U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,772,844 times

Advertisements

Shawnee forest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
Teach me, I went to Chicago last summer and paid $180 for 2 days of parking alone.

should have parked with others

Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM

993 posts, read 490,565 times
Quote:
Teach me, I went to Chicago last summer and paid $180 for 2 days of parking alone.
That's why I take the El while i'm Chicago, and stay in hotels close to O'Hare because they're El train pulls out of there, and they have 24/7 shuttle buses that will pick you up and drop you off back at your hotel.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,572,530 times
Quote:
WHAT?? How is that even possible? Even driving up and parking right under Millennium Park in the heart of downtown for 48 hours would be $44.

Or you could just drive a bit out to the west, south or north and park for free along a street and just walk back to your hotel.

Looking at spothero in dozens of parking garages all around the downtown area the rates for 48 hours vary from $40 to $60.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 PM

105 posts, read 68,851 times
my hotel was right smack dab in the middle of everything (maybe that was my first mistake) and I didnt want my car to be too far from where i was staying. I had friends of the family who live there and they offered for me to park there and take the train to the loop but their neighborhood is somewhere I didn't feel comfortable leaving a nicer car, plus i didn't want to be on the train with suitcases. the location was great for convenience but that about it.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 PM

782 posts, read 1,084,946 times
Quote:
That is crazy, $90 a day? I work in the loop and the most expensive parking is $42 a day in a garage that is in the heart of the loop. I hope that they washed your car and shined your shoes as well for that kind of money. If I look hard, I can actually find free street parking the Loop, but patience and knowledge of to look is key; I get that you were a tourist, but really.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 PM

2,357 posts, read 2,011,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
This thread is about a "road trip."

Fly to CHI from STL? Sure!

Byt why drive to Chicago? No way. Unless you're going to stay in the burbs, require a car to get around and want free parking at the motel driving is a bad option for a weekend get-a-way? A quick flight trip from STL to Chicago is cheap and takes 30 minutes. Catch the Orange line from Midway and you're on State St in the loop within an hour of landing.

Road trip (drive) to Chicago and you deal with:
Tolls
Parking
Traffic
Gas
Time
Airfare from St. Louis to Chicago generally isn't the cheapest. At best you're looking at $200-250 roundtrip. Going from downtown St. Louis to downtown Chicago would be cheaper just in terms of gas money, with a ride on the Amtrak being even cheaper. There's also no tolls on I-55 from the Poplar all the way to its terminus at Lake Shore Dr in Chicago. The only real downsides are time and parking, but even parking can be free if you're staying away from downtown in a neighborhood. If you want to stay downtown and don't want the hassle of worrying about your car, then Amtrak is definitely the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How about Branson in the Ozarks for a shorter weekend trip?
The Lake of the Ozarks is a major weekend getaway for people from KCMO and STL alike. Similar to how locals in Chicago might have a lake house someplace like Michigan, many people have lake homes or condos at the Lake of the Ozarks.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
Quote:
https://spothero.com/chicago/downtown-parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or