U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.60%
Jacksonville 6 3.19%
Tampa 7 3.72%
Nashville 19 10.11%
Kansas City 14 7.45%
Charlotte 11 5.85%
Austin 10 5.32%
Atlanta 50 26.60%
Indianapolis 7 3.72%
St. Louis 14 7.45%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:43 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,919,123 times
Reputation: 1310

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your "calling out racism" is pretty one-sided and that's all I say.
It's what I see and respond to. Like I said, you're more then welcome to provide evidence of what I've missed in threads I partake in. It should be easy for you since according to you I keep missing them and you're blatantly accusing me of being one sided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:46 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,919,123 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Exactly. That particular poster is always complaining about black people's posts, and yet is silent about a lot of the anti-black comments made on here. Goes to show you that there are a lot of POC out there who look down on black people and think they have the right to dictate how black people feel about things.

And damn near any thread regarding cities such as Detroit, Atlanta, Baltimore, New Orleans, are chock full of passive-aggressive comments about "demographics" or the city being "ghetto" or full of "Democrats." But yet no one has anything to say about those types of posts.
Lol, didn't you just say you're going to ignore my presence in the other thread? You're doing a swell job and again another unwarranted comment considering I never talk about any of those cities except for Atlanta because I previously lived there thus I don't really read those other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 PM
 
Location: DMV Area
872 posts, read 473,332 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It seems San Diego is getting a lot of the "weather" votes. The poll was meant more from a sheer urban/amenities point of view, like, I was in NYC or Chicago, now I'm here and it's still got some muscle - I can live with this.
San Diego has a lot of urban amenities for a city of its size, plus the weather is great the vast majority of the year. It actually has a great combination of West-coast urban with suburbia within the city limits. But it may feel sleepy to a New Yorker, but hey, beaches and weather. And LA is close enough if someone needs their megacity fix.

Atlanta isn't that urban of a city at all in the traditional sense, but has a lot of amenities and is the major city/metro area for that region, and is a huge transportation hub, lots of cultural amenities, etc. Quite a few New Yorkers have relocated to the area since the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Baltimore - Richmond
433 posts, read 243,051 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
So my agenda is call out racists comments? I'm sorry but I don't read every thread and in the threads I actively partake in I've mostly seen this scenario since I started saying something. If you have examples of such please do share as I feel the same way coming from any direction. I also said just a few comments above, it's wrong from both sides.
Ok, I've been doing more reading than posting lately so I'll give you my opinion (opinion) on this matter. I have seen you in several threads lately making these type of comments

"Exactly.. How does one sided racism get a pass yet the reverse is ok."

"Well, if my property value fell I would consider selling and moving to.. purely from a financial loss point of view. I'm not a millionaire so I have to manage what I have. That still doesn't mean the White person moving is necessarily racist. I don't disagree that some would but I don't believe all would be racially motivated. Did crime go up? Did taxes increase? Did prices fall? There are many considerations for ones financial investment."

"I don't disagree with you regarding the issues we have in our country. Trust me, as a double minority myself I wholeheartedly agree with you but not all White people would move away just because some Black folks moved in. I feel as though it's being unfair to the White people who actually don't think or would behave this way. We should celebrate our allies rather then pigeonholing them into the same lump group."

"Is it just me or do Black people get a pass on making general sweeping comments about White people? Like on another thread stating all white girls that "love" Boston must be racist because there's less Black people there then in the South. If a statement like the above was made in reverse Im sure there would be more uproar. General curiosity here."

"Agree, if something like this was said about Black Girls, there would've been a lot more issues. As if a White girl can't love Boston without being racist. It's amazing how the Mods let these things go while shutting down entire threads because of silly arguing."

It is nothing wrong with calling out racism, nothing at all. I think that what posters have been critiquing you on is the way you pretend to not know that plenty of that is happening on the other end. You state that you have never seen these types of statements made towards black people on here. I feel as though that makes it hard for people to take your assertions as genuine because there are often down right racist things said on here toward black, hispanic and muslim individuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
White lives matter, where are the marches? LMAO Where are all the fake outrage?Questions over why Minnesota cops had body cameras off during shooting of Australian woman | Fox News
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
The Somali idiot needs to be at minimum charged with negligent homicide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The government could do every one of the things you asked for here and blacks would keep regressing in this country. While every other minority group in the US will continue to make great strides forward, blacks will find a way to self destruct and remain in a perpetual state of "needing their inheritance". You really think that would fix anything?

Even if Trump was to sign a bill giving blacks everything you just asked for, they would still hate him and vote 93% democratic on the next election cycle. They like it just where they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I would be surprised if most thugs care at all about politics.
From the outside looking in, it does seem as though you only call out this type of thing when it is coming from a black person. I think people find that odd, especially because you have said that you are a double minority. This stuff happens every day on here and it comes from both directions but you have repeatedly stated that you only see it coming from black people. There are also a lot of threads here where the entire premise is race baiting black people. When you are able to post so frequently here but yet claim to never have seen this happening toward black people it 'feels' like you may have an agenda. Like you are policing the posts of black people or "setting the black racists straight". It is odd to say the least. People refer to 'The Blacks' so much on here I thought it was a family name when I first joined back in January. If you truly have never seen this done here then I will take your word for it. However, I don't think that it is your responsibility to yell racist at black people every time they say something that you don't agree with. I don't want you to feel like I'm bashing you or being argumentative, I just wanted to give my opinion (opinion) of what I have seen here in regards to this matter. I also don't want to hijack this thread so I will leave this alone.

