Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Did you say Atlanta is a bigger City? Nooo... Bigger Metro maybe because the Metro incudes Counties From here to the boonies but city No. You have plenty of Country Towns and rural areas that are included in the Atlanta Metro which boost it's 5,000,000 plus population. San Diego is at around 3,317,000. The City of San Diego it self is a Million City with a population of over 1,400,000 while Atlanta is at just above 472,000, not even a half a million. We have to be careful with this City vs. Metro thing as someone also mentioned earlier. I think some times we give some cities too much credit based on the growth bases and how big we assume them to be all because of the Metro when it's not even the city even though we base Metro's largely of commuting patterns. In all fairness Atlanta gets a lot of credit for areas that spreads nearly 60 to 70 mile away from center sometimes which is crazy and rarely has any thing to do with the cities true culture besides may be a commuting pattern and a little suburban sprawl in between some rural patches and to me that's crazy. Like I said I try to stay out of these arguments due to such Sensitive Natures and some cant take it. I know and get the point of basing or judging cities off of Metros instead of City populations, Lets say like a Jacksonville, vs. Miami situation but we all know its special cases and IMO, Atlanta is one. The case in which Metro Atlanta has several rural counties as empty vaults ready to be filled is going to no doubt bring in growth and be filled for those that don't want big city life but prefer rural but want to be close enough to work, some of which counties and areas that sometimes dont want to have any affiliation with the city. Guess what's going to happen though, one day those gaps will fill and more sprawl on top of more sprawl but nothing unique as in being a City because a majority of that Population will never be in the City but Atlanta continues to stake claim. Way out in the boonies on the other side of Paulding and Carroll does not speak much of what Atlanta image or culture is to me but yet it's called Atlanta. Decatur may be more so, I can see that but not Villa Rica. Don't get mad at me here, i'm just saying. Even with that Decatur is still not the City. I'm just saying there are different layers to this... I just think Atlanta and again, this is my Opinion, I feel it gets too much City Credit when a majority of it's Diversity, Population and happening take place out side of the City when other cities actually hold that diversity and population which is warranted..
What you failed to mention is that the city of San Diego is 325 square miles while the city of Atlanta is only 133 square miles. And you can substitute urbanized area for metro area (which eliminates a lot of the rural outlying areas) and Atlanta still has 1.5M more people than San Diego. Of course, San Diego is denser while Atlanta has no natural barriers and no other large cities in relatively close proximity, but yeah, Atlanta is a bigger place than San Diego and it acts like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What you failed to mention is that the city of San Diego is 325 square miles while the city of Atlanta is only 133 square miles. And you can substitute urbanized area for metro area (which eliminates a lot of the rural outlying areas) and Atlanta still has 1.5M more people than San Diego. Of course, San Diego is denser while Atlanta has no natural barriers and no other large cities in relatively close proximity, but yeah, Atlanta is a bigger place than San Diego and it acts like it.

OTay!!! If you say so, we will have it your way.. Go Go Atlanta, prime rib it is...

Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
OTay!!! If you say so, we will have it your way.. Go Go Atlanta, prime rib it is...
I'm just mentioning some details you conveniently left out.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Well, it seems of the cities I listed, San Diego and Atlanta are clearly more robust targets for someone moving out of a Tier 1 city that wants to maintain a solid urban domicile.

Arguing about Atlanta aside.

I've been to ATL a few times and find it's certainly an urban center. It's a place I'd live if I didn't want to live right in the city. The urban center to me is not desirable, but the metro area has some definite pluses.

SD would likely be too expensive, more of a "wish list" city if the funds allowed for it.

I'm a little disappointed that Nashville didn't score better or get better comments. It seems that while Nashville is rising, the urban core isn't impressive or dense.

I forgot to include Denver. Dangit.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Well, it seems of the cities I listed, San Diego and Atlanta are clearly more robust targets for someone moving out of a Tier 1 city that wants to maintain a solid urban domicile.

I've been to ATL a few times and find it's certainly an urban center. It's a place I'd live if I didn't want to live right in the city. The urban center to me is not desirable, but the metro area has some definite pluses.

SD would likely be too expensive, more of a "wish list" city if the funds allowed for it.

I'm a little disappointed that Nashville didn't score better or get better comments. It seems that while Nashville is rising, the urban core isn't impressive or dense.

Denver would have been a good choice to add. Ditto with Seattle.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
He always interjects Atlanta into where it doesn't belong, his reality is a bit skewed.
As do you, repeatedly.

To say nothing of your own very skewed reality.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As do you, repeatedly.

To say nothing of your own very skewed reality.
Welcome back kiddo. Missed you Alot of other members seem to agree that Atlanta isn't the be all end all for urbanity and amenities like the OP asked.

Agreed with the above two posts. Seattle and Denver would've been good options that would've made this a bit more interesting. Maybe even Minneapolis and Portland.

Last edited by Ebck120; 08-02-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Agreed with the above two posts. Seattle and Denver would've been good options that would've made this a bit more interesting. Maybe even Minneapolis and Portland.
I kept Seattle, MPLS and Portland off on purpose. Those cities, for various reasons, aren't ones I'd ever target. I know they get a lot of love on CD, but way, way too much drizzle and clouds in Seattle and Portland for my taste, and MPLS is just that little bit too cold.

I should have definitely added Denver though.

If I were to ever leave the Chicago area and seek a new, urban life elsewhere, I'm probably narrowing the field to:

Denver
San Diego
Perhaps Richmond or Raleigh
Nashville if there is more infill in the next 10 years...but it looks like it's not ready yet.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
I kept Seattle, MPLS and Portland off on purpose. Those cities, for various reasons, aren't ones I'd ever target. I know they get a lot of love on CD, but way, way too much drizzle and clouds in Seattle and Portland for my taste, and MPLS is just that little bit too cold.

I should have definitely added Denver though.

If I were to ever leave the Chicago area and seek a new, urban life elsewhere, I'm probably narrowing the field to:

Denver
San Diego
Perhaps Richmond or Raleigh
Nashville if there is more infill in the next 10 years...but it looks like it's not ready yet.
Have you been to Richmond and Raleigh? Both are nice but nothing about Raleigh is urban and Richmond will be a nice surprise, very urban and walkable core plus DC is close by. I lived in Chicago too and agree with your assessments on the potential next cities except Raleigh is the outlier. Nashville was my second choice after SD out of your original list of options. Any thoughts on Pittsburgh?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:24 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:

I actually think Nashville is a good choice and it's developing it's Inner core as well as it's Suburbs rapidly. There has always been a bias against Nashville and I would hardly expect it to win in these types of polls especially against a lot of Cities listed, not because it doesn't match up but just the fact a lot of people voting have never been and are going straight off of perception or what they are thinking it's like. Not saying some on here have not experienced the City. IMO Nashville's biggest problem is its Mass Transit. It's far Too Big and it's growth rate is way past its current MTA bus system and 1 Commuter Rail line. That will implode real quick at its rate of growth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City