U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.60%
Jacksonville 6 3.19%
Tampa 7 3.72%
Nashville 19 10.11%
Kansas City 14 7.45%
Charlotte 11 5.85%
Austin 10 5.32%
Atlanta 50 26.60%
Indianapolis 7 3.72%
St. Louis 14 7.45%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM

802 posts, read 458,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Have you been to Richmond and Raleigh? Both are nice but nothing about Raleigh is urban and Richmond will be a nice surprise, very urban and walkable core plus DC is close by. I lived in Chicago too and agree with your assessments on the potential next cities except Raleigh is the outlier. Nashville was my second choice after SD out of your original list of options. Any thoughts on Pittsburgh?
I've only been to Raleigh for business and it wasn't right in the city core. I do like it's convenience to the east coast and its weather, generally. I've heard good things about it, but it sounds like it's low on urbanity. Thanks for that.

Never been to Richmond and it's on my list of most intriguing cities. Everything I've heard about it sounds great and I'd love to explore it.

I have been to Pittsburgh. Underrated, nice city. Decently urban too. Spent 3 days there with friends in the summer a few years ago. It's not a "wow" place, but there are worse places to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I actually think Nashville is a good choice and it's developing it's Inner core as well as it's Suburbs rapidly. There has always been a bias against Nashville and I would hardly expect it to win in these types of polls especially against a lot of Cities listed, not because it doesn't match up but just the fact a lot of people voting have never been and are going straight off of perception or what they are thinking it's like. Not saying some on here have not experienced the City. IMO Nashville's biggest problem is its Mass Transit. It's far Too Big and it's growth rate is way past its current MTA bus system and 1 Commuter Rail line. That will implode real quick at its rate of growth!!
Nashville has always been on my list. It would still have four seasons but a much milder winter, plus it's a place people love to be, it seems. I've been there once for a 5 day seminar around the year 2000 - a long time ago.

Going forward, I would have zero interest in a suburban life - only looking at urban cores, or at least very adjacent. So the transit system/traffic isn't a major factor, although it would help to get around the main areas of the city.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 PM

ATL has a core, it's just not one I am fond of. Buckhead is cool, but too sterile. ATL is a very big metro though. It would be a great choice for a suburban lifestyle with access to pro sports, etc.

But lets face it, very few cities even come close to Chicago when it comes to urban living.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:39 AM

4,283 posts, read 3,344,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Nashville has always been on my list. It would still have four seasons but a much milder winter, plus it's a place people love to be, it seems. I've been there once for a 5 day seminar around the year 2000 - a long time ago.
Nashville has changed a lot since then.

Quote:
Going forward, I would have zero interest in a suburban life - only looking at urban cores, or at least very adjacent. So the transit system/traffic isn't a major factor, although it would help to get around the main areas of the city.
That is where several cities in this tier group struggle due to the lack funding and failure to plan for future growth, etc.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:01 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,155,954 times
Quote:
I kept Seattle, MPLS and Portland off on purpose. Those cities, for various reasons, aren't ones I'd ever target. I know they get a lot of love on CD, but way, way too much drizzle and clouds in Seattle and Portland for my taste, and MPLS is just that little bit too cold.

I should have definitely added Denver though.

If I were to ever leave the Chicago area and seek a new, urban life elsewhere, I'm probably narrowing the field to:

Denver
San Diego
Perhaps Richmond or Raleigh
Nashville if there is more infill in the next 10 years...but it looks like it's not ready yet.
Quote:
Never been to Richmond and it's on my list of most intriguing cities. Everything I've heard about it sounds great and I'd love to explore it.

I have been to Pittsburgh. Underrated, nice city. Decently urban too. Spent 3 days there with friends in the summer a few years ago. It's not a "wow" place, but there are worse places to be.
Every guy who's into nightlife, attractive people, art and the beach should live in Miami at least once. Preferably South Beach. It was great while I was there, but ended up being too much for me for the day-to-day living. Works for others. I'd certainly pick it before San Diego and Atlanta.

Pittsburgh is pretty good for daily living, but it does lack that wow factor. But if it wasn't your thing then Richmond is going to be a letdown for you most likely. It is worth a visit. It's a nice place. Lots of hip types and fashion types. Really liked it from an architectural standpoint.

Is Canada an option? If so I'd say Montreal is worth a look.

Also, maybe take a look a Jersey City. Especially if you're into Eastern Indians.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:06 PM

721 posts, read 218,852 times
I voted for San Diego because I disagree that it is not a tier 1 metro. To me, San Diego is the best metro in California.

Since I'm debating that San Diego belongs on the list, he most satisfying 2nd tier city on that list is Tampa. I moved to Tampa Bay after having lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco as well as Hawaii and over seas. So, I've lived in some good places.

Tampa Bay is my favorite place to call home yet over all. Sure, Florida drivers are insane, but you can't win them all, and the weather and opportunities for outdoor recreation are amazing here. Combine that with the low cost of living, and you can live a very comfortable existence in Tampa.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 PM

1,078 posts, read 895,338 times
Coming from a real city Seattle is pretty underwhelming, but not bad for a tier 3 city.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 PM

131 posts, read 87,367 times
I would rather go in reverse, moving from a third tier city to a first tier. And since I'm 21 I would want to live in an urban/downtown setting instead of the suburbs.

But is Buffalo even a third tier city, or 4th tier ?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:21 AM

4,283 posts, read 3,344,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I would rather go in reverse, moving from a third tier city to a first tier. And since I'm 21 I would want to live in an urban/downtown setting instead of the suburbs.

But is Buffalo even a third tier city, or 4th tier ?
4th

Old 08-27-2017, 02:05 AM

2,103 posts, read 3,167,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It isn't, but it's a tier ahead of the cities in this poll.
There's no logical way the OP can consider Seattle and Denver tier 1 but not Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or