U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.60%
Jacksonville 6 3.19%
Tampa 7 3.72%
Nashville 19 10.11%
Kansas City 14 7.45%
Charlotte 11 5.85%
Austin 10 5.32%
Atlanta 50 26.60%
Indianapolis 7 3.72%
St. Louis 14 7.45%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2017, 10:33 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,915,497 times
Reputation: 1310

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Lol, this thread is hilarious.

Obviously, the only answer in the poll is San Diego or Atlanta. The other cities (with sincere no disrespect) in the poll do not compare at all to those two, and thus should be ignored for someone who wants to keep living the same life they had in the Big 3 at a discount rate. Atlanta and San Diego offer enough amenities that someone coming from a city like NYC, Chicago, or LA (who isn't a big headed snob) would be able to live an enjoyable life everyday and not feel like they are "missing out".

With that said, Atlanta, by virtue of it's sheer size, obviously has a lot more to offer than San Diego save the one thing that White folks (and those that aren't White but really want to be accepted by that crowd) wants in a city in every way. Aside from some retail shopping options, there isn't a da*n thing you couldn't find in Atlanta that exists in the Big 3. If you disagree, please oh please challenge me.

What this poll (solely on how people are voting) comes down to is this: Do you recognize Atlanta as a valid city or not. In reality this question isn't a debate. Atlanta which is as of this moment twice the size of San Diego, is growing at a rate so fast that it is hard to (for a sensible person) ignore that it will be at that subjective Tier 1 level by mid century (which will be here faster than you think millennials) and have all of the vaunted things that some people on thread/board think are so important to life in the Big 3. San Diego, while a great city (and I don't mean that diminutive way), just isn't in the same spot or trajectory. This is due to not only it's size, but also the great sucking action it's proximity to Los Angeles creates.

Another thing that Atlanta has over San Diego is affordability. Because I have employees that live there, I know for an absolute fact that you are at an economic disadvantage living in San Diego vs Atlanta. Housing costs are double that in San Diego vs Atlanta, and most likely (unless you are loaded) you will be forced to live way out in the burbs far in the downtown or the coast contrary to what your daydreams tell you.

Aside from the above, the interesting thing to take note of when you step back is how Atlanta is viewed in this thread and Forum by those who write it off casually. No one ever disagrees that Atlanta is great "if you are Black", but just as quickly, people will say there are better cities if you are anything but Black. First off, if you find something wrong with a city being welcoming and more suited to a Black person something is wrong with you. Secondly, Atlanta isn't only well suited to Black people. Hell, Black people only make up 31% of the entire metropolitan population. Obviously if 70% of the rest of population is Asian, Latinx, or White then it is working well for them too.

To close this out, I have two things.

Thing #1:

Ebck120 who do you think you are trying to kid people on this thread, dude? The prominent Atlanta posters on this board know you from the time you spent on this board back in '09 and '10 and know that you really didn't enjoy your time in Atlanta in the early Aughts.

Firstly, it is hilarious to me personally that you still have so much disdain built up from nearly a decade ago that you feel it is worth your time to counter anything positive anyone has to say about Atlanta on this thread.

Secondly, based on a specific conversation you and I had about yakitori availability in Atlanta a few years back (Long story short in case you forgot (and for those that weren't there) you said a person couldn't find yakitori in Atlanta and thus it was inferior to "better cities" due to this "fact". I gave you several restaurants that served it to counter your point about it's non-existence, but you argued that it wasn't "really yakitori" because those restaurants happened to be in strip malls in edge neighborhoods (as if the building a food is contained in makes it better) and couldn't be authentic since they weren't in a stand alone building in the center city (Side note: the Japanese scene is far more evolved since than the time you lived here). That particularly mind numbing conversation taught me that you are ultra basic, and because of that, I blocked you immediately. So respond this post if you want, I won't read it.

