U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,700,116 times

Advertisements

Surprised Columbia is winning by so much. Little Rock is closer to the mountains, it's about as far away from Dallas and Columbia is from Atlanta, it's about as far from Memphis as Columbia is from Charlotte and I think Memphis would be about an equal draw as Charlotte. Columbia has USC downtown and is closer to the beach and Charleston and Savannah, I think those are it's main advantages but I've never spent time in Columbia either but I would imagine they offer the same amenities being the same size. I would guess Columbia is growing much faster though with more jobs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 04:17 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,693,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Surprised Columbia is winning by so much. Little Rock is closer to the mountains, it's about as far away from Dallas and Columbia is from Atlanta, it's about as far from Memphis as Columbia is from Charlotte and I think Memphis would be about an equal draw as Charlotte. Columbia has USC downtown and is closer to the beach and Charleston and Savannah, I think those are it's main advantages but I've never spent time in Columbia either but I would imagine they offer the same amenities being the same size. I would guess Columbia is growing much faster though with more jobs.

Not to get too off topic, but Charlotte >>> Memphis by far. I'd much rather be 2 hours from Charlotte 6 hours from DC than 2 hours from Memphis 6 hours Dallas. I think Little Rock has more tree cover and is much hillier, which is important to me but I'd still ultimately pick Columbia. Little Rock is closer to just the Ozarks which are pretty in their own right but Columbia is only 2 hours to the more impressive Apps.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:53 PM
BMI

6,521 posts, read 3,788,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I like Columbia because of its proximity to Myrtle Beach.

That's all I have. lol
Agree.

Been to both, I like where Columbia is located better.

It even has palm trees, I've seen them at the state capital building,
makes sense as the palmetto is the state tree, it's even on the very cool state flag

Closer to what I like....Smoky Mtns,
Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Savannah, Atlanta, DC, Florida too.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:07 AM

3,320 posts, read 2,241,294 times
Quote:
Neither of these two cities are truly impressive, but I think most would find Columbia's location more appealing, unless they just aren't coastal people or fans of South Carolina...

Charlotte is a much greater city than Memphis. I've lived in both. They are not an equal draw...

I remember you saying you'd never been to Little Rock. They both are probably at the Bottom of their regional tier of peer cities. Little Rock is only going to compare well to much smaller cities like Jackson, Shreveport, etc...

It's not even close; it's Columbia. And I'm not a mountain or beach guy, though those would extend Columbia's advantage. The proximity to other urban locations is a huge advantage for Columbia, which is very centrally located. Little Rock is only close to Memphis. It is a very isolated city...

Crime
Again, I'm one of these guys that doesn't factor this much into a city because one could choose to live in a low crime area anywhere. That said, Columbia is going to smoke Little Rock here, too. Little Rock isn't awful (not to me, anyway, and I've spent more time than I care to admit in some if it's worst areas), but it's worst areas are worse than Columbia's, easily....Carolina cities in general have a fascinating dynamic of being much less violent cities compared to similarly-sized cities around the country...

Nightlife
Likely closer to a draw here, though I'd think Columbia's would have the edge. Neither of these cities have a reputation as nightlife destinations compared to their peer cities...

Outdoor Rec
Columbia probably has the edge here too, but they are close in this regard...

Education
Columbia, easily...

Neighborhoods
I find this to be a draw and probably the closest category. Columbia has a slightly higher overall walk score, and many more neighborhoods with higher walkability than Little Rock....but neither of these two cities are winning an urban form award. The scale of the interesting neighborhoods in both is roughly equal, and both have interesting areas...

Arts
Columbia, easily...

Sports
Columbia just has the huge advantage with USC. Also a better sports culture overall; it's a sports town...

Suburbs
Who cares? Lol....probably Columbia, though...

Transportation
Likely Columbia....

Listen, Little Rock sorely lags all of its peer cities in nearly all metrics. I'm not sure why anyone would want to love there unless a)you have family ties to the area, or b)you prefer a very slow paced, insular city with decent size (730,000). Any other reason one could do better elsewhere. The only reason I consider Little Rock a peer to Columbia and other cities is because of the size of its economy. It's losing nearly every category and losing many of them handily. This head to head is more telling of just how far Little Rock is falling behind it's peers, than it is of how great Columbia actually is---and Columbia is cool, but even it is probably only thrashing Little Rock like this. Nobody else...

Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 AM

5,059 posts, read 3,477,383 times
Quote:
Charlotte isn't underrated in general, but it is underrated on CD. Memphis is nowhere close to it. Like it's not close. Even just from a tourist standpoint, there's a lot more to do in Charlotte than people think or want to give it credit for.

Columbia is in that sweet spot, right in the middle of Atlanta, Charlotte, the coast, and the Blue Ridge. And then there's I26 to take you to 95 or 85. Columbia doesn't seem like a "destination" city, but it still has a lot going for it and is more active than people think.