Last edited by mpier015; 07-24-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,919,123 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Ok, I've been doing more reading than posting lately so I'll give you my opinion (opinion) on this matter. I have seen you in several threads lately making these type of comments

"Exactly.. How does one sided racism get a pass yet the reverse is ok."

"Well, if my property value fell I would consider selling and moving to.. purely from a financial loss point of view. I'm not a millionaire so I have to manage what I have. That still doesn't mean the White person moving is necessarily racist. I don't disagree that some would but I don't believe all would be racially motivated. Did crime go up? Did taxes increase? Did prices fall? There are many considerations for ones financial investment."

"I don't disagree with you regarding the issues we have in our country. Trust me, as a double minority myself I wholeheartedly agree with you but not all White people would move away just because some Black folks moved in. I feel as though it's being unfair to the White people who actually don't think or would behave this way. We should celebrate our allies rather then pigeonholing them into the same lump group."

"Is it just me or do Black people get a pass on making general sweeping comments about White people? Like on another thread stating all white girls that "love" Boston must be racist because there's less Black people there then in the South. If a statement like the above was made in reverse Im sure there would be more uproar. General curiosity here."

"Agree, if something like this was said about Black Girls, there would've been a lot more issues. As if a White girl can't love Boston without being racist. It's amazing how the Mods let these things go while shutting down entire threads because of silly arguing."

It is nothing wrong with calling out racism, nothing at all. I think that what posters have been critiquing you on is the way you pretend to not know that plenty of that is happening on the other end. You state that you have never seen these types of statements made towards black people on here. I feel as though that makes it hard for people to take your assertions as less than genuine because there are often down right racist things said on here toward black, hispanic and muslim individuals

From the outside looking in, it does seem as though you only call out this type of thing when it is coming from a black person. I think people find that odd, especially because you have said that you are a double minority. This stuff happens every day on here and it comes from both directions but you have repeatedly stated that you only see it coming from black people. There are also a lot of threads here where the entire premise is race baiting black people. When you are able to post so frequently here but yet claim to never have seen this happening toward black people it 'feels' like you may have an agenda. Like you are policing the post of black people or "setting the black racists straight". It is odd to say the least. People refer to 'The Blacks' so much on here I thought it was a family name when I first joined back in January. If you truly have never seen this done here then I will take your word for it. However, I don't think that it is your responsibility to yell racist at black people every time they say something that you don't agree with. I don't want you to feel like I'm bashing you or being argumentative, I just wanted to give my opinion (opinion) of what I have seen here in regards to this matter. I also don't want to hijack this thread so I will leave this alone.
Am I a part of those threads you quoted on the bottom half of your post because I haven't read those. I don't read every thread and if the topic is of no interest to me then I really don't read them. Those posters are not familiar either. Those are all terrible and I would've definitely said something. I never stated that the reverse doesn't happen, I just called out what I saw in the threads I'm partaking in.

Again, my original first post on this thread was recommending SD and a Atlanta poster getting defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Baltimore - Richmond
433 posts, read 243,051 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Am I a part of those threads you quoted on the bottom half of your post because I haven't read those. I don't read every thread and if the topic is of no interest to me then I really don't read them. Those posters are not familiar either. Those are all terrible and I would've definitely said something. I never stated that the reverse doesn't happen, I just called out what I saw in the threads I'm partaking in.
No, you were definitely not apart of any of those conversations at the bottom. I just wanted to give you examples of the type of things that get posted here everyday. When you make statements like "If the same thing was said about black people" you are literally saying that these things are not said about black people. Just because you don't happen to see something does not mean you can act as if it does not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,919,123 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
No, you were definitely not apart of any of those conversations at the bottom. I just wanted to give you examples of the type of things that get posted here everyday. When you make statements like "If the same thing was said about black people" you are literally saying that these things are not said about black people. Just because you don't happen to see something does not mean you can act as if it does not happen.
Thanks. Thought those didn't look familiar. And you are correct, it happens from both ends which I never denied. I only interacted on threads I partook in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM
 
43 posts, read 25,951 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles and I agree completely. San Diego is an overpriced, conservative, white, military beachtown...that's it.
You are so living in 1979. Amazingly, you couldn't be more wrong.
That is exactly what people from LA thought/said almost 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 03:07 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,550 posts, read 17,918,021 times
Reputation: 10691
If the structural nature of the built environment alone is the determinant as to which lower tiered cities will feel comfortable to someone moving from a tier one metro, I suppose that the nature of the tier one metro's built environment needs to be considered. Even then, the specific experience of the individual needs to be considered. Not even in metro NYC does everyone live in a walkable urban environment. Heck, even within NYC itself, not everyone has that experience. Just look at Staten Island as an example.
A similar argument can be made regarding amenities. Is someone looking to replicate a pro sports culture or do they not care about it at all? What about arts' scenes? What about performing arts?
What if someone wants to actually looking to get out of their tier one metro for one reason or another?
If someone is being dragged out of a situation that they love in a tier one metro might not be happy no matter where they go.
So, I suppose that my answer to the OP is that it depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 04:06 PM
 
4,237 posts, read 3,295,872 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Is San Diego actually conservative, or is it just conservative by California standards?
It's a great city; clean, low crime. It's conservative. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top