Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:47 AM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I think the Bay Area has a lot of counter-culture, particularly in places like Oakland and Berkeley where militant resistance to mainstream social norms have always been prevalent, whether it's hippie culture or the Black Panther Party. The other cities, I would say are not really counter-culture at all. Denver, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. etc. etc. are largely white and middle class, despite having "liberal ideology" and are generally perceived as places that are very livable or attractive to the average middle income American.

In the modern era I see the rise of more authentic counter-cultural activities happening in places like St. Louis (which has been really radicalized since Ferguson), Baltimore, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, New Orleans, maybe Miami, etc. Places with large stigmatized underclasses that have a real vested interest in rebellion and fighting against the "mainstream" culture of society. Relatively wealthy and stable regions usually are not hotbeds for authentic counter-culture activities. I mean "hipster" culture is so mainstream now that it's really not really perceived as counter-cultural, it's just another convenient genre or box we can put people in.
Why did you list those cities? The counter-culture is more a city thing in the down town area than the suburbs.

People in the suburbs are more likely to go with the mainstream culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I just got back from Austin for the second time in a month or so. I just don't see it either. Mind you, there are some cool things there, but it just didn't feel all that different to me.
Generally, Texans who haven't left the state tend to over-estimate the level of subculture in Austin.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 PM

429 posts, read 479,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I think the Bay Area has a lot of counter-culture, particularly in places like Oakland and Berkeley where militant resistance to mainstream social norms have always been prevalent, whether it's hippie culture or the Black Panther Party. The other cities, I would say are not really counter-culture at all. Denver, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. etc. etc. are largely white and middle class, despite having "liberal ideology" and are generally perceived as places that are very livable or attractive to the average middle income American.

In the modern era I see the rise of more authentic counter-cultural activities happening in places like St. Louis (which has been really radicalized since Ferguson), Baltimore, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, New Orleans, maybe Miami, etc. Places with large stigmatized underclasses that have a real vested interest in rebellion and fighting against the "mainstream" culture of society. Relatively wealthy and stable regions usually are not hotbeds for authentic counter-culture activities. I mean "hipster" culture is so mainstream now that it's really not really perceived as counter-cultural, it's just another convenient genre or box we can put people in.
I think we have a different idea of what counter-culture is. My understanding is that it's about subverting social and cultural norms, challenging mainstream perceptions around conformity and consumerism, etc. I agree the cities I mentioned, especially SF and Seattle, are major corporate hubs, but the counter-culture mentality, or at least faux-counter culture mentality, is very prominent in those cities.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Denver and Portland

Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Generally, Texans who haven't left the state tend to over-estimate the level of subculture in Austin.
Very true. There's subcultures all over Texas. In the era of social media and apps, it's easy to find a subculture even in the least likely of locations.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Honestly don't see too much counterculture in Baltimore though I'm not sure if counterculture includes the gangster culture which is heavily represented there.

For a college town, I don't think there's THAT much counterculture in Columbus or Baton Rouge. Another college town that's not countercultural is Morgantown for sure.

Also......Phoenix, Orlando, Charlotte, Dallas, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Charleston SC, Charleston WV.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Isn't it everywhere these days? Hipster/Punk fashion actually represents the majority of the urban/hip hop young crowd nowadays so I see it everywhere even in my small city. When I was coming along in the early and mid 2000s, guys who looked like this were automatically assumed to be in to metal or the like, now these are some of the hottest "Rappers" and I see kids dressed like this all over.

It's gotten to the point where kids like this one rapper below is wearing upside down crosses and even been questionined by older or more "traditional" hip hop heads. He basically describes being agnostic but thinks he's came up with something special on his own. I guess it's good/interesting to see people having a mind of their own. Here's what this kid said in response to questioning.

SahBabii went on to explain the meaning of his “Unknownism” movement.
“I created this ideology for seeking the truth,” SahBabii said. “I had this mindset since a young boy. I stand strong behind this. Book coming soon!! Unknownism0 accepting the fact of not knowing if all of this stuff they tell us is true. 666 6 protons, 6 electrons, and 6 neutrons. This has nothing to do with Saint Peter. Unknownism is life. Sorry, we are open minded and don’t follow the wave and believe in crap that hasn’t been proving. Much love to my unknowns #666.”

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-26-2017 at 03:20 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
San Francisco is THE counter culture city.

Not sure about the least. Indianapolis? Charlotte?

Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Honestly don't see too much counterculture in Baltimore though I'm not sure if counterculture includes the gangster culture which is heavily represented there.

For a college town, I don't think there's THAT much counterculture in Columbus or Baton Rouge. Another college town that's not countercultural is Morgantown for sure.

Also......Phoenix, Orlando, Charlotte, Dallas, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Charleston SC, Charleston WV.
I don't think you find any counterculture in any of those cities.

May be San Diego? The reason I say that is when I was in San Diego for a day (passing through) I seen a number of people in dreadlocks that look like hippies.

I wonder if this is common in San Diego?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Boulder, CO is like a mini San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City