U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.60%
Jacksonville 6 3.19%
Tampa 7 3.72%
Nashville 19 10.11%
Kansas City 14 7.45%
Charlotte 11 5.85%
Austin 10 5.32%
Atlanta 50 26.60%
Indianapolis 7 3.72%
St. Louis 14 7.45%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 AM
 
Location: DMV Area
864 posts, read 469,935 times
Reputation: 1563

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Is San Diego actually conservative, or is it just conservative by California standards?
It's conservative by California standards. But it's more libertarian than outright right-wing like the Southeast. However, there are a surprising amount of evangelical conservatives in East County and parts of North County Inland. However, a lot of conservatives have left for Phoenix, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Idaho, or Colorado Springs because they felt San Diego has gotten too diverse and liberal. I'd argue that DFW is about as diverse as San Diego, if not more, and Phoenix has a large Latino population, so that's neither here nor there. Also, the taxes in California are extremely high, and a lot of people have problems with that.

Historically, San Diego had more in common with Phoenix, Orange County, and San Bernardino/Riverside than it did with San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-24-2017 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2017, 09:13 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,915,497 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I see your point, but when people criticize a place for being "white", they typically mean that it's not diverse, welcoming and inclusive. While people on this board rarely complain about cities being too black, they hint at it through coded speech, and there have been plenty of posts were people overtlu claimed that Miami, for example, was too Latino.
I agree with you on all fronts. But if I took your comment

"white", they typically mean that it's not diverse, welcoming and inclusive

and changed it to

"black", they typically mean that it's the ghetto, high crime and poor

It's not much better. I just think it's wrong from either side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,504 posts, read 2,732,635 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I agree with you on all fronts. But if I took your comment

"white", they typically mean that it's not diverse, welcoming and inclusive

and changed it to

"black", they typically mean that it's the ghetto, high crime and poor

It's not much better. I just think it's wrong from either side.
Seems like we have a lot of work to do as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Sandy Springs (ATL)
1,871 posts, read 2,210,336 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I see your point, but when people criticize a place for being "white", they typically mean that it's not diverse, welcoming and inclusive. While people on this board rarely complain about cities being too black, they hint at it through coded speech, and there have been plenty of posts were people overtlu claimed that Miami, for example, was too Latino.
Correct....and its not even like I said it in a negative way lol. I mentioned "white" in the same line and context as I did "military beachtown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,915,497 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Correct....and its not even like I said it in a negative way lol. I mentioned "white" in the same line and context as I did "military beachtown".
Sure... it's pretty transparent that you meant it in a negative way. I guess people can start saying no to Atlanta because it's Black. Oh and btw, I don't mean it in a negative way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It still amazes me that someone can use an area being "White" as a negative. Imagine if someone said the same thing about Atlanta in a negative way because it's "Black". Smh..racists comments are a two way street.
It's pretty clear you have an agenda. I can't count how many times people have trashed cities/neighborhoods on this forum because they are majority Black but I haven't seen you say anything in those cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,915,497 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty clear you have an agenda. I can't count how many times people have trashed cities/neighborhoods on this forum because they are majority Black but I haven't seen you say anything in those cases.
So my agenda is call out racists comments? I'm sorry but I don't read every thread and in the threads I actively partake in I've mostly seen this scenario since I started saying something. If you have examples of such please do share as I feel the same way coming from any direction. I also said just a few comments above, it's wrong from both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 AM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
So my agenda is call out racists comments? I'm sorry but I don't read every thread and in the threads I actively partake in I've mostly seen this scenario since I started saying something. If you have examples of such please do share as I feel the same way coming from any direction. I also said just a few comments above, it's wrong from both sides.
Your "calling out racism" is pretty one-sided and that's all I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM
 
Location: DMV Area
864 posts, read 469,935 times
Reputation: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your "calling out racism" is pretty one-sided and that's all I say.
Exactly. That particular poster is always complaining about black people's posts, and yet is silent about a lot of the anti-black comments made on here. Goes to show you that there are a lot of POC out there who look down on black people and think they have the right to dictate how black people feel about things.

And damn near any thread regarding cities such as Detroit, Atlanta, Baltimore, New Orleans, are chock full of passive-aggressive comments about "demographics" or the city being "ghetto" or full of "Democrats." But yet no one has anything to say about those types of posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Illinois
802 posts, read 458,760 times
Reputation: 879
It seems San Diego is getting a lot of the "weather" votes. The poll was meant more from a sheer urban/amenities point of view, like, I was in NYC or Chicago, now I'm here and it's still got some muscle - I can live with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top