U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 PM
JJG

12,908 posts, read 18,415,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Wow, CUSA actually has good coverage. If it was me, I'd do:

1. Miami
2. Nashville/Houston
4. San Antonio/Charlotte
6. Boca Raton
7. Birmingham
8. Denton
9. El Paso
10. Hattiesburg
Yeah, I keep forgetting that the C-USA and American are "big city friendly" conferences, outside of Hattiesburg, Stoors, Greenville, and Wichita. Because Denton is a DFW suburb, I count it as just being part of a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:03 AM

52,657 posts, read 75,502,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, I keep forgetting that the C-USA and American are "big city friendly" conferences, outside of Hattiesburg, Stoors, Greenville, and Wichita. Because Denton is a DFW suburb, I count it as just being part of a large city.
Even with UConn, they have a lot of their major sporting events in Hartford, which at least over 1 million in the metro.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM
JJG

12,908 posts, read 18,415,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even with UConn, they have a lot of their major sporting events in Hartford, which at least over 1 million in the metro.
Considering how small Connecticut is, I should have realized that it wouldn't be too far from Hartford.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:32 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,570,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd agree with the Ivy League cities making that list to be honest, bar Columbia and Harvard, and maybe Princeton, although I don't know too much about it.

I've heard it said many times that often the most prestigous schools are in the roughest areas and I feel like that saying does tend to be true with most of the places in the Ivy League. Philly and New Haven most noticeably, but rural upstate New York and New Hampshire are also unfortunately prone to some serious drug abuse problems and poverty/unemployment. The weather in most of the Ivy League towns is also a pretty common deterrent to those areas I think as well.
Actually that view is very dated... UPenn is in University City, which has been significantly built up over the last 2 decades, and is one of hottest, most desirable RE (and tourist destination) in Philly. RE values in U. City have skyrocketed, and even the buffer areas with (sometimes rough) West Philly have significantly gentrified and increased in value. And it's extremely walkable and transit-friendly with a mix of the Market-Frankford el, all 5 subway surface lines, Amtrak and Regional Rail (at 30th Street and the Univ. City rail stations). There some beautiful Victorian Architecture in U. City and it has a Euro feeling to it. Very diverse.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 AM

3,974 posts, read 1,941,937 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd agree with the Ivy League cities making that list to be honest, bar Columbia and Harvard, and maybe Princeton, although I don't know too much about it.

I've heard it said many times that often the most prestigous schools are in the roughest areas and I feel like that saying does tend to be true with most of the places in the Ivy League. Philly and New Haven most noticeably, but rural upstate New York and New Hampshire are also unfortunately prone to some serious drug abuse problems and poverty/unemployment. The weather in most of the Ivy League towns is also a pretty common deterrent to those areas I think as well.
on the metro level princeton would be n.y.c. though closer in feel to philly and upenn would be philly, brown would be providence, yale would be new haven (kinda' a stretch).

what league do you propose is better ?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Ithaca, while small, is surprisingly urban for its size and steadily growing. Rural upstate NY has those issues in parts to some degree, but I wouldn't say that it is a leading area in that regard.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:32 PM

5,589 posts, read 5,515,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Pullman, Washington is perhaps one of the best "pure" college towns of the major conferences, because there is literally very little going on there than Washington State University. Yeah, the weather is mostly miserable, and it is isolated (though only about 90 minutes from Spokane). But what makes it great is it is purely a college town, doesn't pretend to be anything more or less. I'm sure there are others like it, but perhaps not at that conference level.
The Pac is kind of weird because Pullman and Corvallis are the only "true" college towns in the conference. And Corvallis has a lot more going on than Pullman, BUT if you add Moscow, Idaho and the University of Idaho to the Pullman equation I think Pullman at least draws even. Pullman and Moscow essentially function as one community. With this you get twice as many community and University events and you get two different downtowns for eating and partying.

Of course, in Corvallis, Eugene is about 35 minutes away do an OSU/Corvallis resident can access Eugene easily but Pullman and Moscow are really only separated by the airport they both share.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:27 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,079,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I'll do the ACC since I grew up in NC and went to UNC (bias revealed). My rankings are based on where I think a student would have the most enjoyable college experience. I tended to rank higher places where students have their own section of town, lots of college bars, good energy, etc. I also gave points to the overall niceness of the town/city where the college is located.

ACC:

College Town/Small City:
1/2- Chapel Hill, Charlottesville
3/4- Blacksburg, Clemson
5 - Winston Salem
6 - Durham
7- Tallahassee
8- Syracuse

Larger Cities (300,000+)
1/2 - Raleigh, Louisville
3,4 - Boston, Pittsburgh
5, 6 - Atlanta, Miami
I agree with this...to a T.

The person who ranked Raleigh ahead of Chapel Hill in college-town vibe based on aesthetics and "good sports"...must be drunk right now.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I agree with this...to a T.

The person who ranked Raleigh ahead of Chapel Hill in college-town vibe based on aesthetics and "good sports"...must be drunk right now.
Given that list, this may surprise some people: Here's Why Syracuse Is The Best Party School In The Country - Business Insider

It has slipped a little bit in more recent years though. https://thetab.com/us/syracuse/2016/...l-ranking-6441

Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 AM

929 posts, read 1,698,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
This is how I see it.

Big 10:

1. College Park aka DC
2. Evanston aka Chicago
3. Minneapolis
4. Ann Arbor
5. Madison
6. New Brunswick
7. Columbus
8. Lincoln
9. State College
10. Champaign
11. Iowa City
12/13/14. Lansing/Bloomington/West Lafayette
That's underranking Bloomington, IMO. Yes it probably doesn't quite have as much things to do as say Ann Arbor or Madison(but how few places are exactly in that caliber?), but I feel it at least can hold its own vs. Lincoln, Champaign, Iowa City, etc. Plus being not too far of a drive away from Indy or Louisville, is nice. Too bad it no longer has Amtrak service anymore, vs. years ago.

Don't know how College Park or New Brunswick are like, since yes they are the new bastard children of the Big 10. Had always wanted to visit State College and East Lansing, but hadn't yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The Pac is kind of weird because Pullman and Corvallis are the only "true" college towns in the conference. And Corvallis has a lot more going on than Pullman, BUT if you add Moscow, Idaho and the University of Idaho to the Pullman equation I think Pullman at least draws even. Pullman and Moscow essentially function as one community. With this you get twice as many community and University events and you get two different downtowns for eating and partying.

Of course, in Corvallis, Eugene is about 35 minutes away do an OSU/Corvallis resident can access Eugene easily but Pullman and Moscow are really only separated by the airport they both share.
Hadn't been to either Pullman or Moscow, but that is nice that one can also do things in nearby Moscow, in addition to Pullman. And vice versa. I suppose Spokane would provide a few extra things you can't get locally in either of those 2 college towns, such as a slightly busier airport? Interesting that both them and Moscow share the same airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or