Thing #2:

People who live in NYC, Chicago, or LA fall in to one of three categories:

1.) They have enough money to live exactly where they want, enjoy everything the city has to offer, and never even think about leaving since there is basically nothing to gain on their part. (There is nothing wrong with this FYI since all three are great cities).

2.) You are ok with not having enough money to enjoy everything that city offers, but make the most of what you have.

3.) You cannot enjoy all of what these cities have to offer because you don't have enough money or friends/family to truly enjoy it with. You feel stuck and you want to find something new.

For those that fall in to category #3, this thread is for you because (whether you want to admit or not) your life in the city you are currently living in isn't working out for you. I have good news for you though if you are in the mood to start fresh in a new city: There is life outside of NYC, Chicago, and LA despite what you have heard.

Is this life "better" than what you find in one of the Big 3? No (based on amenities), but that's not the point is it? You are looking for something different than those three cities and if you leave you must embrace it. It's ok to move out of your comfort zone and do something new. Hell, you might even find that those things you thought were so essential to life in the previous city you were in aren't so important.

This country is blessed to have dozen of cities that could easily be the #1 city in another country. Some are super dense and "urban", others are more laid back and spaced out. Those things however are unimportant since the true goal in life is to be happy.

So if you want to venture out from your comfort zone, I advise you to just let all of your preconceived notions of what a city should or shouldn't be go. Embrace your surroundings, meet new friends, and just have a good time.

If that is too much for you to handle, stay where you are and either get another job to satisfy your material needs or just stop looking for the end of the rainbow. No one wants to be around a person that hates their surroundings, and it isn't healthy to place yourself in a situation where you feel that way.
Thanks for proving my opinion. Atlanta boosters are the craziest. I can't believe you remember our conversation from 10 yrs ago. I had forgotten. JMatl, you should follow his lead and stop engaging with me or randomly somehow re-engage as Waronxmas is doing? Lol..randomly reappearing to make one comment? Lol, just to make a point about Atlanta? I can't... Then say he's blocked someone for being basic but making an entire rant about it. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,915,497 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You can't erase your posting history, your agenda is well documented - regardless of how 'fun' you think I am. You have stooped to making up outright lies about Atlanta to further your relentless agenda, and were caught and exposed. You only barely acquiesced when multiple posters other than I challenged you.

You obviously have to have the last word, even when proven wrong repeatedly. When you stop spewing, I'll stop confronting.
So again.. You can't quote me where I said a fake fact about Atlanta on this thread can you? I can tell you how it started.. I picked SD and I moved there from NYC which is the premise of the thread and said it was a bad experience and you started barking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,646 posts, read 3,018,670 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thanks for proving my opinion. Atlanta boosters are the craziest. I can't believe you remember our conversation from 10 yrs ago. I had forgotten. JMatl, you should follow his lead and stop engaging with me or randomly somehow re-engage as Waronxmas is doing? Lol..randomly reappearing to make one comment? Lol, just to make a point about Atlanta? I can't... Then say he's blocked someone for being basic but making an entire rant about it. Ridiculous.
So just like your new neighbor on Pennsylvania Ave, you intend to double down on this crap? How not surprising.

As long as you insist on spewing your bizarre anti-Atlanta agenda, you will be continually challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,051 posts, read 1,296,863 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Lol, this thread is hilarious.

Obviously, the only answer in the poll is San Diego or Atlanta. The other cities (with sincere no disrespect) in the poll do not compare at all to those two, and thus should be ignored for someone who wants to keep living the same life they had in the Big 3 at a discount rate. Atlanta and San Diego offer enough amenities that someone coming from a city like NYC, Chicago, or LA (who isn't a big headed snob) would be able to live an enjoyable life everyday and not feel like they are "missing out". .
Stopped here.

You must have an outdated view on how millennials think. People aren't moving from those cities to continue living the same life they had before, if that was the case, then what's the point of moving. These people are moving because they're either looking to further their careers, or to live cheaper and newer interesting lives from what they're previously used to. San Diego nor Atlanta offer the amenities similar to those three cities to put them so much above the other cities listen in the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,646 posts, read 3,018,670 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
You must have an outdated view on how millennials think. People aren't moving from those cities to continue living the same life they had before
And you know this how?


