U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:11 PM

3,466 posts, read 2,587,922 times

Advertisements

I would consider living in either one, if opportunity for positive career move, family movement, or otherwise dictated that I do so. Neither would be my first choice, but neither is all that bad either, if I really prioritized working in a state capital, or a low COL, or by a state university too (I'm in higher ed), it would increase the chances I wound up in one of these places.

Ah. Yeah, I would generally agree with that also (making sure you're okay with living in said place first, but that location would be something I would weigh as well.) We probably don't disagree overall then, I just wanted to clarify.

I am a "city" person in general, and would say that I like a reasonably to very big/urban place (Copenhagen is probably my favorite city I have been around for example). That being said though, as long as the MSA is above 200K, and there is another larger city within a reasonable distance, I would at very least consider the place. On the contrary, there are a number of very large US cities that I would not have high on my list, for a number of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,150,384 times
I would choose Little Rock. Columbia is hot as hades. The low country of South Carolina is the most miserable place I have ever vacationed. Greys Ferry Lake in Arkansas is very nice. Only change to that would be if you hate snow. Columbia hardly ever gets snow.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,734,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would choose Little Rock. Columbia is hot as hades. The low country of South Carolina is the most miserable place I have ever vacationed. Greys Ferry Lake in Arkansas is very nice. Only change to that would be if you hate snow. Columbia hardly ever gets snow.
How much does it snow? Can't be that much.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:26 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've heard a lot of criticisms of Myrtle Beach, but this is the first I'm hearing that it has nothing to do.
If you are going to the beach with children, Carolina Beach is so much better than Myrtle. There is Fort Fisher, the aquarium, U. S. S. North Carolina, parks in Wilmington and boat rides at Wilmington by the river. We never ran out of something to do. We took the ferry across to the Southport area where there is Orton Plantation and historical ruins and a trail to walk at a park there. We go to the ocean in early morning and then the pool after we spend the day sightseeing. We are not lie on the beach people. Our children are grown now. One trip to Myrtle Beach when they were small was enough for us. After that it was always Carolina Beach for us.

Myrtle is more a place to spend money, cruise the streets and show off your body in your new bathing suit. We like Myrtle Beach in off season but in prime time you will find it almost impossible to go anywhere away from your condo location.

Last edited by NCN; 08-03-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 05:33 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How much does it snow? Can't be that much.
Never been there in winter but I am sure it is more than Columbia.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Little-Rock-Arkansas.html Not much as I thought.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...-Carolina.html

Last edited by NCN; 08-03-2017 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 PM

5,060 posts, read 3,491,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Columbia is not in the Lowcountry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or