And while it's sprawled like any other sunbelt, the city is still infilling and densifying downtown, trying to remove those ugly surface lots. Columbia is on the up. Don't really know what LR is doing in comparison.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:45 PM
sub

500 posts, read 261,342 times
Little Rock's not that bad. I'd say it's generally on the up and up. Decently laid out and without excessive sprawl, at least by modern standards.
Not familiar with Columbia, but South Carolina does NOT strike me as being significantly better or even all that different from Arkansas, save for the coast.
Smaller cities like these have to rely on outlying areas more.
Neither appeal to me.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:44 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Little Rock's not that bad. I'd say it's generally on the up and up. Decently laid out and without excessive sprawl, at least by modern standards.
Not familiar with Columbia, but South Carolina does NOT strike me as being significantly better or even all that different from Arkansas, save for the coast.
Neither appeal to me.
Not particularly, Charleston is rather unique compared to anything in Arkansas. Columbia is comparable to Little Rock, though. Charleston and Greenville are better than Little Rock in many regards.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Not particularly, Charleston is rather unique compared to anything in Arkansas. Columbia is comparable to Little Rock, though. Charleston and Greenville are better than Little Rock in many regards.
Totally agree. I was very underwhelmed with LR. It's like a baby Oklahoma City and that's not saying much.

It is awful the worst nightlife I have seen for a medium sized city. I was also surpirsed at the sprawl down 30 and 530...for such a small metro there is no need for that! It's clear this is a suburban minded town.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:56 AM
sub

500 posts, read 261,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Totally agree. I was very underwhelmed with LR. It's like a baby Oklahoma City and that's not saying much.

It is awful the worst nightlife I have seen for a medium sized city. I was also surpirsed at the sprawl down 30 and 530...for such a small metro there is no need for that! It's clear this is a suburban minded town.
Perhaps you're mistaken about 530. It's largely undeveloped.
What you see along 30 are indeed suburbs: Bryant and Benton. They do have that Texas frontage road look though, that isn't very appealing at all.
Little Rock is far more lush, green, and hilly than OKC, and generally more visually interesting. I've personally never noticed any similarities between the two.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 AM

13,976 posts, read 18,700,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Neither of these two cities are truly impressive, but I think most would find Columbia's location more appealing, unless they just aren't coastal people or fans of South Carolina...

Charlotte is a much greater city than Memphis. I've lived in both. They are not an equal draw...

I remember you saying you'd never been to Little Rock. They both are probably at the Bottom of their regional tier of peer cities. Little Rock is only going to compare well to much smaller cities like Jackson, Shreveport, etc...

It's not even close; it's Columbia. And I'm not a mountain or beach guy, though those would extend Columbia's advantage. The proximity to other urban locations is a huge advantage for Columbia, which is very centrally located. Little Rock is only close to Memphis. It is a very isolated city...

Crime
Again, I'm one of these guys that doesn't factor this much into a city because one could choose to live in a low crime area anywhere. That said, Columbia is going to smoke Little Rock here, too. Little Rock isn't awful (not to me, anyway, and I've spent more time than I care to admit in some if it's worst areas), but it's worst areas are worse than Columbia's, easily....Carolina cities in general have a fascinating dynamic of being much less violent cities compared to similarly-sized cities around the country...

Nightlife
Likely closer to a draw here, though I'd think Columbia's would have the edge. Neither of these cities have a reputation as nightlife destinations compared to their peer cities...

Outdoor Rec
Columbia probably has the edge here too, but they are close in this regard...

Education
Columbia, easily...

Neighborhoods
I find this to be a draw and probably the closest category. Columbia has a slightly higher overall walk score, and many more neighborhoods with higher walkability than Little Rock....but neither of these two cities are winning an urban form award. The scale of the interesting neighborhoods in both is roughly equal, and both have interesting areas...

Arts
Columbia, easily...

Sports
Columbia just has the huge advantage with USC. Also a better sports culture overall; it's a sports town...

Suburbs
Who cares? Lol....probably Columbia, though...

Transportation
Likely Columbia....

Listen, Little Rock sorely lags all of its peer cities in nearly all metrics. I'm not sure why anyone would want to love there unless a)you have family ties to the area, or b)you prefer a very slow paced, insular city with decent size (730,000). Any other reason one could do better elsewhere. The only reason I consider Little Rock a peer to Columbia and other cities is because of the size of its economy. It's losing nearly every category and losing many of them handily. This head to head is more telling of just how far Little Rock is falling behind it's peers, than it is of how great Columbia actually is---and Columbia is cool, but even it is probably only thrashing Little Rock like this. Nobody else...
I've been to Little Rock twice and the Oauchita Mountains once when camping.

I can't say that I'm a fan of South Carolina as a whole, and Myrtle Beach is a terrible city to me (nothing to do), Charleston is better than anything near Little Rock but I've been to Charlotte a few times, going again in two weeks but I don't remember anything being worth a visit for tourists. Atlanta offers the same things as Dallas. Columbia normally is near the top of its tier on CD, I just think that Little Rock is underrated and it's a far better area than Shreveport or Jackson.

I'll give Columbia location, it's close to Atlanta, Asheville/Blue Ridge Mountains, and Charleston/Savannah. But Little Rock is close to Dallas, Memphis, and the Ozarks/Oauchitas. The only major advantage Columbia has is the beach, LR is closer to the mountains and a 5m+ metro is a few hours away.

I had a good night at a few bars in three different areas in LR, Electric Cowboy closes at 4am. I would assume that LR has better outdoor recreation as far as natural surroundings but Columbia may have better infrastructure.

I can't imagine that Little Rock offers much less to do, things to see, offers less natural amenities, is anymore sprawled out, etc than Columbia and that's what most people here care about. LOL Little Rock even has a streetcar. I get that Columbia is better for families and better QOL overall but I can't imagine that Little Rock is that far behind where is compared to Shreveport and Jackson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Neither appeal to me.
I agree with this. Outside of the coast, I can't say anything in SC appeals to me. Weekend trips aren't common for most people and it seems to me that Little Rock's immediate surroundings/offerings are equal to or better than Columbia's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or