U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 PM

61 posts, read 32,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The positive things they are all about equal. The negative things though like crime and poverty, Philadelphia is probably tops. Population growth also seems to be much higher in DC and Boston. But why? They're both much more expensive to live in. What about job growth. Where does Philadelphia stand compared to the other two? I think in the 80s to the mid 90s DC had the worst reputation of the three.

Right, positive aspects are all about equal. That was my only point. They all offer the same things.

As RightOnWalnut pointed out, Washington has a worse crime rate and murder rate than Philadelphia, while Boston's is the lowest. I do find Boston's crime rate to be higher than I thought however. Especially the disparity between the murder rate and crime rate.

Philadelphia below for population growth, but above both for job growth.

I personally have never cared to rank any of them anyway. They're all about equally important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM

157 posts, read 222,746 times
I've been to Philly a few times. It's nice.
I don't think it's a Top 5 city with NYC, Chicago, etc. Instead I think it is more of a Top 10 city, alongside places like Dallas or Atlanta.

Generally speaking, when I think of Philly I think of the following things:
  • Terrible sports fans and teams (negative)
  • Italian Americans (neutral)
  • Lots of history (positive)
  • Blue collar (neutral)
I realize there's more to the city than just those things, but that's just what I think of initially.

On the East Coast and in nearby Rust Belt areas, Philly's perception is positive.
In other regions, it might have a more neutral/negative perception.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM

3,949 posts, read 2,351,094 times
Underrated imo. I could totally live there.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 AM

922 posts, read 836,179 times
Ten years ago, I would have completely agreed if we are talking about the biggest gap between reputation and reality. Philly had a reputation as a crime riden rustbelt dump, but actually had one of the few vibrant mixed use downtown, world class museums, and a number of historic urban neighborhoods.

Maybe this is just my urban east coast millennial bias, but I think the word has gotten out about Philly. Its viewed by many BosWas as a genuinely cool city with a much better COL than its I95 peers. Obviously thats not a universal opinion, but I dont think the reputation vs reality gap is as big.

It's funny you mentioned Chicago, I was actually going to suggest that might be the new winner. It has gained the Chiraq/debt crisis/pop loss reputation over the past 10 years, but in practice most people are suprised by the ammenities, safety, vibrancy, and growth of the downtown/northside.

Otherwise, perhaps Detriot, St Louis or Pittsburgh. Although, my perception is the first 2 are still very early into their revitalizations where hype may exceed reality and the word has gotten out about pittsburgh.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,435,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've never heard anyone have anything negative to say about Philly. I also never hear anyone raving about wanting to go there. It doesn't have the flashy perceptions like NYC, Las Vegas, Miami, and Los Angeles. It also doesn't have the perceived great natural beauty like Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Philly seems like a city to go to if your really into old American history.

Philly is like what Fort Worth is to Texas. Having to compete with nearby cities with much flashier perceptions.
Pretty much, this, ESPECIALLY the bolded part...

Old 01-11-2018, 10:45 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,435,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepf View Post
I live in upstate New York and I know very few people who ever goes to Philly. It seems like everyone I know loves New York and/or Boston. I personally like Philly very much but it definitely takes a back seat to New York and Boston where I live. Between all that New York offers and the beauty of Boston(and New England), Philly just seems to get forgotten. But like I said I really like Philly, right behind Boston and New York.
Yeah, it's really just the sort of thing where not many people are going to pick Philly over New York or Boston, so Philly often gets overlooked or forgotten. Heck, a lot of people wouldn't even pick Philly over D.C., but that's just because more than one of the most popular major cities are on the East Coast. Pick Philly up and drop it in the middle of the Midwest or some other region of the country where it would have less competition---particularly from cities close by that offer similar things but do them better---and it would EASILY be a lot more popular and well perceived than it is.

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 01-11-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

1,648 posts, read 743,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, it's really just the sort of thing where not many people are going to pick Philly over New York or Boston, so Philly often gets overlooked or forgotten. Heck, a lot of people wouldn't even pick Philly over D.C., but that's just because more than one of the most popular major cities are on the East Coast. Pick Philly up and drop in the middle of the Midwest or some other region of the country where it would have less competition---particularly from cities close by that offer similar things but do them better---and it would EASILY be a lot more popular and well perceived than it is.
+1.

I think Minneapolis, in people minds, lives in the shadows of Chicago much like Philly lives in the shadows of NYC and Boston. Sure, I can go to Minneapolis, and it's actually a very nice place. But am I going to visit MSP over Chicago? Nope I am not.

The reputation of the cities populous only perpetuates the problem. Although it's unfair, I think Philadelphians have quite a reputation built up across the states. A lot of it is driven by their sports fans, but a lot is driven by the general abrasive northeast vibe. Boston has a similar issue, as does NY, but I think they have a far reaching network of expats and gain enough positive notoriety to mitigate a lot of that noise (healthcare/universities/progressiveness of Boston, tourism/culture/powerful gdp in NYC). That, plus Philly still carries the baggage of it's blue collar rustbelt vibe. If I ask my father about Philadelphia (a native Chicagoan turned Bostonian), his first thought is "that place is a dump". That seems to be slowly disappearing, and rightfully so.

Last edited by mwj119; 01-11-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM

1,874 posts, read 1,240,840 times
I really don't think Philly lives in the shadow of Boston - they are pretty far away and with NYC in between, there really is not much connection. and Philly is larger than Boston. Somewhat the shadow of DC is more likely.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, it's really just the sort of thing where not many people are going to pick Philly over New York or Boston, so Philly often gets overlooked or forgotten. Heck, a lot of people wouldn't even pick Philly over D.C., but that's just because more than one of the most popular major cities are on the East Coast. Pick Philly up and drop it in the middle of the Midwest or some other region of the country where it would have less competition---particularly from cities close by that offer similar things but do them better---and it would EASILY be a lot more popular and well perceived than it is.
Lol

Put Philly in the Midwest and it still has to compete with Chicago and it would lose (by a small margin though)

Put Philly in the South though and now we are talking. Atl could compete but Philly for the most part would smack the majority of Southern cities easily. Philly could easily beat Houston IMO as well

Ps I am from Chicago but I would pick Philly over my hometown. But most Americans and others probably would pick Chicago over Philly (cope if you need to by telling yourself they wouldn't but they really would)

Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM

1,648 posts, read 743,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I really don't think Philly lives in the shadow of Boston - they are pretty far away and with NYC in between, there really is not much connection. and Philly is larger than Boston. Somewhat the shadow of DC is more likely.
I agree, definitely not "in the shadow". My statement pulled in a prior statement about Philly vs. NYC/Bos. I do think that Philly and Boston compete for a lot more than you think, though. Most notably tourism and industry growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or