U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.60%
Jacksonville 6 3.19%
Tampa 7 3.72%
Nashville 19 10.11%
Kansas City 14 7.45%
Charlotte 11 5.85%
Austin 10 5.32%
Atlanta 50 26.60%
Indianapolis 7 3.72%
St. Louis 14 7.45%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM

10,309 posts, read 12,461,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Atlanta is a Tier 1 city.
In what way? It's pretty poor and dumpy generally .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 AM

10,309 posts, read 12,461,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I have found that the way we grade cities (tiers) to be very misleading. We debate city vs city but end up including MSA and CSA. We debate MSA vs MSA and end up including the city proper. You have some areas like DC which has an amazing city but if you drive an hour south to Fredericksburg you just have a charming small town and traffic. There needs to be another method to grade the progress of our cities or we will end up with hundreds of pages of opinion based information on city data and topics veering off into left center field. My suggestion is use urban populations and the GDP of the urban area only as the primary basis for grading since it takes from the city but does not include counties nearly 100 miles away from the city center.
The US is generally a terrible place for urban living.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 11,681,301 times
Of the places not on this list, New Orleans would be a good choice probably. Also I don't know if the OP counts Miami-Ft Lauderdale as a top tier city but many NYC transplants are very happy there. Some other places could include Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,044,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thanks for being objective, it's rare when it comes to folks who live in Atlanta. Usually it's paradise for everyone and it's impossible for someone to dislike it.
Pure BS. It's more defending the place due to people like you constantly spewing crap about it than anything else, and anyone paying attention knows it.

Quote:
It provides amenities that can be found in many cities but nothing unique.
That's your opinion, and it's purely subjective.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
LOL, what does it say when Atlanta can't even win a poll amongst cities below its own tier. You should stop concentrating on me because I'm not alone in the thought about Atlanta, clearly
It says it's up against San Diego, a wonderful place that would handily beat your beloved D.C. as well - and just about any other city.

Meanwhile, Atlanta was #3 in total new jobs over the past 12 months and we are booming like never before. Make of it what you will, but Atlanta is on fire right now.

Feel free to negatively spin away.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, it looks pretty poor and dumpy.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7866...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,936,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It says it's up against San Diego, a wonderful place that would handily beat your beloved D.C. as well - and just about any other city.

Meanwhile, Atlanta was #3 in total new jobs over the past 12 months and we are booming like never before. Make of it what you will, but Atlanta is on fire right now.

Feel free to negatively spin away.
You're silly. Noone said anything about Atlantas job growth. I've actually mentioned that Atlanta is growing exponentially multiple times on CD. Noone is claiming Atlanta is performing badly. I've only said I don't care for the city personally. It doesn't draw me in any way.

Also, unlike you, I can be objective about DC. Do I love DC? Yes. Do I think there are things that suck about it? Yes? Is it OK for some people to not like DC? Yes. Is DC growing and have a good market? Yes. You see, DC is a great place but I think it lacks an edge factor and the culture can be rather bland and monotnous. It is afterall a very transient place. The city also lacks diversity, not racially but in subcultures whether it's hippies, artist, skaters etc. In general people can also be pretty stuck up. This is called being objective..

Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM

5,362 posts, read 7,082,695 times
Quote:
The US is generally a terrible place for urban living.
Sigh...if only we could rid the country of those who thought that way.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,059,926 times
The World According to GaWC 2016
GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

Translating that ranking into numbered tiers, we have

TIER 1
Alpha++:
- New York
Alpha+:
- none
Alpha:
- Chicago
- Los Angeles
Alpha-:
- Washington
- San Francisco
- Miami

TIER 2
Beta+:
- Boston
- Atlanta
- Dallas
- Houston
Beta:
- Philadelphia
Beta-:
- Minneapolis
- Denver
- Seattle
- St. Louis
- San Diego

TIER 3
Gamma+:
- Cleveland
- Detroit
- San Jose
Gamma:
- Phoenix
- Austin
- Cincinnati
- Kansas City
- Tampa
Gamma-:
- Charlotte
- Baltimore
- Raleigh
- Orlando
- Columbus
- Pittsburgh

Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM

27,939 posts, read 24,985,133 times
Quote:
LOL, what does it say when Atlanta can't even win a poll amongst cities below its own tier.
It says that coastal bias is real...not totally unjustified, but real. And Atlanta is currently polling second to San Diego so let's not act like it's at the bottom of the heap.

Quote:
Yeah, it seems everyone thinks that Atlanta is just a bigger version of Gary or Youngstown. [/sarcasm]

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-26-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or