U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 02:15 PM

3,666 posts, read 1,780,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Iíve long had a negative perception of Philadelphia thatís only changed because of this site. Even still I canít shake my long term bias that started when I visited for a school field trip to see the liberty bell. I thought that it was a very dirty and run down city. That was decades ago, but that and all the negative news stories have kept my opinion the same and likely outdated. I would almost never hear anything positive about Philly if I didnít come here.
The very first time I laid eyes on this city was in 1971, on my first trip to the Northeast.

Dad and I came in from Mt. Holly, NJ, where we were staying with a family he had stayed with for a while when he was stationed at Fort Dix.

My initial reaction upon seeing South Broad Street was:

"This city needs a bath desperately."

And it was so quiet! There was absolutely nothing happening on a Sunday here. (Well, the Broad Street Subway was running. I went down into the concourse at Walnut-Locust - they were just installing fluorescent lights at the time - and I did get a glimpse of one of the old subway cars.)

My second visit, in 1983, left me more favorably impressed. The buildings didn't look dingy anymore, for one.

The city I now call home is vastly different from both of those two, and the second one grew on me to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 PM

2,571 posts, read 3,332,315 times
My trip was from asbury Park in 1977. Even compared to asbury I thought that it was dirty.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:17 PM

4,873 posts, read 4,519,373 times
Its interesting to me that people complain about Philadelphia being dirty (which it is), yet I find NYC to be so much dirtier, yet it is never really mentioned, or magnified like it is in Philadelphia.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,346,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its interesting to me that people complain about Philadelphia being dirty (which it is), yet I find NYC to be so much dirtier, yet it is never really mentioned, or magnified like it is in Philadelphia.
I know. Right?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:05 PM

2,327 posts, read 1,075,180 times
The only city that gets things over looked somewhat are ...,. New York New York. Maybe SF too. No other city will. Bags of garbage in sidewalks in its core in other cities .... fabetaboutit.

Chicago wouldn't Nor would Philly. Housing also okays a roll and how well a cities clears its blight or its hid better. Neither of which Philly did well to lose the stereotypes yet, to any great extent. Improving ..... for sure. Center City especially. Yes overcame the most of these. Much outside of CC is hit and miss. Aesthetics play a HUUUUUGE roll.

The styles of common housing too and varieties too. I does matter.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:50 PM

49 posts, read 25,536 times
Quote:
Agreed. Never seen a city as filthy as New York which was frankly quite disgusting imo. The only other city that gave it a run for its money in terms of dirtiness was LA and that was more of an air problem rather than a street problem.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:11 AM

3,666 posts, read 1,780,395 times
The streets of San Francisco are littered with people to an extent I've not seen in any other large city, including Philadelphia, where people complain about them more than they do there.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,574,584 times
Quote:
People mention NYC being dirty all the time. Have you never heard of the rat meme?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:28 AM

1,877 posts, read 1,242,471 times
SF is dirtier than NY. and smells bad, even worse than 10 years ago, which was already bad.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:40 AM

4,873 posts, read 4,519,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
People mention NYC being dirty all the time. Have you never heard of the rat meme?
I know the consensus is that NYC is dirty, but people don't magnify it like they do when referencing Philadelphia, its sort of looked over because its NYC. Same with homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or