U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Austin's counter culture is packaged and marketed as a product.

yeah it doesn't seem all that progressive to me more like a college town that never grew up yet in many ways

I just don't see that Maybe for TX but on a national scale I don't see it

people drinking and eating tacos from food trucks in gas stations turned into bars does not make a counter culture, am sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
NYC, Philly, Montreal seem to have a lot of counter culture

Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 AM

156 posts, read 84,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC, Philly, Montreal seem to have a lot of counter culture
Austin feels way more counter-culture than Montreal, I can tell you that. I've lived in both. Montreal is just a bigger city and more diverse. The counter-cultural element of Montreal is just a small portion of the city, mostly centered in the Plateau. You don't get the feeling that most Montrealers are living in their own counter-cultural bubble, while when I lived in Austin, I did get a feel that people were living in their own Austin-universe. Austinites are more 'in-your-face-hip' while Montrealers are more subtle.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
San Francisco is THE counter culture city.
SF has been like that for awhile, but I'm not sure in this day and age how much of it is true. I think it's more noticeable in some areas because SF is a lot smaller than say NYC. I feel like SF has waned in this regard in the last 10 or 15 years though due to gentrification, tech bros, etc etc. I have some friends who are big skateboarders from SF who can't stand the city anymore and went elsewhere. I have some older friends in SF too who were more counter culture in the 60s and 70s - this guy LOVES SF, been there for decades, but has complained to me a few times about how he feels like the soul of the city is going away. Pretty sad.

I think the top 3 cities have a good amount - NYC, LA, and Chicago - but since they're big enough it utterly depends on where you are hanging out as it varies wildly from area to area. You'd have to spend a good amount of time in each city getting to know its various areas to know this. I think it's easier to spot in a smaller city like SF, Portland, etc but that's just my opinion.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
In the modern era I see the rise of more authentic counter-cultural activities happening in places like St. Louis (which has been really radicalized since Ferguson), Baltimore, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, New Orleans, maybe Miami, etc. Places with large stigmatized underclasses that have a real vested interest in rebellion and fighting against the "mainstream" culture of society. Relatively wealthy and stable regions usually are not hotbeds for authentic counter-culture activities. I mean "hipster" culture is so mainstream now that it's really not really perceived as counter-cultural, it's just another convenient genre or box we can put people in.
I think this is a very astute and accurate post.

Despite historic reputations, I'd absolutely agree that cities like NYC, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, DC, etc. have fully embraced corporatization, epotomize "the man", and have become disproportionate home bases for "the haves" versus the "have nots".

You've touched on the fact that the status quo of the socioecomic situation in the US today benefits these types of cities the most (i.e., the rise and rule of the educated class in dominant fields like government,tech, finance and biopharma/health), so it absolutely stands to reason that these cities would be the least likely to want to go in a more radical direction.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-30-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 03:02 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think this is a very astute and accurate post.

Despite historic reputations, I'd absolutely agree that cities like NYC, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, etc. have fully embraced corporatization, epotomize "the man", and have become disproportionate home bases for "the haves" versus the "have nots".
Yeah - I know that Detroit for example is a big magnet for this lately. All the rapidly gentrifying cities that you mention are interesting. NYC still has a lot but that's just because NYC is so big. Don't think it's like it once was - what some people would see as "counter culture" are just hipsters following everyone else.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:09 PM

738 posts, read 472,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
What cities have the most counter-culture people vs the least counter-culture? The counter-culture people like punk, emo, gutter punk, crust punk, juggalo, rock band people or hippies?

Seattle still big on punk and juggalo
Portland hippies.
San francisco hippies and punk.

Have not notice any counter-culture people in Las Vegas or anywhere in Nevada.
Montreal for sure has a ton of counter-culture. Tons of metal and punk bars, lots of rockers, hippies. I mean it is a big city so there is a large diversity of music and peoples lifestyle and whatnot, but it's also a factor as to why MTL has the largest heavy metal fest in N.A and largest rock fest in N.A as well (well... Montebello). There's also a little too many anarchists for my liking here but whatever, they're fun to poke fun at.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:19 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,035,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah - I know that Detroit for example is a big magnet for this lately. All the rapidly gentrifying cities that you mention are interesting. NYC still has a lot but that's just because NYC is so big. Don't think it's like it once was - what some people would see as "counter culture" are just hipsters following everyone else.
Agreed. I don't think of counter culture being someone who lives in a $2200/mo apartment drinking $6 Turkish coffee, whilst wearing clothes that "look" cheap. That's just someone who has to compensate for feeling to similar to everyone else stuck growing up in the suburbs.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:30 AM

6,716 posts, read 11,162,972 times
Least: Midland, TX

Old 01-02-2018, 08:30 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,335,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Agree with the above. For a major city DC has one of the least amounts of counter culture people. DC is definitely a type A city.
Yeah, most of the protester types are from out of town too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or