U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.60%
Jacksonville 6 3.19%
Tampa 7 3.72%
Nashville 19 10.11%
Kansas City 14 7.45%
Charlotte 11 5.85%
Austin 10 5.32%
Atlanta 50 26.60%
Indianapolis 7 3.72%
St. Louis 14 7.45%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
Reputation: 2719

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm so sick of that moniker.
I don't find it offensive. It probably is fitting. Atlanta is doing great nationally. Seems like every movie is shot there now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM
 
Location: DMV Area
860 posts, read 468,304 times
Reputation: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
So you're implying all Atlanta has going for it is a 'huge black scene?' What does that even mean? What is a black scene? I don't think you understand how big the white, Asian, and Hispanic 'scenes' are in Atlanta.
I'm sure you don't have a problem with Miami being viewed as having a "huge scene" for Latinos though...Atlanta is known for being a center for Black culture. I don't see why this is seen as a problem.

However, I do agree with you that there are other races of people who live Atlanta and love it just as much. There are thriving Korean and Mexican communities in the suburbs that most people have no idea of. While Atlanta is a great place for black people, it's status as a "mecca" can be overblown at times because there are a lot of black people who don't like it there either, and there are a lot of issues with poverty and income stratification because for every successful black professional who moves there, there are quite a few who move there with no job skills or education and expect that moving to the city will magically resolve their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands
I agree. I'm a black man who doesn't particurly care for ATL, but this poll specifically asks about which city is best for someone moving from a top-tier city. I think Atlanta holds more appeal for a black New Yorker or Angelino than his white counterparts.
In general, Black New Yorkers (and Black Northeasterners in general) tend to hold ATL in higher regard than Black Californians do. Having lived in Los Angeles (and ATL before that), I noticed most Black Angelenos tend to prefer Texas over Atlanta, and tend to view Atlanta with either mild curiosity or indifference unless they're in the entertainment industry or have relatives there. This includes my relatives, friends, and acquaintances in SoCal. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of black transplants from California in Georgia, but they tend to not adjust as well as black folks I knew from NYC, North Jersey, Philly, or Baltimore/DC...

Midwestern Blacks tend to be split between Atlanta and the Texas cities when it comes to migrating South as well. I notice black folks from Chicago and St. Louis tend to prefer DFW or Houston while blacks from Detroit and the Ohio cities tend to prefer Atlanta.



...Anyway, out of this poll, San Diego for the beach lifestyle/living in a blue state, coastal city; Atlanta for career advancement, and being about as urban as you can get in the Southeast US outside of New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
First of all, there are boosters on city data for every single city in America so don't go acting like this is just an Atlanta thing when all you have to do is a simple search on the boosters in Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, and DC. If those are top tier cities as you and EBCK then why do they have boosters as well?

Anyway, Atlanta is doing something right since it is attracting so many people. I think Kmanshouse should at least visit Atlanta to see if this is the place for him/her. If not, move on to visit the next city on the list. It's simple!
I just chalk it up to envy and bitterness over our success, and the fact that their cities are yesterday's news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Sandy Springs (ATL)
1,871 posts, read 2,208,027 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Atlanta is a tier two city and Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Seattle and Miami are also considered tier 2.

With that being said, I would still opt for Atlanta. Atlanta has many gays in the area but is a straight man's paradise. There are so many beautiful men and women in this area from all over and there is always something to do from festivals, to clubs, lounges, speakeasies, comedy clubs, bars and much more. San Diego is beautiful but very expensive to live in. Outside of the beach life which gets tiring after a while, what else can you really do in that city if most of your finances is going to living expenses?
I moved here from Los Angeles and I agree completely. San Diego is an overpriced, conservative, white, military beachtown...that's it. This forum and certain boosters will truly make you despise Atlanta for their delusional fanaticism, but in real life this place is a great fit for many people...and its still crazy affordable for all it offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM
 
Location: DMV Area
860 posts, read 468,304 times
Reputation: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles and I agree completely. San Diego is an overpriced, conservative, white, military beachtown...that's it. This forum and certain boosters will truly make you despise Atlanta for their delusional fanaticism, but in real life this place is a great fit for many people...and its still crazy affordable for all it offers.
I grew up in San Diego, and that's somewhat accurate. It's a lot more diverse now than it was in the 80s. Also, you have to go south of Interstate 8 to get more "ethnic flavor" in San Diego or even to find a decent barber shop. However, it still feels pretty slow compared to other West Coast metros, doesn't have near the amount of job growth or opportunities as other Western cities and has been surpassed by Vegas and Phoenix in terms of development and dynamism. The city has rested on its laurels far too long by being the "Anti-LA," and has way too much of a NIMBY element for it to truly progress. Plans to convert parts of Miramar to a commercial airport should've been done years ago.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I would drive to San Diego when I needed to get away and decompress, and even though it's a city of 1.3 million people, it definitely feels a lot smaller than that partially due to the vibe and canyon-arroyo-mesa landscape that separates a lot of the neighborhoods. While there are walkable neighborhoods full of bars and restaurants, most of the city is pretty suburban in look and feel. I could see a New Yorker being bored after awhile. Chicagoans would probably adjust a bit more (lots of former Chicagoans in San Diego and Phoenix, which is just as suburban in feel, if not more).

My mom (who lives down south) wants to move back, but its way too expensive, cost-prohibitive for a retiree and my brother and I live in the Mid-Atlantic, so it wouldnt make any sense for her to move all the way across the country. And my dad doesn't want to move back to California either, so how would that work? LOL...

There are a lot of Atlanta boosters who do too much on this board, however, I think that a lot of that is outright defensiveness due to it being a southern city that sprawls. There's a similar vibe with the Houston and Dallas boosters here, so I learned not to trip with that to much...
Be that as it may, I enjoyed my time there when I lived in Atlanta, and while it isn't the NYC of the South, Atlanta is not the horrid cesspool that so many people assume it to be.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-24-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM
 
7,177 posts, read 3,869,610 times
Reputation: 7537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles and I agree completely. San Diego is an overpriced, conservative, white, military beachtown...that's it. This forum and certain boosters will truly make you despise Atlanta for their delusional fanaticism, but in real life this place is a great fit for many people...and its still crazy affordable for all it offers.
Is San Diego actually conservative, or is it just conservative by California standards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,913,351 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles and I agree completely. San Diego is an overpriced, conservative, white, military beachtown...that's it. This forum and certain boosters will truly make you despise Atlanta for their delusional fanaticism, but in real life this place is a great fit for many people...and its still crazy affordable for all it offers.
It still amazes me that someone can use an area being "White" as a negative. Imagine if someone said the same thing about Atlanta in a negative way because it's "Black". Smh..racists comments are a two way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
11,411 posts, read 13,955,986 times
Reputation: 10924
San Diego gets my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM
 
7,177 posts, read 3,869,610 times
Reputation: 7537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It still amazes me that someone can use an area being "White" as a negative. Imagine if someone said the same thing about Atlanta in a negative way because it's "Black". Smh..racists comments are a two way street.
I see your point, but when people criticize a place for being "white", they typically mean that it's not diverse, welcoming and inclusive. While people on this board rarely complain about cities being too black, they hint at it through coded speech, and there have been plenty of posts were people overtlu claimed that Miami, for example, was too Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM
 
320 posts, read 155,770 times
Reputation: 404
Atlanta boosters are no worst than any of the other cities. Obviously Atlanta boosters get riled up because other posters come on here spewing all types of misinformation. If you haven't been here in 15 + years then please just be quiet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top