Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I don't really care.
The amount of energy you're devoting to this subject demonstrates otherwise.

If you didn't really care, you'd acknowledge the fact that the poll results would pretty much be the same if you replaced Atlanta with any other inland city except Chicago. The "cool kids" Denver and Minneapolis could perhaps tighten things up a bit, but coastal California is...coastal California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The amount of energy you're devoting to this subject demonstrates otherwise.

If you didn't really care, you'd acknowledge the fact that the poll results would pretty much be the same if you replaced Atlanta with any other inland city except Chicago. The "cool kids" Denver and Minneapolis could perhaps tighten things up a bit, but coastal California is...coastal California.
Its entertaining tho and helps break out the day. Also I thought I acknowledged what you are saying. Coastal bias, cool factor etc.. Im not knocking Atlantas performance on paper here.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Liars lose all credit and credibility. And to claim that San Diego doesn't 'spread out as much' is ridiculous, and anyone that has been to both knows it. :Hamd:
To be fair, while San Diego and its suburbs sprawl quite a bit, it's relatively compact compared to most other Western Metros because of its location between the ocean and mountains along with Camp Pendleton to the North and Mexico to the South. It's a large city, but it doesn't spread out as much as the ATL area due to having more geographic constraints and barriers, plus water lines play a role in limiting the amount of sprawl it has.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If you're a commercial real estate guy, then you should already know what cities are considered Gateway Cities in our industry. I only referenced that link because it actually gave a list for people not in this arena. You already know which cities are Tier 1 and this is understood globally in our industry.

What U.S. city would you, or your company, consider Tier 1 globally that isn't already listed?
It's not the list I disagree with, it's the idea that one company controls these things or that there's a unanimous take. They don't, and there isn't.

That said, Seattle is sometimes listed, though I think it's borderline. Maybe it's because I'm in a borderline city that "are we Tier 1" has been a topic at industry breakfasts more than once.

My employer builds in a lot of sectors -- multifamily, office, biotech, hotel, retail, education, medical, and so on. And within those depending on what's being counted, such as offshore dollars etc. The tiers vary by sector and who's talking.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Atlanta is a Tier 1 city.

Exactly.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly.
point proven about Atlanta posters, delusional perhaps.. Insecurity? Be objective.... I barely think DC is a tier 1 city for goodness sakes

Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Quote:
point proven about Atlanta posters, delusional perhaps.. Insecurity? Be objective.... I barely think DC is a tier 1 city for goodness sakes
I've not read every post but what's your criteria for a "Tier 1" city? I don't live in DC but it's one of the most powerful important places...just curious!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I've not read every post but what's your criteria for a "Tier 1" city? I don't live in DC but it's one of the most powerful important places...just curious!
Well, I love DC, it's a great city, one of the best and I currently live in DC actually. I do however think it lacks diversity on a world class scale from a subculture perspective. We lack a creative scene, we lack unique enclaves etc.

I was just saying how Atlanta posters/boosters think it is tier 1 when I question DC's status sometimes. I'm being objective which some seem to have a hard time doing. Cough cough JMatl, even if it's opinion based. If you read through the thread you'll see that no finite evidence was said against Atlanta besides people's personal experience and he says that's alternative facts because he disagrees. He probably doesn't know he's doing Atlanta a disservice rather then the reverse by sounding so ignorant.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
aThere is no way Atlanta is a Tier 1 world city.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
aThere is no way Atlanta is a Tier 1 world city.
I agree. again, it's Atlanta posters and boosters that argue it. Also you can't dislike it btw.. And I mean personally because you know it's growing exponentially so everyone should love it. Common theme with lots of threads with Atl in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City