn't like to go to downtown Chicago because it's ''too white''. Why is this so hard to believe?

After all, we're reminded daily about what a racist country we live in.
Your anecdotes aside I don't really see how you assumed race into what these West Coast clients were thinking. Maybe the reason they said Newark is because they probably had knowledge of Newark and little else on the East Coast. You don't know. But you certainly love assuming others are racist for no reason. Probably because you're one yourself. See how easy that is?

Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,509,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by early90'sbaby View Post
That's pretty funny considering Chicago is much more similar to its fellow Midwestern city sibling Detroit. Talk about throwing stones in a glass house.
Honestly, why another keeps interjecting Chicago is personal. Chicagoans I never heard mock Philly when I lived there. They have their own issues as Philly to understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
In Chicago, I heard Philly called the Detroit of the east coast.
You mention Chicago in how many post already .... we know you had issues living there once and moved. But this is not a city vs city thread. I would have thought it would have been moved to the General US forums too originally? But it wasn't and all these other cities are brought in.

Chicagoans don't need to dog other cities .... Philly or Detroit even they know the crap that can be thrown their way too. I avoided all your Chicago lessening post. They are bringing in another city needlessly for no reason on topic. Even on Chicago's topography and lessening the value of its lakefront? I felt baited. I had to hold myself back.... LOL

Please don't label me Liberal either and my comments, or bring race into your accusations to people who mention the term gentrification as if they mean only White people doing it? Not what I meant either using it and I'm sure others too. Most Philadelphians posting here..... are part of those gentrifying their city and embrace it as Philly's rising again is in a LARGE PART because of this gentrification process. It isn't intended to mean Black and White. I also like my Moderate stand and hate extreme claims on both sides. This is not a political forum either.

Time for this thread to be CLEANED OUT. Including this post. Too many I could reply to. But most off topic anyway....

Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM

1,937 posts, read 1,929,741 times
Probably Chicago and some other cities like Detroit, Flint, and Baltimore have a much worse perception problem than Philly. The reasons being mostly over the top crime rates, urban decay or a combination of both.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:05 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,437,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Nigeria???? NOT even close.... Puleease... Makes no damn sense.., but whatever. I guees you didn't check him for "WHAT YOU HEARD?"

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,509,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Probably Chicago and some other cities like Detroit, Flint, and Baltimore have a much worse perception problem than Philly. The reasons being mostly over the top crime rates, urban decay or a combination of both.
You Dog Philly too and the US in general.

Quote:
Philly is most definitively rustbelt. There are plenty of old abandoned industrial buildings, there are plenty of hoods with lots of urban decay, there is lots of crime, and there has been a huge population loss since the 60s. I don't see how anybody could argue Philly is not rustbelt. Not that there is anything wrong with being a part of rustbelt, I just love the atmosphere and the building style in the rustbelt cities.
Quote:
I know, thanks lol. I never said Europe is better but Newark fits right in with Baltimore, Detroit, Flint, Chicago, Gary, Philly, Washington DC and the like so in this case European cities are probably doing better.

Newark was the first American city I visited and I could already see its grittiness from the airplane. It was somewhat of a cultural shock to me but on the other hand I find the grittiness and roughness of American cities very interesting. Newark is one of the more fascinating places I visited but in no way does it resemble Europe to me.
Quote:
And crime and urban decay probably. I did some streetviewing and Philly looks very rough in quite a lot of parts. Crime is too high and there are too many rough areas to be considered a 'world class city'.
Quote:
I can understand why you Canadians would want to build a wall between Canada and Detroit, Buffalo, and Niagara Falls to keep crime and blight from spreading to Canada but building a wall along the whole border between Canada and the US just because of Trump seems a bit of an overreaction. Building walls doesn't solve anything, over here in Europe we have plenty of experience with building walls between countries and it didn't work out well.
You love to see American Blight.

Quote:
Which areas would you consider to be 'bad'? I would like to visit Detroit some day and I would like to know where the dangerous hoods with all the urban decay are. I know Delray, around 7th mile, and Highland Park for example are pretty bad but other than that I don't really know. Although generally, 'if it looks bad it probably is bad' applies. Of course I would go to Windsor too when I would be in the area.
Quote:
Agenda lol, it's nothing like that at all. I have very simple motivations, I'm just interested in your over the top crime rates and urban decay. Flint and Detroit are iconic in that sense but you're right that many other cities outside Michigan deserve attention as well.
Quote:
Mostly from unbiased sources like Fox News and youtube. I've never been to Detroit unfortunately, the closest cities resembling it I have been to are Newark and Chicago. Don't get the wrong idea from my posts, I love Canada, the US, and Detroit especially. I wish Europe would have cities like that. Seeing Detroit is the only reason I would ever travel back to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or