U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,559,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
That's underranking Bloomington, IMO. Yes it probably doesn't quite have as much things to do as say Ann Arbor or Madison(but how few places are exactly in that caliber?), but I feel it at least can hold its own vs. Lincoln, Champaign, Iowa City, etc. Plus being not too far of a drive away from Indy or Louisville, is nice. Too bad it no longer has Amtrak service anymore, vs. years ago.

Don't know how College Park or New Brunswick are like, since yes they are the new bastard children of the Big 10. Had always wanted to visit State College and East Lansing, but hadn't yet.

Hadn't been to either Pullman or Moscow, but that is nice that one can also do things in nearby Moscow, in addition to Pullman. And vice versa. I suppose Spokane would provide a few extra things you can't get locally in either of those 2 college towns, such as a slightly busier airport? Interesting that both them and Moscow share the same airport.
Only issue is spokane is easily an hour and 15 minutes away with no traffic. As a college town during the year, it's actually quite fun. Of course Seattle triumphs Pullman comparing city vs city, but Seattle isn't an actually college town. I think it would be interesting to rank the best College "towns" in the US. I think Pullman ranks high when compared to cities it's size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 PM

52,854 posts, read 75,883,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given that list, this may surprise some people: Here's Why Syracuse Is The Best Party School In The Country - Business Insider

It has slipped a little bit in more recent years though. https://thetab.com/us/syracuse/2016/...l-ranking-6441
Nevermind: Syracuse University back in top 5 party schools on Princeton Review list | syracuse.com

Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 5,552,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
Yeah, I realise that Tempe isn't a college town, but the reason I feel so many are drawn to it is because it's in an urban center in a state that is seen as having warm weather and a lot of partying.

Boulder isn't small and isolated in compared to most of the country, but in comparison to the cities on this list, like Seattle, LA, Phoenix, it really is one of the more isolated ones. Same goes for Tucson, Eugene, Corvallis, Pullman, etc. They aren't really isolated geographically speaking, sure, but compared to the others on the list they are especially talking for convenience's sake.

Interesting about the "Little Berkeley" thing, I've lived here for over ten years and never heard it. I assume it's probably something that's said more by people who don't live here/have never visited. I could see it being something that's said in the bay area, I remember when I was in my group at freshmen orientation at the U of O in my group of over twenty students I was one of just six students who wasn't from the bay area.

Just to revisit this. I don't think people are drawn to Tempe. It's just a piece of greater Phoenix that runs into Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler etc. There isn't much about Tempe other than Mill Ave that sets it apart from any other part of the east valley.

Boulder is a part of the Denver metro. Just don't get the "small and isolated" about Boulder.

The "Little Berkeley" thing arose out of Eugene's rep as being a hippie/antiwar/counterculture mecca in the '60s and '70s. It may be a dated reference but it was definitely a nickname for Eugene back then.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM

256 posts, read 146,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
I'll give the Pac 12 a shot:

1. Seattle
2. Los Angeles
3. Palo Alto
4. Tempe
5. Boulder
6. Berkeley
7. Tucson
8. Salt Lake City
9. Corvallis
10. Eugene
11. Pullman
Yeah that's my general consensus too, except I'd flip LA and Seattle because I think lots of people are kind of scared off by Seattle's weather. Personally, I'd definitely take Seattle though!
Also interesting, but understandable, that you put Corvallis ahead of Eugene. I'd agree that they're both right next to eachother on the list, but I'd put Eugene ahead as someone from the state who overheard lots of people who chose Eugene over Corvallis because they were afraid it was too bad of a location (aka too boring and cow-town-ish). It is a very well maintained place though, I might add.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 PM

803 posts, read 463,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
This is how I see it.

SEC:

1. Nashville
2. Columbia
3/4. Athens/Knoxville
5. Lexington
6. Baton Rouge
7. College Station
8. Fayetteville
9. Gainesville
10/11. Tuscaloosa/Auburn
12. Oxford
13/14. Starkville/Columbia, MO

ACC:

1. Miami
2. Atlanta
3. Boston
4. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill - all the same
7. Pittsburgh
8. Louisville
9. Charlottesville
10. Clemson
11. Tallahassee
12. Winston Salem
13. Blacksburg
14. Syracuse

Pac12:

1. Los Angeles
2. Seattle
3/4. Tempe/"San Francisco"
5. Boulder
6. Salt Lake City
7. Tuscon
8/9. Eugene/Corvallis
10. Pullman

Big 10:

1. College Park aka DC
2. Evanston aka Chicago
3. Minneapolis
4. Ann Arbor
5. Madison
6. New Brunswick
7. Columbus
8. Lincoln
9. State College
10. Champaign
11. Iowa City
12/13/14. Lansing/Bloomington/West Lafayette

Big 12:

1. Austin
2. Fort Worth
3. Lubbock
4. Norman
5. Morgantown
6. Lawrence
7. Waco
8/9/10. Manhattan/Stillwater/Ames
Are you from Lubbock? I've heard nothing but negative things about the place and to see it ranked this high by anyone is making my head spin. Or, the other places suck that much worse.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 PM

13,790 posts, read 7,425,589 times
Did I miss the Big East???

Old 08-02-2017, 02:37 PM

803 posts, read 463,861 times
These lists are hard because obviously Los Angeles is a more exciting city than Corvalis, for example.

To do this right, these should really be ranked by the campus area. So for UCLA - you look at Westwood, not Los Angeles as a whole. For Northwestern, it's not Chicago, it's Evanston. Otherwise, these are so apples to oranges.

As a college town in the Big Ten, I don't know how anything beats Madison. Of course Chicago, and even Minneapolis, are bigger/better cities, but looking at the college campus and it's surrounding area, Madison is superior to both Northwestern and U of Minnesota.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM
JJG

12,987 posts, read 18,481,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Are you from Lubbock? I've heard nothing but negative things about the place and to see it ranked this high by anyone is making my head spin. Or, the other places suck that much worse.
I'd put Norman over Lubbock, but that's about it.

I think the poster was using city size as a major factor...

Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM

11,558 posts, read 17,962,874 times
Quote:
I've been to a lot of college football games and Lubbock was, by far, the worst town I've visited on that "tour".

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM

796 posts, read 1,094,058 times
Quote:
These lists are hard because obviously Los Angeles is a more exciting city than Corvalis, for example.

To do this right, these should really be ranked by the campus area. So for UCLA - you look at Westwood, not Los Angeles as a whole. For Northwestern, it's not Chicago, it's Evanston. Otherwise, these are so apples to oranges.

As a college town in the Big Ten, I don't know how anything beats Madison. Of course Chicago, and even Minneapolis, are bigger/better cities, but looking at the college campus and it's surrounding area, Madison is superior to both Northwestern and U of Minnesota.
I think that it is obviously subjective as far as what is "better". Madison does have a great campus and some nice off campus areas, but Northwestern is in Evanston is very nice, is directly on Lake Michigan with some spectacular new construction and views of the Chicago skyline, is sandwiched in between the beaches of the north shore suburbs of Chicago and has the city of Chicago just to the south of campus. You can't separate Northwestern from Chicago in my opinion, nor can you separate Westwood from LA, since Westwood is a part of LA. That is just absurd. Madison is an island unto itself in south central Wisconsin; NW and UCLA are a part of a much greater whole, and that whole is the second and third largest cities in the country. You go 10 miles out from Madison you have farm fields, you go 10 miles from NW and UCLA you have a vibrant city. with so much to do.

I also think the ranking of the University of Illinois in some of these posts should be certainly higher than New Brunswick for example. Champaign/Urbana are two very nice towns, and the campus of U of I is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or