U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,580,985 times

Advertisements

I live in Saint Louis and love to take road trips. 5 to 5.5 hrs is max. Here is the listing of cities on our list. What is your favorite and why. There is no right or wrong answers. Just looking for opinions.

Memphis
Kansas City
Chicago
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville
Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 PM

76 posts, read 47,283 times
for a short road trip Louisville is cool

Old 07-24-2017, 08:15 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,938,027 times
Is price a factor? If not, Chicago is the obvious choice for so many reasons that are so obvious that I'm not going to go in depth with specific reasons why.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:15 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,301,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I live in Saint Louis and love to take road trips. 5 to 5.5 hrs is max. Here is the listing of cities on our list. What is your favorite and why. There is no right or wrong answers. Just looking for opinions.

Memphis
Kansas City
Chicago
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville
Nashville
Louisville & Nashville would be my destinations (I am from Louisville as well), and also lived in Nashville awhile.

Louisville has an all around, Legthy amount of things to do. If you enjoy whiskey/bourbon, the bourbon trail and distillery tours are awesome. If you're into baseball, the Louisville Slugger Museum is a must. If you enjoy night life, 4th street live is one of a kind. There are tons of other things, but that's a couple for ya.

Nashville is only about 3 hours from Louisville, so you could do an easy drive there afterwards as well. The nightlife/bar scene in Nashville on Broadway is pretty awesome. The country "theme" bars get nice & wild, an amazing time. Of course there's all the country music type activities if you're into that as well.

Last edited by BurnInTheMil; 07-24-2017 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 PM

3,626 posts, read 8,395,085 times
Milwaukee��
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Kansas City

None are really favorites but worth a visit imo

Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,923,341 times
You have most of the big cities identified you might add Omaha. There are some smaller spots like Eureka Springs or Hot Springs in Arkansas, Springfield Illinois, or Paducah and Kentucky Lake. North along the river road to Louisiana, Hannibal, Quincy, Nauvoo, Davenport, etc.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,580,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Is price a factor? If not, Chicago is the obvious choice for so many reasons that are so obvious that I'm not going to go in depth with specific reasons why.
I've found Chicago can be done on a budget.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 PM
sub

500 posts, read 262,267 times
Chicago: Has everything. Literally.
Kansas City: Has a LOT for it's size. Very affordable. Typically not as crowded, but not a ghost town.
Memphis: Good zoo. Memphis in May (if it' going to be in May) Beale Street, and who can resist a Bass Pro in a pyramid?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,938,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've found Chicago can be done on a budget.
It certainly can be, but if you're staying in each city's downtown, Chicago will be much more expensive on a typical day. I worked at a hotel in Downtown Indianapolis during college, which allowed me to travel to other Midwestern cities often. Chicago is by far the most expensive, especially considering the $60/night parking charge you will pay. You get what you pay for though, and the other cities don't come close to comparing to Chicago in terms of things to do, for obvious reasons.

It'd help if you mentioned what your interests are. It's hard to compare all of these cities as vacation destinations without knowing what you're looking to do. Each have their own pluses and minuses, and they're all decent options for different reasons.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:38 PM

43 posts, read 25,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
This thread is about a "road trip."

Fly to CHI from STL? Sure!

Byt why drive to Chicago? No way. Unless you're going to stay in the burbs, require a car to get around and want free parking at the motel driving is a bad option for a weekend get-a-way? A quick flight trip from STL to Chicago is cheap and takes 30 minutes. Catch the Orange line from Midway and you're on State St in the loop within an hour of landing.

Road trip (drive) to Chicago and you deal with:
Tolls
Parking
Traffic
Gas
Time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or