Quote:
San Diego nor Atlanta offer the amenities similar to those three cities to put them so much above the other cities listen in the poll.
Yes, they do. They are clearly both a tier above them, and it isn't disputable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 12:24 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,051 posts, read 1,296,863 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know this how?
Because I'm one of those millennials who moved from NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, they do. They are clearly both a tier above them, and it isn't disputable.
They're a tier above them, but it doesn't mean that they both have the acquired amenities to differentiate themselves from the other cities to the plateau of NYC, they all have certain qualities that Atlanta nor San Diego provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,646 posts, read 3,018,670 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Because I'm one of those millennials who moved from NYC.
You aren't a typical millennial though, and hardly speak for your entire generation. I can't think of any that have Birmingham on an imaginary pedestal like you do, actually.


Quote:
They're a tier above them, but it doesn't mean that they both have the acquired amenities to differentiate themselves from the other cities to the plateau of NYC
Now you're moving the goalposts. Re-read waronxmas's post. NO American City claims this, and nobody in this thread ever claimed it either.

Quote:
they all have certain qualities that Atlanta nor San Diego provides.
And? This can be said about ANY city, they all offer something unique that can't be duplicated elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,224 posts, read 5,580,985 times
Reputation: 3801
Obviously from this thread there is no clear cut answer. I like different types of cities. Many like Atlanta. If not, it wouldn't be growing like it is. Atlanta is nice and fun but not my cup of tea. That doesn't take away from me seeing the positives that area has. I am sure San Diego is the same way.

There is no clear cut rating of tier 1 tier 2 type cities. I wouldnt say Atlanta is tier 1 for sure. There seems to be an obsession with urban living and density. Neighborhood walkscore and if there is a corner bar or coffee shop on every corner. For those people, Atlanta may not be in tier 2. For those who look at amenities like department stores, big buildings and GMP Atlanta may be tier 2. Either way it doesn't take away from Atlanta its just a different way of interacting with the city and personal expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 01:14 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,915,497 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
So just like your new neighbor on Pennsylvania Ave, you intend to double down on this crap? How not surprising.

As long as you insist on spewing your bizarre anti-Atlanta agenda, you will be continually challenged.
If you choose to interject on every one of my comments, that's your prerogative I clearly don't mind at all.

I like how I've asked you twice now to quote me on a fake fact about Atlanta on this thread that's I've presented but you can't... But you keep saying that I'm saying fake facts about Atlanta. I'd assume this would be an easy task for you.

LOL, again I think SD is the best choice because it provides at least some different things/activities to do and see that you won't easily find in alot of tier 1 cities or city i.e. ocean, skiing, tall mtns, a tier 1 city close by, Mexico etc..

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-29-2017 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2017, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,626 posts, read 4,350,832 times
Reputation: 2513
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Someone earlier in thread posted a "ranking" of cities that was pretty far off. Here is a ranking of cities based on reality and not personal biases around what is "urban" or trendy.

Tier 1a (in numerical order):

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago

Tier 1b (in alphabetical order because people will get pissy if I put them in numerical order and I don't have time of that)

Atlanta
Boston
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Philadelphia
Seattle
Washington, D.C.

Tier 2

Austin
Baltimore
Cleveland
Detroit
Denver
Minneapolis-St. Paul
New Orleans
Phoenix
Portland
San Diego

Tier 3+:

Every other city in this country, by rank. (I don't have time to break them up).
What reality is this based off of? How is Minneapolis, Detroit, and Phoenix in the same tier as new Orleans? From measurements like GDP, F500 companies, population, ect. Those cities are closer to some of your cities on the tier 1b list then it is to some of your cities on the tier 2 list. Detroit and Phoenix are twice the size of most of those tier 2 cities.

Also where is SF? STL? Indianapolis? Tampa? Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top